Looking at an M39

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Fledge

Re: Looking at an M39

Post by Fledge »

I think you did good at $350, congrats!
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

Here is another shot of the bore compared to one of my 91/30s. Going to shoot her Sunday, hope it does well

Best shot i could get of the throat. It's not horrible, I don't know, I guess my expectations are too high for this thing

Would it be safe to send a slightly oversized bore brush down to try and break down more of the crud? Perhaps Sunday when I shoot it, maybe fire 5 shots, then soak the barrel in Ballistol, and then pass some patches through it? I'm only being this anal because I hear the M39 are strong shooters, so I am really hoping it is still in that kind of shape. If it shoots the same size groups as my regular 91/30s, I'll be kind of bummed :vsad:
1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

Looking at the lack of the bluing, is it safe to say that this rifle was probably never re-arsenaled after the 1943 stamping?
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Leave the shims as they are, the front probably didn't need anything. Don't tighten the bands any tighter than they were when taking it apart. Shoot it a bunch then clean and it will look much better I'm sure. I would love to own that rifle, a real war hero you have there... M39's rule !
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

Got her cleaned out really really good using Hoppes and Ballistol back and forth in combination with a 30 cal bore brush and patches. Rifling is not as strong as my regular 91/30, kind of disappointing but to be expected. On the up-side the throat looks better than it did at first. Once I got everything cleaned and wiped down, the stock really came to life. I'll have to take some pictures, thinking of possibly doing a showcase submission with it.

Going to take her out to the 100/200 yard range for some testing with 1988 production 147gr surplus ammo. Bringing the above mentioned 91/30 for comparison. Sold my one mosin to a friend who is bringing it. I had a scope on it mounted where the rear sight was but wanted to make room in my cabinet for other things. Thinking of looking for an Enfield and Mauser perhaps. The ammo costs put me off at first, but for firing 50-100 rounds a year out of them is not a budget breaker.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It looks real nice to me. Remember if you run out of patches you can always cut up a old t-shirt for patches. I don't throw away old flannel shirts anymore or t-shirts
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

Well the m39 absolutely blew my mind. I didn't get to shoot the 91/30 too much cause it was hitting low right, so I stuck with the Finn. Was nailing steel over and over at 200 yards. We shot from 2 till sunset, watching the sparks fly off the steel as the sun went down.

The range I belong to is outdoors and has no officers or anything like that. Well of course yesterday some schmuck decided to get Into our business. First he was bitching that our shells were flying in his direction from the AR and AK we were shooting. Then he was bitching that we were using "armor piercing rounds" because he saw sparks, yet they didn't even dent the plate at 200 yards. Luckily he didn't bring much ammo and went home.

So in conclusion, this rifle was definitely worth $350 even as just a shooter. Considering the rarity of it, I feel I made out like a bandit. Only problem is the magazine spring is weak and doesn't want to push the last round up every time. When this happens, the shell I'm trying to get rid of will stay in the bolt but won't pop out. I don't really feel like changing the magazine since its worn perfectly with the rest of the gun, so I was perfectly happy single loading the rounds. Makes the ammo last a little longer too lol
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is why I only shoot on my private range or a friends, if someone walked in there and started bitching they would be stuffed in the trunk of the car and headed to the garden state. The M39 is a Mosin that often surprises people who think Mosins only shoot 7-8 MOA.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

I did get 5 shots in a semi-decent group on paper but using a sandbag, so I wasn't 100% steady. I'll do 5 out of a proper rest and post up.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

cleanneon98 wrote:Is the lack of shims up front normal? If they've been gone, they've been gone probably about a decade. I can't see that there were shims in the front channel anyway (I'd see some kind of marking or rubs maybe) but just wondering, did all the Finn Rifles have them or just some? Should I not worry about them?
Not all rifles "needed" shims. So either it didn't need it, or someone lost them. What matters is, how it shoots. If it shoots good..."don't worry about it"! ;mywink;
Nice looking rifle. Most of the really nice M39's with all that pretty bluing were refurbished by the Finns after the war.

I love the older looking rifles. That is how they should look after going to war and coming home! Not like they served guard duty back at the rear guarding some General's latrine! :chuckles: (just kidding!) ;mywink;

Dolk
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Congrats!! MY old warhorse has hardly any blueing left either. It is by far my favorite bolt gun I have. The rifling is worn, but if I am concerned about accurate shooting I use heavier grain bullets, like 182gr and up, with slightly longer bullets. I cleaned up the crown today with a brass tool and lapping compound, and like yours, my bolt feels super smooth. Has the best trigger of any Mosin I have felt. I love the M39s. I have a supposed unfired 1968 "sneak" rifle with a tag, that I have not shot yet, and not sure if I will. Still in cosmo, and bore looks sharp and new. But I still grab the old warhorse every trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.