Dry firing a mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dry firing a mosin

Post by bunkysdad »

I have some snap caps. I have 2 because they come 2 to a package. I like them more for function testing the feeding from the magazine to the chamber, and extraction, and don't even bother to dig them out to check an occasional trigger pull. I wouldn't want to dry fire over and over again, but a few times here and there has never caused a problem.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Dry fire exercises are good to learn your trigger pull for a particular weapon.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
joelvca

Post by joelvca »

I found some .410 shotgun snap caps with the spring-loaded brass plungers to cushion the strikers, and they work perfectly in 7.62x54 chambers. I tried them in .303 British but the snap caps are too fat at the front.

Regards,
Joel
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

While I understand that these weapons are designed and built to withstand hard use, I am irrationally attached to them. Using a snap cap is probably more about my mentality (and early training) than it is about the rifle. If I can minimize the (admittedly small) chance of damaging the rifle, then $9 for a couple of snap caps is a cheap price to pay for my peace of mind.
Crispytoad08

Post by Crispytoad08 »

Thank you all for the info and advice. Ive come to the right place.jack m
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

The best way to decock a Mosin is to cycle the bolt but not drop the bolt handle all the way. Pulling the trigger will decock the weapon safely
and give you a chance to check trigger pull. I realize that this post wasn't about decocking, but it works just the same. :2cents:
Crispytoad08

Post by Crispytoad08 »

Thank you all , im clearly in the right place. My just bought mosin m-44 , 1944 , is my first step into this world. I will do this weapon proud.
Jack m.
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

The local gunsmith told me that military firearms cannot be harmed by dry firing. It is true that the firing pin will become brittle and eventually break, but it takes many thousands of dry hits. What he told me was "If you can manage to break it, I'll replace it free."
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Cosmoline guy wrote:The best way to decock a Mosin is to cycle the bolt but not drop the bolt handle all the way. Pulling the trigger will decock the weapon safely
and give you a chance to check trigger pull. I realize that this post wasn't about decocking, but it works just the same. :2cents:
DO NOT do this with a loaded rifle. You will make holes appear where you may not want them.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hence the reason I think this is a bad idea. Getting in a habit of decocking like this could lead to doing so with a chambered round.
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

Let us never forget the safety rules. Always be sure of an empty chamber. This version of decocking is not like an auto pistol.
entropy

Post by entropy »

joelvca wrote:I found some .410 shotgun snap caps with the spring-loaded brass plungers to cushion the strikers, and they work perfectly in 7.62x54 chambers. I tried them in .303 British but the snap caps are too fat at the front.

Regards,
Joel
Taper 'em off with a grinder......
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien