NEW Finn captured M91 found today!!!!!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ranman106

NEW Finn captured M91 found today!!!!!

Post by ranman106 »

Found my first New England Westinghouse today. Totally shocked as I have never seen one in person. Finn capture on top of that!!!!! Really great condition. Hex receiver is counter bored but has great lands and grooves. Stock has typical "finger" spliced stock near hand guard. Upper hand guard has several brass pins that appear to be used as a repair. Has sling hangers and cleaning rod but missing the bayonet and correct sling. Stock has several "thumbtack" impressions, have no idea why. Cartouche appears to be a Z, not a S as I have seen. Sorry, no pictures. They wouldn't let me take them at the pawn shop. Without being able to see the rifle, sorry, what is a best guess on price? I'm drooling but don't want to overpay.
7.62X54R, when you have to reach out and touch someone.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NEW Finn captured M91 found today!!!!!

Post by Longcolt44 »

This is a real shot in the dark but depending on a lot of unknown factors, $300 to $400. The first line in your post kind of says it all.
"Found my first New England Westinghouse today. Totally shocked as I have never seen one in person. Finn capture on top of that!!!!!"
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Longcolt44 wrote:This is a real shot in the dark but depending on a lot of unknown factors, $300 to $400. The first line in your post kind of says it all.
"Found my first New England Westinghouse today. Totally shocked as I have never seen one in person. Finn capture on top of that!!!!!"
:pointup: :pointup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Longcolt44 wrote:This is a real shot in the dark but depending on a lot of unknown factors, $300 to $400. The first line in your post kind of says it all.
Agreed. This is the range on GB right now, without shipping. That being said, it would be in your best interest to do a quick study of M91s before you put your money down. It's not that difficult, and Junk Yard Dog has any number of excellent M91 videos on YouTube under the nick rockisland1913.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

M91's are always (almost) missing the bayonet and correct sling. A M91 bayonet will run an extra $100 or so and the correct slings didn't survive well after all these years. Don't compare M91s with the refurbs that we see that come with all the extras. And Finn marked is the most common. It was not necessarily captured. It could have already been in Finland when it became independent or was one of thousands of Mosins that Finland bought between the wars.

I agree with the price range mentioned but condition means a lot.
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Couldn't stand it any longer. Pulled the trigger and put the rifle on 90 day lay a way. $200.00 plus tax :thumbsup: . Will try to get some pics next week when I go back to make my first payment.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That is a good price. Congrats.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
dou44

Post by dou44 »

very good price on it. you will need to see if it has any civil guard numbers on the side of the receiver. mine is one that I will not sell it is matching no's and no import markings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Any importance to a stock cartouche with a Z and crossed cannons?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ranman106 wrote:Any importance to a stock cartouche with a Z and crossed cannons?
It is the stock makers mark.

C. S. Lewis