Walther P5

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jones0430

Walther P5

Post by jones0430 »

I got a Walther P5 off of an auction on GB, and I picked it up today.

I've always liked the P38 design, and the P5 is the last in the direct design line of the P38. The breakdown is identical. The safety/decocker is unique in that it uses a physical hole in the hammer when decocked to ensure the weapon is fire safe. The firing pin moves up when the trigger is pulled so that the hammer may strike it.

It fits my hand nicely, and has a good, natural point in my hand. It's no bigger than my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact, but it is slimmer but a little. I think I may carry it.

Me like!

This is a modern pistol with antecedents that scream its heritage.

"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Walther P5

Post by bunkysdad »

That is very cool. I have never seen one or even heard of them before but I sure like the looks of it. Is it 9mm like the P38?
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

The P5 was developed for the west German Police, and carries a BMI approval mark. It is 9mm parabellum, like the P38. When you disassemble it you can see the design similarities with the P38. It's better suited to concealed carry, smoother lines.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Went to the range. After getting used to the trigger and the recoil, which is very light feeling, I started hitting the way I thought it should.

finloq

Post by finloq »

Very interesting. Thanks for the report.

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Like my friend BD said, I have never seen or heard of this pistol. So I went to an information source and found that these pistols are not only like a P38 they are in the same price bracket, $1200.00+. This is not only a nice pistol it's a damned nice pistol, congrats.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!