Snap cap or Mosin is malfunction?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mosinshield

Snap cap or Mosin is malfunction?

Post by mosinshield »

I've acquired a 1943 Mosin some time in April. Finally, it has been cleaned and refinished. I'm excited to try it out but...
I ran into an issue with bolt not locking down or engaged with using snap-cap. It would load /chamber a round but the bolt would not lock. Also it would not eject the round; I have to pick it out with my fingers.
I have attached a video and pictures for clarity.

I'm newbie to this hobby and looking for help/guidance.
I bought these excellent hand-made snap-cap from this great gentleman from eBay from .380ACP, 9mm, and even AK round (7.62x39) all work prefect except the Mosin 7.62x54R.

Could this be a bad batch? Or Mosin malfunction?

Appreciate All comments/suggestions. Thank you [emoji2]

https://vimeo.com/144721805

Link to video:
https://youtu.be/yOKWJ_1YMfg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
steelbuttplate

Re: Snap cap or Mosin is malfunction?

Post by steelbuttplate »

Have you compared the thickness of the rims on those to real ammo? checked headspace? Is the chamber where the rim sets clean & shiny, and is the chamber also clean & shiny ? And how bout the the boltface......... Is your groove where the ejector travels clear?..If you've done all that probably some gunk still in the locking lugs...Try working like that bolt like you were about to be killed by a doped up Chinese, it won't break. If you never get it locked it won't eject.......SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Cleaned and REFINISHED?
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Refinished? You have been here how long and still haven't learned why we do not refinish antiques?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The JYD has spoken "the Boss". Words of Iorn. IF you don't like the refurb look, look for a non-refurb for your next one and don't do any stripping or refinishing. These are harder to find and look rough, dark, pine tar or very little clear finish left. Most any Finn rifle is an example. Some lemon oil, or Murphy's oil soap, is good for the wood and won't change anything. SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mosinshield

Post by mosinshield »

Let's STOP jumping on the band wagon and ahead of yourself with all the non-senses.
Cleaned or refinished is non of your business. Let me put it in a nice way with getting you upset. Like someone one here have said - "IF You Didn't Paid for the rifle; please keep your mouth shut and ideas too yourself". Thank you.
The issue here is with bolt not locking/engaged - if you can help, - Thank You [emoji106]. If you can't please don't jump on the wagon- hope you slip, fall and die [emoji57]

Sent from pigeon mail delivery.
Deadheadmatt

Post by Deadheadmatt »

Well, you did ask for advice. Maybe you should clarify what you did to clean and refinish it? That might have some impact on its operation, especially if you've been dremeling or polishing parts. BTW, this is a preservation site, so you are never going to win these guys over with that attitude.

After watching the video, it really looks like you are babying it went you chamber a new round. Slam it home and put some oomph into it.

Good luck.

Matt

:welcome3:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mosinshield wrote:Let's STOP jumping on the band wagon and ahead of yourself with all the non-senses.
Cleaned or refinished is non of your business. Let me put it in a nice way with getting you upset. Like someone one here have said - "IF You Didn't Paid for the rifle; please keep your mouth shut and ideas too yourself". Thank you.
The issue here is with bolt not locking/engaged - if you can help, - Thank You [emoji106]. If you can't please don't jump on the wagon- hope you slip, fall and die [emoji57]

When someone brings up the subject of refinishing a military surplus rifle on MY board then it becomes my business and I will comment on it when I want and at whatever length I please. You come into my house and spit on the floor don't expect me to be happy and kind about it. What he does with his rifle is none of my business until it turns up on these pages, and now it has. We don't cover that here, this is a board for serious collectors and new guys who want to learn or need help, we do not condone permanent sporterizing of any sort when it comes to milsurps. "IF You Didn't Paid for the rifle; please keep your mouth shut and ideas too yourself this statement sounds perilously close to telling me to go fuck myself, and that will not wash on my own board. If I, or Darryl, or one of the other admins has something to say on this board you will hear it, we will not keep our mouths shut, or our ideas to ourselves, and that goes triple when the subject is sporterizing.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

mosinshield wrote:Let's STOP jumping on the band wagon and ahead of yourself with all the non-senses.

http://youtu.be/i0BTdo6qGwo
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Is he banned yet? He oughta' be!

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

OH SHIT Mr. keep your opinions, You have reall stuck :thumbsup: up your own ass. This here a preservation forum. :angry4: :furious: You piss off De Boss.......... :facepalm1: