Need help properly identifying my new Finnish Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jwaller5

Need help properly identifying my new Finnish Mosin Nagant

Post by jwaller5 »

Hello, new to the forum. I just bought my second Mosin Nagant from a local deputy. It is a Finnish “SA” marked “Peter the Great”. I was wondering if any of the following jumps out as rarer or interesting. Anything tell an interesting story? Any guess on value? I paid $200 for it, a sling and 60 rounds of ammo. Let me know if anyone wants to see pics and I will try and take some. How do I tell if its a M91 or M91/30? I think is a M91.
-Butt Stock-
-51??? Can’t read numbers
-Number “8”
-Letter “I”
-Izhevsk bow and arrow pre 1928
-mark that looks like a Christmas tree

-Sling slots-
-Are both dog collar with flathead screws
-Barrel Bands appear to be the kind tightened down with flathead screws
-Rear barrel band has a Tula arrow, front has a upside down “T”

-Trigger and Housing-
-symbol that looks like a shield with “L” is seen in two locations
-symbol on trigger that looks like a circle with “C” in it
-mark that is either a dash, or maybe an arrow
-circle with what looks like a lower case “n”
-12804 striked through

-Receiver Area, bolt-
-back of receiver has a “E”, something that looks like “au” in a circle, and something that looks like a “4”
-cocking bolt has 2966 with each number striked on it
-top of bolt has a Tula arrow, at base as something like the top of two arrows side by side
-bolt head and ejector has a a triangle with something in it like a “!”and something outside the triangle to the lower right
-numbered 551XX
- has a upside down “T” also see a sideways “T”, maybe it’s a sickle?

-Base of Barrel-
-base of barrel shows “Peter the Great” marking, N2875X, 1916, has a Roman numeral “X”, “π”, “K” in a circle, “SA” in a box,

-Sights and Sight Base-
-sight appears to be a Russian with marked to show Finnish, one side goes from 2 to 8 ½, other side has 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 striked out, underside of rear sight go from 13 to 32
-half circle over a “T”,
a “M, W or 3” can’t tell which
“π”, 5

-Barrel-
-nose cap has a up side down “T”
-front sight is a notch, without a barrel hood.

thanks for any help you can offer. Also, thanks for all the information on the site.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Need help properly identifying my new Finnish Mosin Naga

Post by Miller Tyme »

Pictures are your frien . :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

M-91 Finn captured :2cents: SBP pictures yes
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
jwaller5

Post by jwaller5 »

OK, I will post some tomorrow.
jwaller5

Post by jwaller5 »

here are the promised pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: peter the great m91 :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jwaller5

Post by jwaller5 »

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Peter the Great m91 as mentioned, with the E on the receiver it has a US made Westinghouse receiver. You got it at a fantastic price.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
jwaller5

Post by jwaller5 »

thanks for looking. What would you value it at? I found on the internet that the shield with a "L" in it is french? Anyone know anything about that? How did it get there?
entropy

Post by entropy »

Sestroryetsk cocking piece and rear sight spring, Tula buttplate, Finnish 'finger' joint stock,and the shield with the 'L' being French would jive with the C just below it being from Chatellerault.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Excellent find, you will have to chase many Mosins to get a deal like this again. I'll give you $250.00 cash plus shipping for it :twisted:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

If I had it on the table at a gun show and it had a decent bore and shot ok after I checked it I would have about $325 on it. It has almost too many different marks on to be honest about it, apparent non-matching bolt (which on a Finn is not unusual), and appears to have not been ever fitted for the little screws which hold the bands in place during firing and that in turn holds the hand guard in place too. With as much time as the Finn's apparently put into it I wonder why there are no little holes for the screws? Keep in mind anything is possible with a Finn gun though. No cleaning rod which they are getting about $50 or more for these days too.

Please be aware that the screws on the barrel bands turn the opposite way to open and release off the wood so you don break them taking the rifle apart to clean and inspect it before firing. Checking headspace, firing pin protrusion, and cocking it and bounce testing it while empty of ammo would all be recommended before firing for safety. Typical nice well used Finnish M91 rifle with a story we might love to hear to tell us but unfortunately it can't tell us but it does give us hints though. Congrats at the price you got it you got a buy when considered among us hard nosed collectors on here. Keep in mind that you will only have a limited market among collectors as the buying public today still knows precious little of your rifles value. Enjoy your new rifle and look forward to the next one you find! Bill ;mywink;
jwaller5

Post by jwaller5 »

Thanks everyone. Zeebill, please clarify since I am new to this,,,, "to many markings to be honest about."????? And clarify " bounce test"???? I have not decided if I will keep it, I bought it as a investment, knowing it was at least worth the $200, I payed. Plus the 60 rounds of ammo he through in.

On another note, looking at the sling, I assumed it was a respo, but on the underside of one of the do collars it is stamped "03 IOTK-E 1963r", what does that mean?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I would rather just let the statement set as stated in that many marks like you have on there are unusual but can happen. The rifle while I like it would be ringing bells for me to look real close at things years of collecting have shown me to check and frankly what they are I would rather keep to myself. Just one hint would be the number of stamps on the upper side of the tang is very high and my old eyes can not see what they all are so I get wary, no more than that for now, Sorry.

Bounce test is to see the rifle will not discharge accidently and one merely with an empty rifle cocks it and bounces it on its butt plate on say a carpeted floor about 6 to 8 times to make sure it is not going to fire when you don't want it to fire. Are you with me now?

By the way you are a refreshing minority when you say you bought the rifle as an investment. Many people refuse to admit they are attempting to do that but pay too much to begin with and yes I have been there and more than likely will be in that position again too. :oops: I am sitting here looking at a refurb 1942 Izhevsk side rail PEM ex-sniper I know I may not break even with because I knew it was pretty rare and paid a premium for, Duh! Bill :oops:
jwaller5

Post by jwaller5 »

Thanks for the insight. I'm in NC by the way. Also, I did not mention, but the rifle shows import marks from Century on the underside of the barrel.