cleaning

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
56 kodiak shooter

cleaning

Post by 56 kodiak shooter »

during war time, what did they used to clean their rifles & how often did they cleaned it
gopedxr7

Re: cleaning

Post by gopedxr7 »

its a good question, i am curious as well.

i read somewhere they lubed them with used motor oil, sounds odd to me
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Who do you mean?

One thing is common for all. They cleaned often even when not fired and always in the first possible occasion after firing it. The weapon is soldiers tool and life. Rifle first, equipment second, man last. That was and is the rule of thumb.

Soviets used lye-water solution for cleaning and oil/grease for rust preventing.

Finnish army used bore cleaning solvent (water based) and oil.

Americans used water based GI Bore Cleaner and oil.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

For patches they uses the strings that the ammo is wrapped in.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

SA1911a1 wrote:For patches they uses the strings that the ammo is wrapped in.
Are we talking about the Soviets? Well, if there was a terribly lack of tow they might have used the strings if the string was made out of hemp. Paper string was useless for cleaning. Anyways tow was plenty and available so I should imagine string was not used that often.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

gopedxr7 wrote:its a good question, i am curious as well.

i read somewhere they lubed them with used motor oil, sounds odd to me
I'd be surprised if there was much used motor oil available. However I've seen new motor oil used to keep a M2 Browning running and I've used ATF on a M60 so I don't see why used oil would not due for a bolt action in a pinch.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have heard and read so many different stories about what was used that I pale to get into the products. I would say that a blanket statement would be they used what they had and had to use it because it was all that was available. Even looking at us today think about all the varied ways we take care of our rifles and they all seem to work. I am sure if you realize that keeping that rifle clean was keeping you alive you can be very inventive with that type of motivation. Bill