Question on a can of ammo...

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
easyliven88

Question on a can of ammo...

Post by easyliven88 »

Hello all...I'm having trouble identifying this can of ammo. It's labeled as 54R Yellow Tip, I'm just not finding anything to confirm. Thanks for any help, Jason

J R
1915 Izhevsk hex
1916 Izhevsk hex
1939 Tula
1942 Izhevsk
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 Izhevsk
Lee-online

Re: Question on a can of ammo...

Post by Lee-online »

All I can say is its Chinese. Likely on strippers.

Try reading this for more info.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/c8ina.asp
Kollaa kestää
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't claim to be a genius but I agree that it is Chinese. I bet it shoots good.
joelvca

Post by joelvca »

I asked about this in my thread over on Gunboards about Chinese ammo markings, and Captain Mainwaring replied in this post:

"There was a bit of variation in Chinese script in the mid 50s- early 60s because many characters were being changed from more complex traditional forms to 'simplified' forms. The can reads 7.62 軽弹 (夹) which is '7.62 Light Ball (Chargers)'. The 弹 is the simplified form and both forms can be found on ammo cans. I have used the traditional form in my table. I have a much more complete set of translations and discussion about ammunition in my book.

I believe that the Chinese made heavy ball in the early years, but ceased, possibly by about 1955. I haven't seen any pictures of Chinese heavy ball in my research. I would assume that it would have been labeled as 7.62 重弹."

Regards,
Joel