RIP 7.62x54mmR

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Sirex

Re: RIP 7.62x54mmR

Post by Sirex »

Well, after these incidents in the news, and they say the assailants had about 500 rounds in their arsenal, I look over hoping my wife has no idea how much ammo I have.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I have a nice supply of ammo for each caliber I own, the problem is when I see a gun I want but don't currently have that caliber then I need to keep in mind I "need" to set back 1K minimum.

I remember a news report when a guy was arrested at his home and they found an "arsenal", it was like 5 rifles and 9 boxes of ammo. :bonk:
Kollaa kestää
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Lee-online wrote:... I remember a news report when a guy was arrested at his home and they found an "arsenal", it was like 5 rifles and 9 boxes of ammo. :bonk:
The media's idea of an arsenal is less that what I have in front of me cleaning while I wait for the ball to drop at midnight. They really have no clue what is out there, the numbers are just too high for them to wrap their brain around how much that really is.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

So my one crate is looking to be not enough. Considering getting 4 more crates or so. Should I wait for the prices to level back out or will they only continue to go up? I got 2 cases from sportsmansguide a few years back for 189 each shipped
1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

quote="Junk Yard Dog"]
Miller Tyme wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have cases of it stashed away so I am good for my lifetime .

+1, got close to 10,000 rounds in my stash, the key is to stack it high and deep when it's cheap. :thumbsup:
Your down to 10,000? You better grab some now while you still can!

Nope, collect more than I shoot anymore, that ought to last me 4-5 years, at which time most of my collection will probably be sold off since it wont all fit on the boat. ;mywink;
Why does it all have to fit on a boat? planning a midnight run for it using a boat? Simple solution, get a bigger boat .[/quote]

No, the plan right now is to sell the house and head south and live on the boat. I figure I can keep about a dozen of the real gems and sell the rest, besides if I wanted to keep more I would have to reduce the size of the Liquor Locker.

And that sir will never happen.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

cleanneon98 wrote:So my one crate is looking to be not enough. Considering getting 4 more crates or so. Should I wait for the prices to level back out or will they only continue to go up? I got 2 cases from sportsmansguide a few years back for 189 each shipped
If you want it, buy it. I would not wait.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

BubbaDX wrote:
cleanneon98 wrote:So my one crate is looking to be not enough. Considering getting 4 more crates or so. Should I wait for the prices to level back out or will they only continue to go up? I got 2 cases from sportsmansguide a few years back for 189 each shipped
Well, at the moment there is none to buy. I am just trying to figure out what's causing the price jump. Is it future legislation? Present laws? lack of supply?

Depending on the cause, we can see the ammo drop back down to a reasonable price. I remember after Sandy Hook, 22lr was nowhere to be found and when it was available, was INSANELY expensive. It eventually leveled back out. Of course, we are talking about current production ammo, not surplus which is what's there is there.
1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

cleanneon98 wrote:
BubbaDX wrote:
Well, at the moment there is none to buy. I am just trying to figure out what's causing the price jump. Is it future legislation? Present laws? lack of supply?

Depending on the cause, we can see the ammo drop back down to a reasonable price. I remember after Sandy Hook, 22lr was nowhere to be found and when it was available, was INSANELY expensive. It eventually leveled back out. Of course, we are talking about current production ammo, not surplus which is what's there is there.
I noticed the same thing.....everyone is out of stock.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Miller Tyme wrote:quote="Junk Yard Dog"]
Miller Tyme wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have cases of it stashed away so I am good for my lifetime .

+1, got close to 10,000 rounds in my stash, the key is to stack it high and deep when it's cheap. :thumbsup:

Nope, collect more than I shoot anymore, that ought to last me 4-5 years, at which time most of my collection will probably be sold off since it wont all fit on the boat. ;mywink;
Why does it all have to fit on a boat? planning a midnight run for it using a boat? Simple solution, get a bigger boat .

No, the plan right now is to sell the house and head south and live on the boat. I figure I can keep about a dozen of the real gems and sell the rest, besides if I wanted to keep more I would have to reduce the size of the Liquor Locker.

And that sir will never happen.[/quote]What about the hurricanes down there? I knew a guy who sold his nightclub, retired to a large boat and ended up beached on the US virgin islands after a hurricane destroyed his million dollar boat. that was in the late 60's, back to work he went ( he found out he was vastly underinsured) . Big class A RV, that way you could drive your home away from the hurricanes when they come, some of the new huge class a pushers are more luxurious than a five star hotel .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:quote="Junk Yard Dog"]
Miller Tyme wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:

Why does it all have to fit on a boat? planning a midnight run for it using a boat? Simple solution, get a bigger boat .

And that sir will never happen.
What about the hurricanes down there? I knew a guy who sold his nightclub, retired to a large boat and ended up beached on the US virgin islands after a hurricane destroyed his million dollar boat. that was in the late 60's, back to work he went ( he found out he was vastly underinsured) . Big class A RV, that way you could drive your home away from the hurricanes when they come, some of the new huge class a pushers are more luxurious than a five star hotel .[/quote]

Heading to North central Alabama or Mississippi so no need to worry about hurricanes, still close enough to the coast to enjoy trips down there, and still warm enough in the winter to allow use of the boat.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Guess I haven't watched the ammo since the $89 per can prices. I was able to build up about 6-8000 rounds before the supply lowered. Have a good supply of ammo for my other milsurps as well. Will probably outlive me with as little as I shoot...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I know there is a desire to buy ammo by the crate, and 200.00 shipped crates may be on everyone's wish list, but if you can't find a crate or even a spam can you can still buy a box or 2 at a time. Settling for nothing until you find a new supply can leave you dry in a years time. Buying a single box a week can leave you with a emergency supply of 52 boxes in a year, or over a thousand rounds. The cost of ammo is up because the supply is low. When the supply is high again the price will come back down but as in everything when this happens the new low price is almost always a little higher than before.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey by the way Santa Clause brought me a huge supply of bullets, I just have to make them.Image
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I always bought both crates and single spam cans. The single cans were to stash away so I would have one untouched spam can for the collection for each type of ammo I shot in bulk.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Considering that most Eastern European LMGs, GPMGs, and DMRs use 7.62x54R... I believe it will be in production for the considerable future. It's amazing how fast a PKP chews through a spam can.
Soooooo..... importation probably slowed down because of some flare-up in Ukraine, or a port froze over, or some other third thing.

Don't worry about it too much.
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Started laying in supplies to reload for mine.
A1RADIOMAN

Post by A1RADIOMAN »

cleanneon98 wrote:Not only is it expensive, but i can't find it in stock anywhere, and I'm only sitting on one case!
Check the gun auction sites,not cheap by any means but is available.
“Only the dead have seen the end of war.” Plato
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The day I shut my mouth about anything because of fear of what some leftist cocksucker might think of it is the day they bury me. I had an FFL for years, they know who I am, were I am, what I have and I don't give a flying fuck, let them come, single, no kids, lived long enough to do most of what I wanted to do, and starting to become infirm. Come for what's mine, I will wrap myself in the flag, pickup my weapon, turn to face you, and we can all go together, this motherfucker is not afraid to die.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

So are we supposed to give up our right to free speech and have to worry about anything we say also. I say Bullshit. The second Amendment is there to help protect the first Amendment. Only reason I "refrain" from saying exactly what I have is for security reasons, not politicians. Chances are they already know (or will soon) who has what. So what, I have the Constitution behind me and...... I am not afraid those rights will be infringed upon Unless we let them. I'll say and show what I want to....and when I want.

The day we do not have those rights any longer is the day this country will fall.
B24

Post by B24 »

:pointup:
dolk wrote:So are we supposed to give up our right to free speech and have to worry about anything we say also. I say Bullshit. The second Amendment is there to help protect the first Amendment. Only reason I "refrain" from saying exactly what I have is for security reasons, not politicians. Chances are they already know (or will soon) who has what. So what, I have the Constitution behind me and...... I am not afraid those rights will be infringed upon Unless we let them. I'll say and show what I want to....and when I want.

The day we do not have those rights any longer is the day this country will fall.
:pointup: +1