M27 Finn Ski Trooper found

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ranman106

M27 Finn Ski Trooper found

Post by ranman106 »

Been keeping an eye on a Finn M27 in a local shop. I just don't know enough about these rifles. It is SA stamped. Has both sling swivels for the ski trooper. Hex receiver dated 1934. End cap has popsicle sticks present. Bluing is almost completely gone but rifle is not rusted. Stock is trashed. It's original but upper handguard is split. There are a couple of arsenal repairs to the stock that look good. There is a piece of wood @ 3 inches long missing from the bottom handguard. This is missing where the upper and lower handguards meet running along the barrel. How do I determine what cartridge this rifle fire? I think it is the 7.62X54R but I want to be sure. I don't have pictures. What would this rifle be worth? I like the rarity but not sure I want to commit to it.
7.62X54R, when you have to reach out and touch someone.
neal45

Re: M27 Finn Ski Trooper found

Post by neal45 »

It would fire the 7.62x54R. It would be hard to determine the worth without photos. The "trashed stock" could be really bad or just lower the price a little, depending on severity. Or were you only referring to the handguard?
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

The stock is really beat up but it looks like old wear and it's the color of drift wood. Hand guards are the worst with the split and missing wood.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I may well be in 7.62X53 unless it had a, "D", stamped on the barrel which means it has been opened the chamber for the 54 cartridge. An M27 bicycle/ski trooper should have one sling loop on the underside of the buttstock and a front sling slot with a separate piece in it that holds the front sling loop. Lee-Online a member here just posted one he purchased a couple of weeks ago. I bought one also but have not posted it as yet. Without pictures it is next to impossible to give you a price on one.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Longcolt44 wrote:I may well be in 7.62X53 unless it had a, "D", stamped on the barrel which means it has been opened the chamber for the 54 cartridge.
No. The D-stamp just means that the throat has been opened for Finnish Army standard service ammo, 7,62x53r loaded with D166-bullet. All Finnish made barrels are chambered to 7,62x53r, even if they have been marked with the D.

The coincidence is that the D chamber allowed to shoot also captured Soviet ammo on rifles that had originally tight throat, like through m/28-30. M/28-30s also had tighter bores (.308) but it did not matter as the WWII Soviet ammo was steel jacketed lead core. Lead gives in. Steel core will not, so shooting steel core milsurplus through m/28-30 is not that recommendable as it wears the bore out faster. And there could be pressure issues. With other Finnish models misurplus ammo is not a problem if the rifle chambers it, it will shoot it.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

M27's are stamped with a year and armory identification and that will tell us how rare it is could you help us a little there maybe? The M27 was made through a period of many changes so they can have multiple sling swivels and nose treatments for the period of time that they served the Finn's. If you are looking at some thing in an M27 for less than say $250 and holding back for a better price or conformation from people here as to whether you should buy it or not you better get off your duff and go buy the thing before someone else does. You guys who see these rifles and hold back for $50 or more drive me crazy! You have failed to mention two or three important things that would make us buy or move on in price and year and armory without pictures. Go get it or tell us more! Bill :o
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I picked up a 1934 that had that "been there done it look" and it is a good solid shooter.

Damage to the stock is to be expected on a war time rifle, how much is too much is for the buyer to decide. I like that look and as long as it is a complete rifle I'll have no problem buying it as long as it priced right. My 1934 only cost $280 last year but I have seen other 1934s go for $400+

Value is hard to determine without seeing the rifle because so many thing effect collectability and therefore the price. Like bill said, under $250 is a good deal on a non messed with M27. PL mark, stock disk and VKT are just some of the things that increase the value.

When looking at the rifle, snap a pic of the barrel shank and of the overall rifle with your phone, That should have enough info to tell what you have.
Kollaa kestää
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Going back tomorrow and take another look at the M27. Taking my bore light , ammo to check crown, and camera to take pictures. More than likely I'll place it on layaway at least. I'll post pics and anymore info after work.
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Well, I went and looked again. Date is 1932 not 1934. Marked with a F, D, SA and a T in a triangle. Appears to be a T in a circle under the bolt handle. Rifling looks good but the end of the barrel is bored larger to a depth of @ 1/2 inch or less. Why would they do this? Will get pics up after work.
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

ranman106 wrote:Well, I went and looked again. Date is 1932 not 1934. Marked with a F, D, SA and a T in a triangle. Appears to be a T in a circle under the bolt handle. Rifling looks good but the end of the barrel is bored larger to a depth of @ 1/2 inch or less. Why would they do this? Will get pics up after work.
F denotes the throat size and shape. It does not matter anymore as it has been reamed to D chamber.

It has been counterbored i.e. the bad crown and bore part has been drilled out. Thus the rifling and the crown has been "cured".

Crowns were often ruined by steel cleaning rods used without bore cap/guide. Counterboring is often encountered on Finnish rebuilds/refurbs. No need to worry.
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Thanks, never came across a counterbore before.
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Should I be worried about this?

Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

There was a rough shape 1932 Tikka m27 that just sold on gun broker after multiple weeks of relisting. It finally sold for $350 after it made its reserve.

I think he was lucky to get that as it had only been bidding up to $300.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =512527883
Kollaa kestää
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Will the 91/30 bolt carrier work on the M27?
Last edited by ranman106 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Yes but do not throw the damaged one away. Notice the little wings on the bolt carrier? There should be slots on the receiver that these wings slip in to. It was a failed attempt to improve the bolt that is now a plus in collecting. I don't see where anybody has told you as yet. BUY IT AND BUY IT NOW!! We can tell you all the cool things it has when you have captured it and have it home.
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Well, I did pull the trigger. They were asking $399.99 months ago and marked it down to $189.99 last week. Paid $150.00 out the door. Soooooo, what do I have?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

HEY DUDE...I'm an old man. Prices like that can make a strong man weak. You did excellent, excellent plus.
ranman106

Post by ranman106 »

Longcolt44 wrote:HEY DUDE...I'm an old man. Prices like that can make a strong man weak. You did excellent, excellent plus.
Really, I was worried about the buck 50.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

You did really good. I bet finding that bolt helped in the negotiations. Congratulations! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...