When did Remington "go bad"?

Everything shotgun discussed here.
A J

When did Remington "go bad"?

Post by A J »

I've heard a lot of Remington bashing lately. Approximately what date did Remington's quality control take a nose-dive?

I have four Remington 870s. The only problem I've had is receiver rust. Other than that, they have been flawless. I'm wondering if mine were built prior to the Remington meltdown I hear everyone talk about. The dates of manufacture are:

1. 1994
2. 1997
3. 1993
4. 1998 (barrel = 1987)

Shotgun #4 I only purchased (brand new) a couple of years ago. It's interesting that the manufacture date of the receiver was actually 15 years prior to my purchase.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: When did Remington "go bad"?

Post by Longcolt44 »

The Marlin division of Remington had some fit and finishing problems a couple of years ago but they have remedied that problem. They had a big callback call back for their triggers on the Model 700. They ended up with a big lawsuit over these as some would fire when dropped. Currently I know nothing about any existing problems.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
A J

Post by A J »

Perhaps it's just internet rhetoric I've been hearing in regards to Remington. So far, all my Remingtons have been fine.
redhat10

Post by redhat10 »

There was the barrel spliting on the Semi-auto 1100's, NO STEEL SHOT in them.. but i could not find anything for certain about any replacement or exchange program..Prior to that they had the market about sewed up in skeet..The 870's were all okay..
entropy

Post by entropy »

A J wrote:I've heard a lot of Remington bashing lately. Approximately what date did Remington's quality control take a nose-dive?

I have four Remington 870s. The only problem I've had is receiver rust. Other than that, they have been flawless. I'm wondering if mine were built prior to the Remington meltdown I hear everyone talk about. The dates of manufacture are:

1. 1994
2. 1997
3. 1993
4. 1998 (barrel = 1987)

Shotgun #4 I only purchased (brand new) a couple of years ago. It's interesting that the manufacture date of the receiver was actually 15 years prior to my purchase.

They've been made since 1950. There's @ 8 million of them out there, and more built every day. The 870's made today, while not as good looking, and perfectly made as the older ones. are still good, very servicable shotguns. Some of their newer production rifles and the R51 9mm pistol on the other hand.... :beek:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
billybob123

Post by billybob123 »

They went "bad" when they quit making the quality Wingmaster guns and went to the express and super magnum. Had a super magnum and didn't care for it. Much prefer my 40 year old wingmaster magnum that I just happen to be looking at this very second.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

entropy wrote:
A J wrote:I've heard a lot of Remington bashing lately. Approximately what date did Remington's quality control take a nose-dive?

1. 1994
2. 1997
3. 1993
4. 1998 (barrel = 1987)

They've been made since 1950. There's @ 8 million of them out there, and more built every day. The 870's made today, while not as good looking, and perfectly made as the older ones. are still good, very servicable shotguns. Some of their newer production rifles and the R51 9mm pistol on the other hand.... :beek:
I was really excited about the R51. :angry4:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Are we talking guns or ammunition? My 870 (a Wingmaster) is as slick as a pile of goose shit. My 1100 is almost as nice. Now when you get to the new stuff, especially the 870's they work well but are not as smooth until well used and the finish sucks. The one I carry in my patrol car has a AR type adjustable plastic stock and as far as I'm concerned it's useless. I want that piece of wood on it so if I have to I can buttstroke an asshole. :soapbox:
Last edited by Ironnewt on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

As to ammunition, Don't get me started. ESPECIALLY concerning .22 lr's :bigrant: :bigrant: :bigrant:

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Remington moved their Marlin rimfire manufacturing to KY a few years ago.There seems to have been little experience transfer in the move. It has taken them a while to get back up to speed. They have also recently moved their entire R&D facility from KY to Arkansas. Who knows what that may bring, as there was lots of experience lost in that move as well.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
entropy

Post by entropy »

Doesn't R&D in Arkansas usually begin with, "Hold my beer and watch this...." ? :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

billybob123

Post by billybob123 »

entropy wrote:Doesn't R&D in Arkansas usually begin with, "Hold my beer and watch this...." ? :wink:
You say that like it's a bad thing...I mean 32+ broken bones, numerous scars and one near death experience of no breathing or pulse for 9+ minutes is just living life to it's fullest right? Yeah I am that guy... :pointup:
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Got a .410 bore 870 for Xmas a few years back, the magazine tube was bored slightly crooked. Absolutely refused to feed. Sent it back, they fixed it free of charge, shoots great now.
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
entropy

Post by entropy »

rayjd2 wrote:Got a .410 bore 870 for Xmas a few years back, the magazine tube was bored slightly crooked. Absolutely refused to feed. Sent it back, they fixed it free of charge, shoots great now.
Bored? :vconfused: It's a stamped or drawn piece. It might have been silver soldered in crooked, though. The mag tube on the Pardner I just picked up for 4-H pulled the barrel to the left. I tokk the barrel off, turned the mag tube 1/4 turn and voila! Points straight again. Well actually, it points up a liitle but on a trap gun, that's a plus. :biggrin:

Can't really blame the Pardner on Remington, though, even though they own H&R 1873. Hawk Industries, Inc. (Norinco) actually makes them. :wink:

Murphy was an optimist.

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

redhat10 wrote:There was the barrel spliting on the Semi-auto 1100's, NO STEEL SHOT in them.. but i could not find anything for certain about any replacement or exchange program..Prior to that they had the market about sewed up in skeet..The 870's were all okay..
3 of us in my club use 1100's against the wily waterfowl. This is the first I have heard of no steel in 1100's Can you name your source? I would just like to verify.

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Ironnewt wrote:Are we talking guns or ammunition? My 870 (a Wingmaster) is as slick as a pile of goose shit. My 1100 is almost as nice. Now when you get to the new stuff, especially the 870's they work well but are not as smooth until well used and the finish sucks. The one I carry in my patrol car has a AR type adjustable plastic stock and as far as I'm concerned it's useless. I want that piece of wood on it so if I have to I can buttstroke an asshole. :soapbox:
That's the spirit. That is why I like a steel handgun too. I would hate to have to go upside someones head with a plastic pistol.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Too many American Manufacturers have gone to hell. I don't know about Remington specifically but mid 1960s seems to be when everything started to change. Too much crap made in China or using Chinese materials today. Hopefully we will see a resurgence of American Made and with it a return to quality.

On a side note it is sad when Americans look for Made in Japan for quality electronics. I remember when Made in Japan was considered junk.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

On the plus side, I purchased the new upgraded remington R51 9mm and I couldn't be happier with it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

My friend at work bought that Remington pistol too and likes it alot. My Remington 1100 12 ga was made in '68, the 5th year of the 1100. It's pretty sweet and has a non-vented barrel. My 20 ga Remington is a Lite 20 and was my dad's. It is a flawless operator.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

This is what the Remington R&D folks that did not want to move to Arkansas did. Pretty impressive operation. http://www.atlasdg.com/index.cfm/ID/3/AboutUs/
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis