Break out the popcorn; it's Part II of the M39 Sale.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
djbuck1

Re: Break out the popcorn; it's Part II of the M39 Sale.

Post by djbuck1 »

I think that those who delayed and delayed getting an M39 now have no choice but to assume that the primary shipments from Finland years ago (to Burns and perhaps, more recently in small lots to SOG) are being sold off, and that the inventory is running out.

If this is true, and again, those without an M39 who want one (or more) must assume that it is, what we are likely to see is a replay of the M91/30 market post-embargo, but exponentially worse.

Yes. M39s will still be available. But not with the frequency that they have been. And the price? Just look at the ludicrous prices being asked on GB for M91/30 refurbs. In fact, this is already happening with M39s! And in a few cases, people are paying those prices.

Will most people ante up $500-$800 for an M39 (in the short term)? Unlikely. The guys who wouldn't pay $300-$400 for an M39 before sure as heck won't pay the asking prices that are coming. But the sellers won't drop their prices. They'll just sit and wait. That's what they are doing with the M91/30 refurbs. And there are a lot fewer M39s.

Yes, there are all sorts of exceptions to this. Zealous (and lucky) hunters will still find "bargains." But even if this isn't the end of the big inventories, the market has decided that it is, hence the "panic" in some quarters. :2cents:
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

It seems to me, instead of all this mystery, misrepresentation, and lies, there would have been a simple way for them to do this. If anything, it would have boosted their sales and caused less negative press.

Why didn't they just say "We have purchased the Burns inventory of M39's. We will be receiving multiple shipments and selling them as we get them. This is the last known volume quantity of M39's, so get them while you can."

Maybe I'm stupid, but that seems to me to be an easy, truthful way to do it.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

On another note, two more SOG rifles have been posted. A low production 1940 VKT and a B barrel. Looks like they had a hell of a good group of M39's for anyone lucky enough to get one.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

redeuce wrote:It seems to me, instead of all this mystery, misrepresentation, and lies, there would have been a simple way for them to do this. If anything, it would have boosted their sales and caused less negative press.

Why didn't they just say "We have purchased the Burns inventory of M39's. We will be receiving multiple shipments and selling them as we get them. This is the last known volume quantity of M39's, so get them while you can."

Maybe I'm stupid, but that seems to me to be an easy, truthful way to do it.
You're not stupid at all. The way that all of this has been mishandled would be the "stuff" of business school classes for years (i.e. how to turn what should have been a big win into a PR charlie foxtrot), IF academia took any notice of firearms other than parroting the liberal cant that they must be banned.

Part of the fascination of all of this has been watching the repeated and unnecessary distortions and missteps that have been the hallmark of this drama.

But then, that's how some people do business. And that is why I won't deal with them.

As I muse about this, I'm sitting here waiting impatiently for a call from Fed Ex telling me to come pick up a low-SN, straight stock SAKO, but as that happy event looks increasingly unlikely as the day wears on, and as this is my 1,000th rant . . . er . . .post, I'll just put up a pic or two of my other 1941 SAKO, PL marked with the usual pistol grip stock.

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ok, I'll see your PL 41 Sako, and raise you a PL 41 Sako. :P
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

No way to trump that! Unless it's the PL marked straight-stock I missed last week. :oops:
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

It's funny. My wife and I bought a motorhome, so I was going to sell some off to fund some trips. I was going to start with four M39's- a,41 VKT, '42 Sako, ''42 B barrel, and '43 SKY. After all this, I think I'll put them back in the safe and find another funding source.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What kind of bus did you get? Details, and pictures.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Class A can run one fifty to two hundred grand or more, your going to have to sell more than a few M39's to fund that :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

djbuck1 wrote:No way to trump that! Unless it's the PL marked straight-stock I missed last week. :oops:
No, mine is a pistol grip stock also, and is a fine shooter, but no surprise there. :P it is my only Sako.
JagdPanther

Post by JagdPanther »

I got a low serial number for the replacement from classic i think it would have orignally been in a straight stock. Im happy with it though its a nice rifle. Its serial number is 200565. Ill post some pics of it soon.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

JagdPanther wrote:I got a low serial number for the replacement from classic i think it would have orignally been in a straight stock. Im happy with it though its a nice rifle. Its serial number is 200565. Ill post some pics of it soon.
Whoa Nellie! :shock: Unless I am completely misunderstanding the numbering of these rifles, that's a low SN! By "low," I meant within the first 6,000, not the first 600!
JagdPanther

Post by JagdPanther »

I miss typed that sorry I was meaning it was a low number for a straight stock. I'm a goof.
JagdPanther

Post by JagdPanther »

Another correction it's serial is 200523 not 565.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:What kind of bus did you get? Details, and pictures.

2001 Shasta Cheyenne. 27 feet. Walk around queen bed in the back. One slider. Chevy, 454.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh now that is a nice motor home. You did good.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

redeuce wrote:2001 Shasta Cheyenne. 27 feet. Walk around queen bed in the back. One slider. Chevy, 454.
Wow, can you make popcorn in it!! :thumbsup:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

dolk wrote:
redeuce wrote:2001 Shasta Cheyenne. 27 feet. Walk around queen bed in the back. One slider. Chevy, 454.
Wow, can you make popcorn in it!! :thumbsup:
We haven't had our TT out for about 6 months. We just booked us a site at our favorite place for Halloween. It has a lot of kid activities. Got my nephew coming up along with my boy. His mom isn't too well off so we got him a costume to go with ours. Should be a great time. I've never dressed up but this year it's on like donkey kong. Went all out. Got the blaster on the way along with the boots and holster. Need to adjust my armor and it should be good. Here is the boy and I during the initial see if it will fit deal.

The wife already bought her costume but next year will be the stormtrooper family.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

Now there's a man after my own heart. Here is me in my Vader suit at a Toys for Tots drive.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice class C, Shasta was able to stretch that to 27' and add the slide because Chevy started using frames in their van chassis in '97. Watch that frame for rust issues, they are known for it and as RV's sit a lot rust can sneak up fast. What's supporting that rear overhang? In my older class C they welded heavy steel to what would be the vans rear bumper undersupport, but mine only has a 3" overhang back there, yours will be over 5' or longer, you want to be careful about loading the rear with anything heavy. My class A was built on a Ford F550 frame so the steel runs full length front to back, but the vans used to build the class C's don't have frames, or unibody sub assembly's long enough for that. Being a 2001 you should have a generator on that rig, nice to have that on the C's, I have it on my Tioga, great for going off grid.
Theodore Roosevelt