1942 Izhevsh Baltic/Romanian

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
qz2026

1942 Izhevsh Baltic/Romanian

Post by qz2026 »

Mosin Nagant
Russian M91/30
1942 Izhevsk
Barrel s/n ЛЭ6931
Century Import

Here is an interesting rifle that I need some input on. I was originally drawn to this rifle because of the Romanian forestock repair. I've always wanted one of these. Although I am familiar with most of the stuff that came out of Curik, I know little or nothing about these. Here are some details:

1. Totally non matching with scrubbed bolt.
2. No cleaning rod or lug for that matter.
3. Stock is very unusual. My first thoughts were that it was Romanian but I'm not so sure. Obviously, there is a large, what I am assuming, Romanian repair to half of the forestock. This was not the same dimensions as the Russian version so the rear barrel band is very snug and extended quite a bit. There are no barrel band springs or spring inserts on the forestock and no indication that there ever were any. Also the front and back sling slots look as if they were milled somewhere else but in Russian. The slot itself is larger than the escutcheon. The front of the forestock appears to have been cut back a little for reasons that escape me. And I see no evidence that the forestock was a replacement. Very odd.
4. The rifle, itself, is the best example I own of a war years Russian 9130 that was so quickly moved through the manufacturing process. The milling on all parts of the rifle still contain the milling markings, including the rear sight base. On others that I own the receiver looks like the surface of the moon, but this one is different, i.e. a bit more refined. Very cool IMHO.
5. An interesting point about the fit and finish was that after I cleaned the rifle up, I found that it would not chamber the 2nd and subsequent rounds in the magazine. In addition it was very difficult to actually load a round into the magazine. I tried everything to resolve this - different interrupter spring, different interrupter/ejector, and even another magazine follower. Nothing helped. The interrupter simply would not allow the rounds to move up. I finally determined that the milled space designed for the interrupter in the stock was keeping the interrupter from pushing all the way in when I cycled the bolt back. I chiseled out additional space in the stock since I noticed that there was a shiny spot adjacent to the interrupter slot. It now loads and chambers as it should. And, then, the firing pin would only adjust flush with the face of the bolt head. I replaced the firing pin from a parts rifle and it adjusted within spec so, it appears, that the firing pin was a bit short. The bore is not bad. I would rate it as G-VG. Pitted but high sharp lands. It passed a NOGO headspace at about 3 pm. So, this rifle should shoot just fine. Bonus. This appears to, also, be a /25\ refurbished rifle at some point. But, I haven't seen a /25\ rifle like this one, ever...
6. When I first looked down the bore I was horrified. But, amazingly enough, it cleaned up to an acceptable level. Actually, not bad.

So guys, some thoughts please. I am not sure what I have here. Have you seen anything like this before? I know there are Russian 9130's out there with similar Romanian repairs but this on strikes me as odd especially the stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qz2026

Re: 1942 Izhevsh Baltic/Romanian

Post by qz2026 »

A few more pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Very cool. :vcool: :vcool:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

It's a Romanian splice for sure. My guess is that it was for an M91, I've had a few of these. Then the front was shortened for a 91/30 but band springs were never installed for some reason. You can see they swicthed from screwed in escutcheons to pressed in also.They did some odd things there. Neat 91/30.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

That makes sense. Never considered it was a cut down early M-91 stock but the escutcheon cut outs indicate the old prewar type. I guess this makes the stock a pre 6th generation M-91. Explains how tight the rear band it too. Don't need band springs to hold these bands on for sure. Leave it to the Romanians - got to love them. :D Pretty cool gun IMHO.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

That has to be one of, if not THE ugliest splice jobs I have ever seen. It is beautiful!!
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In the Balkans it doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work. Nice find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very interesting rifle. A lot of history with the Balkan rifles. :thumbsup: :vcool:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh man, I like this one. It has probably got some scary secrets attached to it.