Stoopid Gander Mtn.

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Brake Weight

Stoopid Gander Mtn.

Post by Brake Weight »

I swung through there today, after having sworn to myself I'd never set foot inside again, and Lo and behold they actually had a few guns on sale. Literally cheaper than anywhere else by a good $10-15.

So, I was looking at a H&R Pardner for a closet/HD gun for $170 price tag. Short barrel with a bead on it.

Or an 870 Express for $229.

Two 870s with slug barrels already on them for a little more than what I paid for my Remington brand slug barrel alone.

They had one of those Catamount Fury Chinese built mag fed 12g in the $400 range-used. A pile of .22lr rifles, and a bunch of assorted calibers that aren't normally shot around here.

The heck with it. I'll be over there early tomorrow anyway running errands for birthday party supplies, and if they're open that early both the 870 and the H&R are mine.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Jbob

Re: Stoopid Gander Mtn.

Post by Jbob »

I go there and Cabelas every chance I get just to look around. I buy a few thousand reloading primers now and then but hardly anything else... Just like to look and handle what they have in stock.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

It's been a long while since I've been in a Gander Mtn... Might have to change that. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

870 is a good gun, solid, no surprises.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I hate...loathe the place. The atmosphere, the salesmen's attitudes, their lack or care and/or knowledge astounds me every trip. But when there's tables lined up in the aisle with guns all over it and I have free reign to fondle them, things become better. I want to buy them all so that I know they won't rust from the masses of greasy hands, but I can't. But I'm headed out in a few minutes to rescue two of them.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you have suffered abuse at the hands of the sales staff you should write the CEO of the company and explain the problem. Might get a result.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

I don't care if the staff knows less than I do, (all modesty aside) I expect that. When I do go there, (not often) I know exactly what I want, and can find it myself. As for various attitudes, after a lifetime of going to various gun shops, clubs, ranges, etc., I've seen & heard them all. I can be civil and supress the urge to strangle an attitude (and it's espouser) long enough to get done what I need to do. I just mentally project their image on the target next time I'm out shooting..... :devil2:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I went and the 870 I wanted was gone already. But the H&R was there and I got it. There was an older gent that helped me. This was the best experience I've ever had there. He brought a second Pardner pump from the back that was used. I bought both and one warranty that he left blank so I could put down whichever one broke, all under $400.
Abraham Lincoln
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I think you did well. Probably had to do with the "older" gent helping you.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I couldn't finger it all day and it finally came to me. The guy reminded me of old Tom Oar from Mountain Men. The one where he and his wife sell skins for a living in Wyoming. He has that voice, aged look, and shuffle. Made me feel good getting walked to the door with him in point holding one shotgun and me bringing up the rear with another...although mine was in its box still.
Abraham Lincoln
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I stopped by today. Pretty much the usual overpriced stuff. Saw a XDs used for $600. :big shock: I did buy a magpul single point sling and sling plate. They were priced normal. Ammo was stupid high.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
A J

Post by A J »

Last time I went to Gander Mountain I was looking at handguns. The prices were 20-30 percent higher than online prices - even when you factored in for sales tax, shipping and FFL fees. Looks like they're getting back to reality.