Why bother?

Shawnc

Why bother?

Post by Shawnc »

Today I realized, I just sold my last "modern" hunting rifle for a milsurp. The more I thought about it the more it occured to me, with some extra practice (more range time is good) and at the ranges I hunt at, there is no reason for me, at this point, to own a "modern" hunting rifle. There is nothing a more up to date rifle can do that I can't accomplish with iron sights (until my eyesight starts going). And milsurps are generally cheaper and more collectable. Anyone else care to join me off the deep end? :biggrin:
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Re: Why bother?

Post by websterz »

Every rifle deer I have ever taken was with either my 1965 Chi-Com SKS or my scoped (no-drill/no tap) 91-30. I won't do it any other way! :toast:

And like I have said before, nothing is better than taking the former weapons of our enemies and using them to put food on the table. THAT'S how you thumb your nose at the damn Commies! :lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, I am blind as a bat, I need the scope on my Savage 110, and there is no way I am parting with my Winchester 1894 :lol: the Marlin 1895 either :lol: I got a lot of history with my commercial firearms as I do with my milsurps, each has it's place. Milsurps were made to take the most dangerous game of all, you should have no problem taking deer, pigs, or other human sized pray.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I'll keep what I've got.... But if it works for you??? :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome to the Dark Side Shawn. But are you sure you don't need a muzzleloader or 2? :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

desdem12 wrote:Welcome to the Dark Side Shawn. But are you sure you don't need a muzzleloader or 2? :lol:
Only if it's an original revolutionary war flintlock...Saw a tiger maple musket a few years ago that was absolutely gorgeous. :biggrin:
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

French, Spanish, British, or American produced? Well, in any case, see Dolk, He has tiger striped everything, and has some muskets, but probably will not sell unless it's a really large amount.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MNMose

Post by MNMose »

No problem using a milsurp as a hunting rifle as long as you take care of it. Even with my nearsighted eyes, I've downed a few deer with my 24/47. 75 yds was my best one with open sights. 2nd shot. He was so interested in the doe I'd seen go ahead of him that he hardly noticed my first shot. :wink: In my area of eastern VA there are few places to get long shots anyways. Mostly shotgun in these parts.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I had a pile of semi-auto pistols when I first discovered the Mosin Nagant. Most of them have gone to Russia..... I am financially challenged and have to scrimp to finance my bad habits. I have been eyeballing my last scoped hunting rifle wondering what I could get for it. I don't hunt any more, and I don't plan on sniping anyone anytime soon, so what do I need with that thing, when it could convert to a top-of-the-line Mosin.

Anyone want a Voere Cougar in .06? :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
lmc8541

Post by lmc8541 »

Anyone want a Voere Cougar in .06?
maybe? how much? pic? (damn, Not another gun!) did I say that out loud? or was I thinking it?? :?
USMC '85-'89 Weapons Co. 1/5 SSP
Deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his Rifle!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote:I had a pile of semi-auto pistols when I first discovered the Mosin Nagant. Most of them have gone to Russia..... I am financially challenged and have to scrimp to finance my bad habits. I have been eyeballing my last scoped hunting rifle wondering what I could get for it. I don't hunt any more, and I don't plan on sniping anyone anytime soon, so what do I need with that thing, when it could convert to a top-of-the-line Mosin.

Anyone want a Voere Cougar in .06? :D
Sure, I would love to have it :thumbsup: ......Oh wait, it sounds like you might want money for it :biggrin: only money I have comes out of a Parker Brothers board game :biggrin:
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

MNMose wrote:No problem using a milsurp as a hunting rifle as long as you take care of it. Even with my nearsighted eyes, I've downed a few deer with my 24/47. 75 yds was my best one with open sights. 2nd shot. He was so interested in the doe I'd seen go ahead of him that he hardly noticed my first shot. :wink: In my area of eastern VA there are few places to get long shots anyways. Mostly shotgun in these parts.
Same here in western Va. my modern hunting rifle is in an old milsurp caliber, .45-70 Govt. In the thick brushy areas I hunt, 75-125yds max, so it works well.

Over the years, I have traded and sold off most of my modern rifles mainly due to I don't hunt much any more and changes in interests.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
BostonMike

Why bother?

Post by BostonMike »

Only reason I could own a modern hunting rifle is because no matter how beat up a milsurp is, I don't want to damage it anymore. I'd rather put a scratch in the stock of a modern rifle than a type 53 that looks like it came out of a swamp.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
MNMose

Post by MNMose »

[quote="BostonMike"]Only reason I could own a modern hunting rifle is because no matter how beat up a milsurp is, I don't want to damage it anymore. I'd rather put a scratch in the stock of a modern rifle than a type 53 that looks like it came out of a swamp.

Good point. I did say, "If you take care of it". I saw a K. Kale at a gun show once. It was the day I bought my first 2 mosins. The seller advertised the Mauser as his ex-gopher gun that he kept strapped to his tractor. It was in pretty rough shape. He kept telling me the receiver was worth more than he was asking for the gun. I think there's a difference between a guy who gets a few days a year in a rifle ready spot versus the guy with the piece of history rusting on the side of his tractor.
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

I think the few dings on it are great for claiming historical accuracy to a rifle that I accidentally scraped on a barbed wire fence. :brolleyes:
I'll miss my .444 Marlin, but not as much as I like the K31 that replaced it. This'll be my first year hunting in VA so hopefully I'll have good luck with these. :biggrin:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

BostonMike wrote:Only reason I could own a modern hunting rifle is because no matter how beat up a milsurp is, I don't want to damage it anymore. I'd rather put a scratch in the stock of a modern rifle than a type 53 that looks like it came out of a swamp.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Heh, Mike this put a smile on my face. I'm still chuckling. We really love these old war horses don't we? I hunt with a VZ-24 8mm Mauser with open sights and even with my bad eyesight it's never let me down. There's a post of last years take with it in this section. I've hunted in Pennsylvania in the brush with a Marlin 336 35rem and although I love that rifle I'll take my Mauser hands down over it any day. Oh and I'm very careful with it. I hunt from an elevated stand so it's not being dragged through the bushes.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You poor easterners. :lol: If you sat in a tree out here you might see a squirrel but that would be it unless you were lucky and someone scared a deer to ya. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:You poor easterners. :lol: If you sat in a tree out here you might see a squirrel but that would be it unless you were lucky and someone scared a deer to ya. :lol:

Some people do that tree stand thing here mostly the youngsters and bow hunters. I have a wooden structure that looks like a lifeguard stand that's 8 feet off the ground at the floor. It's beside a pine stand that has a clear trail 20 feet wide and 200yards long next to it. I'm to lazy to climb trees though I do have a huge redsquirel that has visited me for the last 4 years when I'm in the stand. He runs along the in the trees at the fence line and stops in the pine next to the stand and gives me hell for being there.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I'll keep the old Remington .30-06 700BDL manufactured in 1960 so it's starting to have that old gun feel.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I will not be parted from my Savage 110 in 30.06.
We have met the enemy and he is us.