Antique Mosin Nagant or not?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MuzzleMarc

Antique Mosin Nagant or not?

Post by MuzzleMarc »

Hello guys

Is there any possibility to figure out if a listed Mosin Nagant is antique (pre 1899) if the year isn't mentioned? I know it should be mentioned if somebody is selling such a weapon, but it isn't every time.

MuzzleMarc
martin08

Re: Antique Mosin Nagant or not?

Post by martin08 »

The only way to be sure is to see the receiver tang.

And if you are depending on a seller to read the tang, make sure he doesn't tear the left handed threads out of the bands, and that he knows how to read a tang!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

If the mosin has a round receiver, it isn't an antique. If it has a hex receiver, it's possible that it's an antique, but like martin said, the only way to be sure is to check the tang.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
MuzzleMarc

Post by MuzzleMarc »

Thank you Martin for the information.
Now we hope he knows what he is doing. ;)

MuzzleMarc
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sometimes that tang date has been removed, mostly by the Finns. A few quick ways to tell, if it's a Remington, or Westinghouse M91 then it's not an antique, round receiver as mentioned is not antique. Chances are good that any rifle with a barrel dated after 1899 is not antique. Any Finn built Mosin like the M27, or M39, as well as the Finn barreled M91's can have antique receivers.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MuzzleMarc

Post by MuzzleMarc »

Very interesting and helpful information. Thank you very much :clap:

MuzzleMarc
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Image
Ah, yes.

And if it has the (C) mark for Chatellerault, then there is no question! None of those were built after 1895.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

When I bought my M39 from Kari's dealer in the San Francisco Bay area I had it transferred to my local FFL and they called it in for the background. Then I got it home And found it to be a 1898 receiver. The benefit of not having to transfer guns through a dealer can add up in savings by not paying the fees. Fortunately my dealer didn't charge me the fee.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Some gun shops & dealers still treat an Antique as a regular firearm.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Rongoman wrote:Some gun shops & dealers still treat an Antique as a regular firearm.
Which is annoying, because they don't have to.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

They don't have to but they are too lazy to sit down and try to figure out if it is or not. So they just treat it like the rest.

If people did buy they from them, then they would change, but they have no reason to.

I was in England about 18 or 20 years ago and went into a "Arms and Armour" store. I ended buying a percussion naval boarding pistol and the guy talked me into stuffing it into my luggage. He then gave ma a receipt saying it was an antique. Then he told me to give the receipt to the airlines when I checked in and everything would be OK. That was before all the 911 obviously and damned it he wasn't right. They told me no problem and took my luggage and checked it in.

Those were the old days! 8-) 8-)

Dolk