.22 Pistols?

Rim Fire Firearms
Adam_9130

.22 Pistols?

Post by Adam_9130 »

Anyone know of any good, but cheap .22 pistols? I've heard mixed reviews about the S&W 22a, and I've heard great reviews about the Ruger MK III, and the 22/45. The Smith is about $100 cheaper than the Ruger.
BubbaDX

Re: .22 Pistols?

Post by BubbaDX »

Ive heard a lot of good stuff about the Phoenix Arms 22's. They are about as cheap as you can get at about $150. But I have no first hand experience with them and I would question their reliability long term. The Ruger Mark III and the Browning Buckmark are both great guns. The Ruger is quite a bit cheaper and all but indestructible. The Mark III and 22/45 are basically the same gun, but the grip angle is different. The Mark III has the Luger grip angle while the 22/45 has the 1911 grip angle. I like both.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
SKhiSm 59-66

Post by SKhiSm 59-66 »

I had a Ruger Mk-something long ago. it was amazingly accurate, a truckload of fun, and very reliable.
"And at this range, I'm a real Frederick Zoller"
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

The Ruger has proven itself over the long run, it's a good choice. :2cents:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
thughes

Post by thughes »

What exactly are you looking for? I have a Heritage Rough Rider single action I paid $175 for that's a blast to shoot. I also have an M&P 22 Compact that is so reliable I have considered carrying it. I'ts a great gun and is perfect for teaching new shooters how to handle an automatic. I think I paid @ $350 for mine:

Heritage: (that's a first-year production 1948 Marlin 336 with it, too bad the previous owner poly'd the wood and re-blued it)

Image0329151822 by Todd Hughes, on Flickr

M&P:

Image0830142004 by Todd Hughes, on Flickr
Adam_9130

Post by Adam_9130 »

I've also seen mixed reviews of the heritage, the price tag sure is convincing!
entropy

Post by entropy »

If I can find one, and have money for it at the same time, I will get a S&W 422. I had one years ago, another gun I should never have sold. :oops:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I got my wife a Browning 1911 A1 .22 It seems to be a great pistol.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have both, the Heritage .22/.22 mag and a Ruger Mk II. In my opinion the Heritage is a fun plinker and the Ruger is when you need some accuracy and 10 shots to do it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

When the wife first started shooting, I wanted to start her out on some cheap .22's to see if her interest would continue or just be a flash in the pan. Bought her the Heritage Rough Rider with both cylinders, 22LR and .22Mag, as well as a Phoenix HP22a.

Heritage is now owned by Taurus. Ours is more accurate with either .22WMR or WRF than it is with the .22LR. No problems with it, I'd guess it has in the neighborhood of 1500 rounds through it as it's a favorite of the kids and now grandkids. They tend to shoot low out of the box but the front sight can be carefully filed down to sight it in. Windage adjustment is only possible by bending the front sight blade.

I bought the Phoenix with just the short barrel, they make a longer "target" barrel for it, also magazines with the little pinky extension on them for folks with larger hands. They have a tendency to crack the frame under the right side grip if fed a lot of high velocity rounds. We have probably 2k rounds through ours, about 90% of it CCI Blazer. I tore it down out of the box and removed a bunch of casting flash and just did general cleanup work on it, and it's run 100% since new. Not real accurate at any range but fine for close in plinking, wouldn't make a bet on hitting anything past 15 yards or so. Maybe better with the target barrel, I was going to buy one but...

The wife traded an AR that she built for a Ruger MKII, five magazines, 550 rounds of ammo and $300. Has the heavy barrel and aftermarket trigger. Since then, I don't think she's shot the Heritage or Phoenix at all, lol. VERY accurate, sights are easily adjustable, just a real pleasure and blast to shoot. I'd say one of the Ruger's would be a great bet.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

entropy wrote:If I can find one, and have money for it at the same time, I will get a S&W 422. I had one years ago, another gun I should never have sold. :oops:
A good choice. And yes, I am bias... :biggrin:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

My only .22 handgun is a revolver. It is an H&R that you can probably find for $150.00 (or less if you are lucky) It works perfectly. The nice thing about the revolvers is that there is a large range of ammo that you can shoot with them. I especially like the low power (primer only) rounds to knock tree rats out of the tops of water oaks. No more noisy than a pellet gun.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

I have( 3 ) one is a Colt New Frontier .22 mag. I also have a Colt Frontier Scout in .22 lr. and an old Ruger Mark I. They are all great shooters.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Any Ruger semi auto is one I'd be happy to own. Same for the Ruger Single Six revolver. At a much lower price I would be happy to have a Heritage Rough Rider. I wanted to buy one on black Friday when the local Academy had one for 99.00 but when I went to the store there were fifty or more people in a single line to buy them and the bricks of 25.00 Winchester ammo so I headed for the door.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This old Ruger Standard Model pre-dates the Mark I, and only has a 9 round mag. This one was made in 1962 which makes it my age. :)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Here is another that is a pleasure to shoot. It is a Walther P22. It has nice sights on it that are adjustable and has the white dots.
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Good ol' 9-shot Hi-Standard Double Nine revolver. Works fine for cans, squirrels, or German squirrels.

You know, marmosets! "No no, it's quite a bit bigger than a marmoset, and it has a big bushy tail. Now, what's that called?"
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

I have a Ruger Mark III that shoots like a target rifle. A Ruger SR22 that I love and stays softball size groups at 25 yards. What I would like is a High Standard H-D Military 4 inch, the ones I have had have been great pistols too.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Next on my list is a 1911 in 22.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
entropy

Post by entropy »

<whispers in ear> GSG1911......Browning.........Colt Ace.........</whispers in ear> :twisted:

Dang that entropy! :mrgreen:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien