M44 bolt issues

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Atth2o

M44 bolt issues

Post by Atth2o »

Hi new member here,

I have a M44. The bolt will cycle and the gun will shoot. BUT when the bolt us closed it does not lock in, empty or with a round in . The bolt doesnt "lock down" i guess you would say . I can pull the bolt off the gun and twist it into the "cocked" mode and it sna ps into place, but when it is in the gun it doesnt engage all the way. Great sight !! Thanks in advance
boltaction

Re: M44 bolt issues

Post by boltaction »

Hello, Is your bolt put together correctly??? You could post pics.... Then we would maybe know what your trying to explain.... Play safe..
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Have you checked the chamber for an obstruction? There has been at times a casing in the chamber that had its head ripped off. I hope you are not using a any real ammo in it for testing. If you find nothing , have you checked the headspaceing, see OKIE in the banner above.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
redhat10

Post by redhat10 »

How does a Mosin shoot, without the bolt being 'Down"?? I too favor part of a casing still being in the chamber, except for the timing issue of firing? If it fires with out being locked, I hope it is tied to a tree, when it does?
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

Sounds like the OP is trying to say that the bolt body & bolt handle are not touching the right side of the receiver when it is in battery. If it is lifted slightly, it's not something to worry about, it happens on quite a few of mine. I believe it is just the loose tolerances of the notches on the bolt body and the cocking piece, and also the amount of material machined off the right side of the receiver.
It's definitely not a safety issue, as the lugs are engaged, and the bolt handle itself is a huge 3rd lug.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Easy check, if you have another mosin. Try that bolt in another rifle, and or try another rifles's bolt in your M-44.....SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"