1933 Ishevsk with straight blade front sight?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Fledge

1933 Ishevsk with straight blade front sight?

Post by Fledge »

I have a 1933 Ishevsk 91/30 that has a straight front sight blade. It doesn't look like a proper Russian one. I am guessing a Finn sight. There are no Finn markings on the gun. I am guessing this is not correct. I am looking for opinions. It is another gun I received that had a Finn stock that is a shortened M91 stock, no handguard, and M91 Barrel bands. There is no import mark on it. It is similar to the rifle listed in this thread, but with a straight front sight. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26446 I am thinking another mix master cob job. I would like to make this right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1933 Ishevsk with straight blade front sight?

Post by Longcolt44 »

Need to see more than just the sight. A full shot and one of the barrel markings would help a lot.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Original dragoon rifle? Dragoon parts were still being used to make rifles as late as '33
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I am of the opinion that it is best to back away from any "making it right" projects. In the future you may learn it was already right.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

bunkysdad wrote:I am of the opinion that it is best to back away from any "making it right" projects. In the future you may learn it was already right.
Yeah, that is why I am asking for opinions, so I don't mess it up. I'll probably just leave it as is. I'll add some more pics later.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Does it have a finger joint stock?, wire sling hangers? If it's just a 91/30 with that front sight it might have been somebodys fix for a high shooter :pointup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

It had a Finn finger joint stock and M91 barrel bands. It looks the same as the rifle in this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26446 I posted except it is a 1933 date and has a straight blade sight. It made sense what Junk Yard Dog said about a bunch of these being imported being sporterized, and someone changed it to a Finn stock 20 years ago since they were readily available. I can tell from the wear on the top of the barrel that a hand guard had to have been installed on the barrel at one time since the bluing is worn exactly where the metal tabs are located on the handguard. I bought a 91/30 stock from Numrich and installed it on here thinking I could easily change it back if need be. Here are some pics of it with the new stock. I also included all the markings on the barrel and receiver. They all seem pretty unremarkable to me, but let me know what you think. There are not Finn markings on this gun that I could find. Notice the right hand of the stock behind the rear barrel band is grooved out almost like an M44. Not sure what that is all about, but once again the stock is not original to the gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Interesting gun... The new (old) stock with the single finger slot is interesting too. You see everything with these rifles, that's for sure... Pretty cool though... :vcool:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The front sight with the elevation block and cut-down M91 stock were probably correct as a Finn Training Rifle. A somewhat scarce item.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

martin08 wrote:The front sight with the elevation block and cut-down M91 stock were probably correct as a Finn Training Rifle. A somewhat scarce item.
The Finn training rifle theory has been raised before, but I can't find any info on these anywhere.