Reloading Sellier and bellot 7.62x54R

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
aussimmo2015

Reloading Sellier and bellot 7.62x54R

Post by aussimmo2015 »

Hey everyone

I am about to start buying sellier and bellot 7.62x54R factory ammo and was wondering if anyone of the more experienced hands on here had any experience reloading sellier and bellot brass; good, bad or otherwise.

Cheers in advance
tjtM38

Re: Reloading Sellier and bellot 7.62x54R

Post by tjtM38 »

I have reloaded 54r in Sellier and Bellot and it is good stuff. However, I prefer PPU once-fired brass for reloading. PPU primer pockets seem much more uniform. With the S&B, I've had a tough time seating the FED #210 primer. Have to admit I have not been loading this round too much, as I have so much surplus on hand and do not see reloading as cost effective.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I had no problems with S&B brass; I use CCI primers almost exclusively, sometimes WSP and WLP pistol primers, and I bought a case of MagTech primers once; My Glock didn't always set them off, though. The Tauruses (Tauri?) do, though.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Use CCI primers and chamfer the primer pocket slightly. Tight pockets are a good thing!
aussimmo2015

Post by aussimmo2015 »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be purchasing in bulk sellier and bellot 180g FMJ to shoot with my '41 M39 and will have a heap of once fired, fire-formed brass after that so i thought I would get into reloading as a hobby and hopefully improve accuracy from this beautiful rifle. I will have to get primer pocket cleaner. Im also tempted to try the lapua in 7.62x53R also.
redhat10

Post by redhat10 »

aussimmo2015 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be purchasing in bulk sellier and bellot 180g FMJ to shoot with my '41 M39 and will have a heap of once fired, fire-formed brass after that so i thought I would get into reloading as a hobby and hopefully improve accuracy from this beautiful rifle. I will have to get primer pocket cleaner. Im also tempted to try the lapua in 7.62x53R also.
What happened about the dis-armament of the aussies? Are you only permitted to have old rifles? by your date 1941, it is not before the turn of the centry...I know the british 303 was very popular over there , esp since they had one of the factorys there..curious.. Rh10..
aussimmo2015

Post by aussimmo2015 »

Not quite. Pump and semi auto (rifles and shotguns) are effectively restricted to farmers and professional pest controllers, the rest are okay...handguns are obtainable but strictly managed.

I just really like the old rifles
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

tjtM38 wrote:I prefer PPU once-fired brass for reloading. PPU primer pockets seem much more uniform.
Where do you get once fired reloadable brass? I would particularly like to find the 7.62 x 51 NATO 308 brass as my surplus is all Berdan primed. :cry:
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

hudson29 wrote:
tjtM38 wrote:I prefer PPU once-fired brass for reloading. PPU primer pockets seem much more uniform.
Where do you get once fired reloadable brass? I would particularly like to find the 7.62 x 51 NATO 308 brass as my surplus is all Berdan primed. :cry:
Well, I don't shop for brass. PPU ammo is so readily available and relatively inexpensive that I shoot a small amount, maybe 20 to 40 rounds, and then I reload the brass.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

hudson29 wrote:
I have bought a lot of brass for various calibers off Craigslist and Armslist.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus