N.E.W. M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BigIron2312

N.E.W. M91

Post by BigIron2312 »

Hello, all! I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but I have, through a weird series of events, found myself in possession of a Westinghouse that appears, to my untrained eyes, to be in pretty dang good shape. It appears to have a non-original bolt, possibly more. Between my visiting in-laws, my two toddlers, dogs, and wife, I haven't had time to closely inspect it, or to try to compare any stampings online, so all I'm certain of is that it does not have a curved logo, it does not have a remarked rear sight, and it is a CAI import. I don't know what else I will learn on my own-I don't yet have a good source for N.E.W. marks yet, but I'm trying to find out what I can.
I'll try to get some pics uploaded; in the meantime, I'm curious to know if it's common for those rifles to have Russian manufacture bolts, or if all matching is pretty common?
Thanks, ya'll!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: N.E.W. M91

Post by Darryl »

I moved this to the Mosin forum. I don't see anything that indicates restoration.

Post some photos!

And Welcome to the forums!

Dolk
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Looking forward to some pics.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

BigIron, an all matching Mosin (other than force matched during refurb) is pretty uncommon. Some detailed photographs will help in identifying information on your rifle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy
BigIron2312

Post by BigIron2312 »

Well, folks, I got the kiddos down for nap, so pay no attention to the background scenery.
I'm not real tech savvy, so these photos are coming from my iphone, and may be huge, and in several different posts. Sorry. I hope to someday figure out how to resize and stuff.
I just took some quick pics of some of the more interesting spots on the rifle. I can't remember what the bow and arrow indicates, but it's either Izhevsk or Tula, right?
I'm still amazed at how much bigger this thing is than my other Mosins. Can't believe I lucked into it.
Actually, now that I'm trying to upload images, it won't work, so now I'm goin to try my computer.
Pics shortly!
BigIron2312

Post by BigIron2312 »

first set of photos...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, bow and arrow is Izhevsk, arrow by itself is Chatellerault.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BigIron2312

Post by BigIron2312 »

having some internet issues, but finally got some more loaded. I dunno what else to take pics of.
thanks, Junk Yard Dog, I couldnt remember.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Can you see shiny metal in the letters of the import mark thats near the front sight? The metal looks refinished or coated with something. If so, the import mark will be refinished also instead having been stamped through the finish.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Yeah I see the Century Arms Import mark, but us the serial number stamped on the left hand side of the receiver also? This would make it a later import correct? I am not sure when Century started doing that. It does almost look like there is no shiny metal in the import mark from the picture. The finish almost looks matte black in the photo. Nice that the sight is only in arshins. Nice looking wood.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

The import at the muzzle may have the country it was exported from, Russia or finland.
The front sight is Finnish, not a m91 sight.,
The finish does look different and has zero signs of any handling.
When you take it out of the stock, take some pictures of both the stock and metal. It's an interesting rifle that raises some questions.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 edge.
Kollaa kestää
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Congrats on the American Mosin. I have a NEW, and it's one of my favorite Mosins. Don't sell it. Keep it, shoot it, then maybe hand it down to one of you kiddlings.
BigIron2312

Post by BigIron2312 »

Thanks for all the welcomes, folks.
You folks have already given me more info than I had, and just as soon as I can, I'll pull them bands off and get some pics of the rifle naked. I always tell my buddies-I don't care how much you think you know, somewhere there's a junkie on the matter that makes you look like a fool. I'm fairly well versed in M/N, but I knew I was out of my league with this NEW, and I'm sure glad I followed my own advice!
BigIron2312

Post by BigIron2312 »

I think I did a bad thing.
While removing the front barrel band, I heard a "pop", and these two little pieces of metal hit the floor. Apparently one part slipped onto the screw, and the screw was flared to prevent it's removal. I popped the flare off the screw.
Looked closely at the rear barrel band, should have done the same with the front.
BigIron2312

Post by BigIron2312 »

Ah, now that I put the bands back on, I see how they are suppose to come off...so I broke it. Dang.
Oh, well, the back one was already broke.
Pics coming shortly
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

M91 barrel band clamps work backwards. Tightening (to the right) the captured screw spreads the clamp so it is lose on the stock. Loosening the screw pulls the clamp together.

You did what many many have done.
Kollaa kestää
BigIron2312

Post by BigIron2312 »

More pics. took pics of anything that I saw that might be of interest.
Really need to take a pic of the complete rifle. I'll do that shortly.
BigIron2312

Post by BigIron2312 »

looks like the metal was rough under the stock, but it was refinished at some time...at least, thats how it looks to me. All the stampings look to have been finished over, but I'm far from the expert on NEW mosins...as evidenced by the barrel band screw mishap...
BigIron2312

Post by BigIron2312 »

Well, Lee-online, anything interesting there?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well dang, the old barrel band screw confusion. As you already figured out, it broke. Fortunately they are available on Ebay. You need the entire band as the screw remains permanently attached. Clockwise stretches the band open, counter-clockwise pulls the band back together to snug it back down. Pretty nice machining for a century old Russian design huh? While I am thinking about it the best think you can do is get a good set of hollow ground gun Smith screw drivers. Buggered up screw slots on any firearm are a result of improper tool usage and ruin the appearance of these firearms.