What is this anyway>

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Burrhead

What is this anyway>

Post by Burrhead »

I looked at this rifle this morning at a gun shop locally, they are asking $295 for it. At first I thought it might be a Finn based on the color of the stock. Also the description says it's an 1891 with a 28.5 inch barrel. So after looking at it I came to these conclusions.
1. It has a pretty nice bore.
2. I don't have any idea beyond that.
3. The bolt and receiver do not match.
4. No cleaning rod
5. The stock has been redone.
Anyway here's the picture posted on there web site. I couldn't get them to budget on the price and I have been window shopping for an 1891. I may go back in a week or so and if it's still there I might try again.
Burrhead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redspoon

Re: What is this anyway>

Post by redspoon »

I blew up the pic a bit, looks like solid bands and rear sight looks about right for a dragoon. Kinda hard to tell about the stock finish from the pics.
scribs87

Post by scribs87 »

From what i can see and if its a 1891 id grab it. But its probably a 20's tula. But im new to collecting. Thats my first thought
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fairly typical dragoon rifle, probably from the period when Mosins were coming in from Spain back in the 50's. Did you check for an import mark? I would have bought it immediately as dragoon rifles tend to be rare and expensive when they turn up. Stock redone? Maybe, or maybe not, some of the SCW imports do have that look to the stock.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fboyj

Post by Fboyj »

Very nice rifle. Where is it because I'll gladly pay 295 for that rifle.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

It is a dragoon, they seem to start a $300 and go up depending on year and arsenal. If its a Finn then it may have been refurbished by them. A Dragoon is a lot harder to find than a m1891.
Kollaa kestää
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

They say 1925 but from what JYD said I may go back for another look tomorrow, I have some cash and I may just slap a hold on it. They will give me 90 days to pay it out. I got turned off by the sales guys attitude. I'll try someone else tomorrow. Let you know what I find out. If I don't buy it I'll post where it is.
Burrhead
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Burrhead, if you don't buy it, run on over to minute clinic and tell the doctor you are ill. Because you should grab that quick at that price. Just think of all the times you see refurbs that excite people because they are ex-dragoons. Well this one actually is a dragoon. It doesn't matter if it is a Spanish Civil War or a Finned rifle. It never got upgraded and that is why the price is right. And even if the stock had been refinished, which I can't tell from the picture, it still looks like a good deal. Don't worry about educating the guys selling it. That isn't your job. Good luck buddy.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A simple decision...buy it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Buy it.

As those who know are telling you, it's a Dragoon rifle, and it looks like it's in excellent shape (obviously this is based solely on the pic). 1925 would be the correct year for a Dragoon.

The shop keeper is surly? You only need to say one word to him. "Sold." As you walk out the door, just smile at the deal you got and the fact that "Mr. Attitude" didn't know what he had and let it go at a bargain price.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Shame someone did the usual obligatory refinish job on it. Unmatched Dragoons seem to be all I can find these days have seen two in the last month and they too were refinished by someone. Go back in there cool as heck and offer them $250 and tell them to hold it for you. Most buyers these days rapidly forget they have the money and can control the situation if they are aggressive enough in their buying technique. Worse they can say is no and then you ask them what is there best deal to get you to buy this rifle. Nice to see rifles like this floating around without loving owners yet in these days of the market. Was set up at a gun show yesterday when I had the only two refurbs (other than shoulder carrying collectors) for sale in the whole place. Not a sellers market right now although one of my K31's went fast at $375 finally. Take Care and Go get that rifle seems to be the call. Bill
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I'd probably pick it up for $295 OTD (not that my choice would matter to you since I'm new to the forum). The stock is a tough one...it looks like it could have been refinished...you said it has. Photos can be deceiving sometimes. If it looks good overall, and you want a Dragoon, it's probably not a bad buy.
Mosin Fanboy
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I think that JYD is right. SCW. It looks like it has the original dragoon bands on it. I enlarged and focused the pic as best I could, and I cannot make out any markings on the side of that rear sight.
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

For those who are confused - the dragoon is sometimes listed in literature as an M91 dragoon. It confused me when I first started collecting, but it's easy to tell an M91 from a 91/30 or dragoon because the front barrel band on an M91 is just behind the nose cap all the way at the end of the stock.
gurn

Post by gurn »

Well? Updates? :vconfused:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Not sure if Burrhead got it, but someone did. They still had it for sale on their website this morning, but as of now it's gone. I hope he got it.
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

Well I did go back Sunday morning and the rifle was gone. As they say he who hesitates is a dumb ass Please see picture below.
Burrhead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gurn

Post by gurn »

:bonk: :facepalm2:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That's OK Burrhead, you can catch the next one that comes along. Maybe about 2020 and they should hopefully still be under 2 grand. :P
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Duh.... It's gone because it was also posted at a collector's site. As soon as you circulated pictures about, someone grabbed it immediately - knowing what it was. Local shop? Or, were you looking on line? Because this is the stock picture from the web site. If you are online and interested in a rifle, send a PM to JYD or someone else in the know. Don't splatter it all over the forum. :angry4: