M39 Mosin-Nagant's for 350.00 at Classic Firearms

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M39 Mosin-Nagant's for 350.00 at Classic Firearms

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

M39 is an M39, all are built exactly the same way to exactly the same specifications no matter what manufacturers name is on it, since manufacture they have likely been worked over by Finn army arsenals also. If you do not currently own an M39 then grab whatever they have available and worry about collecting other manufacturers later, chances are very high that you will receive a good shooter no matter if the finish has some wear on it or not. M39's that didn't shoot well returned to the parts bin in pieces.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Just out of curiosity JYD what are you basing the assumption that the bad ones were returned to the parts bins. The reason I am asking is I have had some that were not good shooters and one in particular that sort of embodied the old hotrod saying of if it don't go fast chrome it. It was a great looking VKT that was a bad shooter no matter what I did to it or the ammo I used in it would not help. I think you are giving people a not realistic view that they will only get good ones from this sale. Certainly counter bored and not pretty rifles exist in this lot that will maybe not shoot well are out there too and people should be ready for that. Add in the fact that the man in the film spot is basically telling you they are not giving any recourse for complaint and I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about the whole deal. It strikes me as a big ploy to get sales rolling in a depressed area of the market. I have had several nice M39's for sale at lower prices and they have gone begging for quite awhile and few have even looked at them. They are a much ignored section of the Finnish Mosins available today from where I stand. I have 3 or 4 that have not gone to shows yet as a result. I have never read not seen spoken that the bad ones were broken down for parts and wonder where you are getting that from. I believe they were just grouped in with the good ones and sold as surplus when the Finn's were ready to get rid of them like all other models of surplus. Bill :?:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Your rifles are begging for owners because you do not take advantage of the huge market available in internet sales, you will not even ship a rifle to a FFL holder on a telephone deal . This limits you to just the small number of potential customers who meet you at a gun show. I bought a lot of M39's from Pat, even the most worn looking of them shot better than I do. I have my issues with Classic, shit customer service in the past, shit packing jobs, but I do have to give them credit were it comes to product. I bought at least 40 rifles or more from them before the chrome Mosin thing pissed me off, Mauser's, Mosins, SKS, K31's, Enfields, and a shitload of ammo, never once was there a problem with the product, it was always exactly as described or better. Buying from them I would worry that the rifle was tossed in a box with a single sheet of loose paper for padding, I would worry that when I call to complain about the resulting damage I would be given the bullshit runaround or hung up on, but I would not worry about them selling me an obvious piece of shit. Hidden problems can happen with any milsurp, that's the risk you take buying from anybody, but my own experience with Finn rifles in particular has shown me that the likelihood of such a problem with them is lower than any other weapon I have bought including US arms.

I know you prefer face to face sales for any number of reasons, but in the 21st century we all work harder to make ends meet. I don't know about the rest of you but I work 10-12 hours a day or more 6 days a week on average, and have extremely limited time to go off to gunshows. Hell, I don't even have a wife and kids to further impact my time and I still can't get away often. Were it not for internet sales and earlier catalog sales I would have maybe 50-70 rifles all told over the last 30 years. These days flea markets have dried up for guns so that number would be far less if I was starting today.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Buying the M39 will be a roll of the dice. I opted to roll the dice early on in hopes I would get a nice one. I kinda hope that they're too swamped with orders to care about hand select. Also, the rifles on top looked pretty nice. I would guess that Classic segregated the rifles with hang tags for a later selection, but its possible for a buyer to get one of those, I suppose. A Sako with a stock cartouche is on my want list, as well as a SkY M39 in the correct stock. Some of the nice Sakos have been a little pricey. So, I'm taking a gamble that I'll get a nice one. I'm pretty sure I won't have much trouble selling whatever I get, if I'm not happy with it. I do think that Burns may have got tired of selling them, or saw an opportunity to offload a large amount of rifles. I also believe she still has some, and that she agreed to not sell her remaining inventory until after Classic sold their rifles; hence the notice on her site that M39's will not be available for a while. If she didn't have anymore, she would state that she sold off the remaining inventory, and would not have any for sale at all. I am guessing she kept the 60's dated rifles, SkYs, B barrels, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy
husker51

Post by husker51 »

I just tuned in and discovered "Classic" selling these M39s today. So I am a little behind but it is of little matter to me. I have always preferred to see what I am buying. The only chance I really ever have taken on "sight unseen" is when I ordered my M44 from SOG. (I wasn't disappointed by the way.) I have purchased a few M39s from Burns and I have been very pleased with what I have received. (And I am picky!) The thought of buying M39s, sight unseen, does not appeal to me at this time. Not for 350 dollars a wack. I am not saying that it is a bad deal but I am more of a selective buyer.
I would be more inclined to drop $700 on something I could see than $350 on pot luck M39s. :2cents: Just sayin'.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Your rifles are begging for owners because you do not take advantage of the huge market available in internet sales, you will not even ship a rifle to a FFL holder on a telephone deal . This limits you to just the small number of potential customers who meet you at a gun show. I bought a lot of M39's from Pat, even the most worn looking of them shot better than I do. I have my issues with Classic, shit customer service in the past, shit packing jobs, but I do have to give them credit were it comes to product. I bought at least 40 rifles or more from them before the chrome Mosin thing pissed me off, Mauser's, Mosins, SKS, K31's, Enfields, and a shitload of ammo, never once was there a problem with the product, it was always exactly as described or better. Buying from them I would worry that the rifle was tossed in a box with a single sheet of loose paper for padding, I would worry that when I call to complain about the resulting damage I would be given the bullshit runaround or hung up on, but I would not worry about them selling me an obvious piece of shit. Hidden problems can happen with any milsurp, that's the risk you take buying from anybody, but my own experience with Finn rifles in particular has shown me that the likelihood of such a problem with them is lower than any other weapon I have bought including US arms.

I know you prefer face to face sales for any number of reasons, but in the 21st century we all work harder to make ends meet. I don't know about the rest of you but I work 10-12 hours a day or more 6 days a week on average, and have extremely limited time to go off to gunshows. Hell, I don't even have a wife and kids to further impact my time and I still can't get away often. Were it not for internet sales and earlier catalog sales I would have maybe 50-70 rifles all told over the last 30 years. These days flea markets have dried up for guns so that number would be far less if I was starting today.

Again I ask where did you get the idea the bad ones went to the parts bins?

I am a people person and that is the major reason I sell at gun shows. When I went to a machine gun shoot in WV yesterday it was like old home week with former customers and friends visiting and buying stuff from me. Plus I met new people and gave my phone number out to them and I expect to hear from them too. I have bought many rifles from the internet and had some problems over the years. Locally I have a great distrust for the delivery agencies and yes I too distrust Classics famous packing abilities and their now stated disclaimer on bad product for their "Give Away Prices" . I too will not order anything like many others have stated and I expect their will be a tidal wave of new owners happy with what they got. I have about 40 or so M39's in one safe and almost all were through face to face sales which I spent less and more for sometimes but I was sure of what I was paying for each and every time because I held it in my hands and inspected it closely. Yes dealing face to face with people I know and like is what I prefer and I have the results to show for it.

You do not have the time to travel and go to shows or anywhere because you chose to live your life that way. Truthfully if I ran to your home and said come on Jim the next week is on me and to shut down the shop and be my guest I don't think I could get you out of your place. You like me are too old and set in your ways to change. I could tease you forever and not change you and you could do the same to me and have the same results! :lol: I am a motor butt and you are a I have to stay home butt. We have one thing very much in common we both live our lives the way we choose to live them so I guess we should both be happy and blessed with that.

Multi-tasking is a great part of my life and while I am not particularly good at it I have had to learn to do it to accomplish anything during the course of the day. I started out late yesterday and grabbed breakfast while on the way to Staples to get large tags for the gun shows. Then a stop at the warehouse to try and find some parts for the weapons I had cleaned and readied to be test shot and then final readied for the upcoming gun shows I plan to hit before the other knee gets done. Then a trip further north to the remote spot down in a valley where the Machine gun shoot was to be held. Walked in to the site of the firing line listening to a 1919 chattering away carrying my stuff to shoot and for sale too where buddy Joe and Jim Bob were set up with a chair waiting for the old fart to fall into. Shot a couple of the Nambu's and was surprised how easy they shot and worked after all these years of setting. Watched all the fun for a couple of hours and sold some stuff then packed and left for a dinner with a friend on the way home.

That is my life style and staying around the house is only necessary when I have needed shop time for stuff to get ready for shows. I chose my life style as you do and I like it as you do to or we wouldn't live that way. As far as having to buy from the internet I don't have to and choose not to so I have no complaints. I find Mosins because I am constantly looking and searching for sales online I can attend and buy in person. Even when I go to music shows there are little shops I have been hitting for years and yard sales this time of the year are really great around here. This is a gun orientated state and people who live here cherish their 2nd amendment rights even If Joe Manchin our Senator lied to get elected and co sponsored an Anti gun bill after that. He will be dealt with I hope!

Hope people don't get screwed on these rifles as M39's are really neat weapons and rugged beyond belief! At one time My thoughts were only to collect M39's but Burns messing with them changed my mind because I was not sure of what I was getting after they cornered the market. Such is life! Bill
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Today Classic's status on their M39's is OUT OF STOCK....HUH?! Ten plus boxes are gone? :shock:

They sold so many they have to stop selling them and re-group....Pat Burns never had such success!! How is this even possible? :roll:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

NLMosin wrote:Today Classic's status on their M39's is OUT OF STOCK....HUH?! Ten plus boxes are gone? :shock:

They sold so many they have to stop selling them and re-group....Pat Burns never had such success!! How is this even possible? :roll:
Because the realization is setting in that there is a finite supply of these fine rifles, and people who until now have said, "Some day I'm gonna get an M39," are waking up and buying.

That, and I did not notice any number limit on purchases. Some folks bought more than one. Maybe a lot more than one. :2cents:

It was a decent price, but I didn't buy. I have . . . a number of them . . . and I didn't like the seller's attitude. Those dollars went towards a nice M28. :wink:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

That is a very nice m28, I am in on a very nice m27 so I need to not spend my money for another week or so.

I think Classic just put sales on hold until they catch up on orders and "sort" more rifles into their hand pick status.
Kollaa kestää
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Lee-online wrote:That is a very nice m28, I am in on a very nice m27 so I need to not spend my money for another week or so.

I think Classic just put sales on hold until they catch up on orders and "sort" more rifles into their hand pick status.
I read your comment on the M91/30 thread Lee, and I think that you are right on point.

If Classic does have any left, I will be very curious to see if these is a "price adjustment."

A tip of the helmet to JYD. He's been recommending for some time now that folks get their M39(s) while they can. I took that to heart, and while more are always welcome, I'm glad that I listened.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I am good on M39's but I am picking up a surprise next Sunday at the OGCA meeting.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeebill wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Your rifles are begging for owners because you do not take advantage of the huge market available in internet sales, you will not even ship a rifle to a FFL holder on a telephone deal . This limits you to just the small number of potential customers who meet you at a gun show. I bought a lot of M39's from Pat, even the most worn looking of them shot better than I do. I have my issues with Classic, shit customer service in the past, shit packing jobs, but I do have to give them credit were it comes to product. I bought at least 40 rifles or more from them before the chrome Mosin thing pissed me off, Mauser's, Mosins, SKS, K31's, Enfields, and a shitload of ammo, never once was there a problem with the product, it was always exactly as described or better. Buying from them I would worry that the rifle was tossed in a box with a single sheet of loose paper for padding, I would worry that when I call to complain about the resulting damage I would be given the bullshit runaround or hung up on, but I would not worry about them selling me an obvious piece of shit. Hidden problems can happen with any milsurp, that's the risk you take buying from anybody, but my own experience with Finn rifles in particular has shown me that the likelihood of such a problem with them is lower than any other weapon I have bought including US arms.

Again I ask where did you get the idea the bad ones went to the parts bins?

I am a people person and that is the major reason I sell at gun shows. When I went to a machine gun shoot in WV yesterday it was like old home week with former customers and friends visiting and buying stuff from me. Plus I met new people and gave my phone number out to them and I expect to hear from them too. I have bought many rifles from the internet and had some problems over the years. Locally I have a great distrust for the delivery agencies and yes I too distrust Classics famous packing abilities and their now stated disclaimer on bad product for their "Give Away Prices" . I too will not order anything like many others have stated and I expect their will be a tidal wave of new owners happy with what they got. I have about 40 or so M39's in one safe and almost all were through face to face sales which I spent less and more for sometimes but I was sure of what I was paying for each and every time because I held it in my hands and inspected it closely. Yes dealing face to face with people I know and like is what I prefer and I have the results to show for it.

You do not have the time to travel and go to shows or anywhere because you chose to live your life that way. Truthfully if I ran to your home and said come on Jim the next week is on me and to shut down the shop and be my guest I don't think I could get you out of your place. You like me are too old and set in your ways to change. I could tease you forever and not change you and you could do the same to me and have the same results! :lol: I am a motor butt and you are a I have to stay home butt. We have one thing very much in common we both live our lives the way we choose to live them so I guess we should both be happy and blessed with that.

Multi-tasking is a great part of my life and while I am not particularly good at it I have had to learn to do it to accomplish anything during the course of the day. I started out late yesterday and grabbed breakfast while on the way to Staples to get large tags for the gun shows. Then a stop at the warehouse to try and find some parts for the weapons I had cleaned and readied to be test shot and then final readied for the upcoming gun shows I plan to hit before the other knee gets done. Then a trip further north to the remote spot down in a valley where the Machine gun shoot was to be held. Walked in to the site of the firing line listening to a 1919 chattering away carrying my stuff to shoot and for sale too where buddy Joe and Jim Bob were set up with a chair waiting for the old fart to fall into. Shot a couple of the Nambu's and was surprised how easy they shot and worked after all these years of setting. Watched all the fun for a couple of hours and sold some stuff then packed and left for a dinner with a friend on the way home.

That is my life style and staying around the house is only necessary when I have needed shop time for stuff to get ready for shows. I chose my life style as you do and I like it as you do to or we wouldn't live that way. As far as having to buy from the internet I don't have to and choose not to so I have no complaints. I find Mosins because I am constantly looking and searching for sales online I can attend and buy in person. Even when I go to music shows there are little shops I have been hitting for years and yard sales this time of the year are really great around here. This is a gun orientated state and people who live here cherish their 2nd amendment rights even If Joe Manchin our Senator lied to get elected and co sponsored an Anti gun bill after that. He will be dealt with I hope!

Hope people don't get screwed on these rifles as M39's are really neat weapons and rugged beyond belief! At one time My thoughts were only to collect M39's but Burns messing with them changed my mind because I was not sure of what I was getting after they cornered the market. Such is life! Bill
It was a comment made by a gentleman I bought a Finnish military medal off of five or six years back. I emailed him with a question and we had an exchange of emails and it led to some spare rifle parts heading to me. He had served in Finland's military during the late 70's and he was taught marksmanship using the M39. He commented that the less than perfect rifles were cannibalized for parts to keep better rifles functional, and he did mention a bin, or box the old parts and actions and such went into. The mental image of that box stayed with me, what might have been in it worn or otherwise....

I know you do the shows to socialize Bill, my comment was directed at your complaint that you had no buyers for some M39's. It sounds like you get more guys coming in to bullshit with you but bringing empty wallets with them. Online sales tend to cut out the bullshit, people contact you because they have money to spend, you may get an email or two, or a phone call with questions, but for the most part it's business. Other than the one incident with Classic's shipping department, blamed on the FNG who started that day of course, every other firearm I have bought online reached me without incident, and that is a considerable number. Even the Classic rifles only had a few minor scratches in the shellac.
Theodore Roosevelt
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

NLMosin wrote:Today Classic's status on their M39's is OUT OF STOCK....HUH?! Ten plus boxes are gone? :shock:

Probably because Classic has much more exposure due to the fact that they sell a wider variety. Many people know about Classic, fewer know about Pat.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Marketing, fear, and frenzy buying. Same as when the Molots first hit the market, both M38 and snipers. All the rumors have Classic buying up all the Burns M39's. Burns suspends sale of M39's. Last chance to buy an M39. Truth is, nobody knows how many Classic bought, how many Burns has left, if this is in fact the Burns inventory, or a mystery cache that was pulled off the market 20 years ago. No one knows how many of this first offering were actually sold. No one knows anything, but it sure sparked interest in M39's.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Don't matter, in the end they will all be gone into private collections. They only made a limited number, Finland is a small country, no 10 million man army's, attrition over the years has accounted for who knows how many, and new collectors hit the market every day looking for one. Oh yea, they haven't made any since the 1970's, and probably will never make any again. One day the idea that you could get something like the M39 from a retail gun seller no matter Classic or some other will be only a memory.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Also to be considered is that attrition didn't end with the war. Right this minute some Bubba is putting a saw to a nice Tikka M39, another one is burning up in a house fire, yet another is being handed in at a police buy back program, the list goes on. Every year there will be fewer of every milsurp than existed the year before.
Theodore Roosevelt
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

As one other member mentioned, I wish I had A dollar for every time in the past you advised people to buy M39's while they still can. I got mine in the days I had funds, and prices were more reasonable. I'm glad I did.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

. . . and they keep drifting in. Yes, I agree whole heartedly that if you want an M39 you'd best wake up, but Classic isn't the "last chance/only game in town." You can still get something other than "pot luck and don't you dare complain," if you are willing to shop and (in some cases) to pay a premium-- which many people are not. I'm repeatedly amazed at the, "If it isn't a fantastic bargain, screw it!" attitude I see. But hey, fine. Wait for that "braggin' rights" bargain . . . as the supply dries up. To each, his own. :2cents:

`Acquired this one right before the current excitement started. It arrived on the Brown Truck even as Classic ran out.

Life is good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jungleking

Post by jungleking »

But been on here in a while but I just got mine from Classic. Choose hand select option on a Sako. What arrived was a 1942 with numbers matching bolt, receiver, and barrel. The stock has multiple fixes and a splice down the center. Seemed to be a rough fix, glue very uneven, compared to others I've seen pictured. Will post more pictures later in its own thread. When it's not late and have a chance to get some of the cosmoline off. I'm calling it an okay buy at the moment.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Looks good! Congratulations. :thumbsup: