M91 lock ring bayonet

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum

M91 lock ring bayonet

Post by WWW »

I'm hoping someone can help identify this bayonet I picked up.

I believe this is a 60 degree variant, but other than that, I'm not sure of it's heritage. First picture shows the only place I can find anything that might be a marking (to the left of the serial number).

Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
martin08

Re: M91 lock ring bayonet

Post by martin08 »

It does appear to be a 60 deg variant, which would narrow its production to the 1905-1910 era. So it would have to be a Tula, Izhevsk or Sestroryetsk.

There is a pretty large area where it looks like it has been scrubbed with a coarse file, possibly eliminating the maker's stamp.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....

Post by WWW »

martin08 wrote:It does appear to be a 60 deg variant, which would narrow its production to the 1905-1910 era. So it would have to be a Tula, Izhevsk or Sestroryetsk.

There is a pretty large area where it looks like it has been scrubbed with a coarse file, possibly eliminating the maker's stamp.
Good info! I am familiar with the Tula and Izhevsk marks, but not the Sestroryetsk mark. I google imaged it, and came up with some of your fine photos, of course.

Then I took another look. Under a different light and angle, I was able to capture what could be part of a faint mark. This area looks like it was partially scrubbed as well. What do you think? Edit: I'm talking about the mark that looks like part of what looks like a "5" or an "S", just like in some of your pictures. Or does that not represent Sestroryetsk? Did they use an "S" as well as the Sestroryetsk arrow? Or is that mark mean something entirely different?

Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I haven't seen any specific letters which would denote a Russian arsenal. If it was Sestroryetsk, it would have the arrow.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....

Post by WWW »

I guess the maker of this one will remain a mystery then. Why would it have been scrubbed in the first place?
entropy

Post by entropy »

Bored Finnish soldier? :vconfused:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien