M39 vs 200 yard steel

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
cleanneon98

M39 vs 200 yard steel

Post by cleanneon98 »

Rainy day yesterday so I went to the range for a while, brought the sand bag with me and shot from a sitting position at a table. Absolutely amazed with this Mosin. I'm admittedly getting to be much better with irons since I've had about 150 rounds of practice, but yesterday I was just nailing this 200 yard target (8"x12" steel) 3/4 times consistently, and with rapid fire trying to get the rifle nice and toasty since I was a bit cold :crazy.gif:. There's also the 5" steel plate on the far left. It took me about 5 tries, but I did manage to nail that too, and later in the day got 2 more hits on it, and plenty on the big one. I then tried to challenge myself and loaded up 5 rounds, free standing not leaning against anything, managed to get 2 hits on the big plate at 200 again. Look for ward to bringing this to the game-lands next week and trying it at 300. I think she's still a great shooter!

Bonus cool

1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M39 vs 200 yard steel

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: nice flame pic!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

nice!! My M39 still shoots high at 200 yards. Which means I can still see what I'm shooting above the sights!! lol I need to get back to the 200 yard range.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Awesome fireball and range.
aussimmo2015

Post by aussimmo2015 »

Awesome pics :thumbsup:

Its interesting you say that yours shoots high at 200yds as I have found the same with mine.

Cleanneon98, what sort of ammo are you using?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

You hit the secret to it! Patience and practice is what it takes. Many of us weekend shooters walk on to the range with a new to us rifle and expect instant success. It just doesn't happen that way, at least not to me. I find that about the 3rd trip I start figuring out what I am doing wrong or right. Sometimes I hit rifles I just can't hit anything with but someone else pics it up and can't miss! That is a very disappointing feeling but it does happen and should be expected and tolerated I guess. Bill :?
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

I actually like that it hits high. I had the rear leaf on the 200 setting and the front post is an 8.0mm (was a 7.9mm but struck through and replaced by finns). What the high hits let me do is line up my sights right under the target, as if I was resting the bottom of the target on my sight picture, and it will hit roughly 3-4" high. This made hitting the large plate a breeze, and the smaller one was more of a challenge, but 3 hits on it throughout the day left me very happy. I think they are set up this way so that soldiers could aim at the waist-line and hit their targets in the stomach/heart, but have a rather unobstructed view of the target as well. I HATE rifles that shoot low to the point where your POI is not visible from your shooting position. Shooting was done using surplus 147gr from factory 60, wherever that is.
1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
aussimmo2015

Post by aussimmo2015 »

Im using 180gn Seĺlier and bellot in FMJ and its going quite high so its must bd a common trait in thd calibre/rifle. A couple of weeks back I managed to get on to a 12inch target at 380 meters. The target was of a brush turkey silouhette. My site was set at about 275m (3/4 between 200-300 on the sight) and I was still finding an aim point at the bottom of the target.