C&R Easter Eggs of every color!

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Capybara

C&R Easter Eggs of every color!

Post by Capybara »

Okay, I fibbed, they are not Easter Eggs, but they are Easter rifles as I got them all out of the safe this morning!

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: C&R Easter Eggs of every color!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: Happy Easter
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Very nice, and great pictures. How do you do the white background? It really makes them stand out! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

RazorBurn wrote:Very nice, and great pictures. How do you do the white background? It really makes them stand out! :thumbsup:
White muslin backdrop (could do it with a white sheet just as easily), four flashes, Lightroom and Photoshop. Pretty easy to do compared to creating a killer centerfold look ala GUNSs magazine usually does with ammo, accessories, etc. This look is more like a catalog look, simpler to do.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

So what you are saying is you have professional equipment? :P I have been wanting to build a photo box, not just for gun stuff, but to sell on Ebay also. All of your rifles "pop" right off of the screen.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Yes, I am a cinematographer for a living so I hijack some of my grip gear although you should know that I shot these with an outdated Canon T3i. The T3i can be bought new old stock right now for as little as $249.00, if you can find one so you don't have to have an expensive camera to make decent images. The issue that really makes images of guns work or not work is the lighting. This was lit with four flashes but could have been done with the three. I also had some softboxes, etc. I've never seen a photo box large enough for long guns but maybe one exists or you could build one, they're not that difficult to make. You should begin reading http://www.strobist.com do the 101 and 102 if you really want to learn how to light.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yes I thought I would build one using white fabric with lighting behind the fabric on 3 sides, but I really appreciate the link. I am checking it out now.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Photoboxes are good for when you have a lot of volume of images to shoot and just need to crank through them. Like for Ebay, etc. The only downside of a photobox for long guns is that it would have to be quite a bit longer than your longest gun and think about the angle. In order to fit a long gun into the frame, you would need to have the camera back far enough from the gun to fit it all in. If you use too wide of an angle of lens, the bowing/distortion will be extreme and if you don't have a wide angle lens, you will have to have the camera back from the rifle about 6-10'. These were taken mostly at 30-35mm focal length from about 8' away. So the more I think about it, a photobox for a long gun wouldn't really work very well. They are great for pistols and smaller accessories but long guns are so long, like the Turkish Mauser and 91/30 above.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

nice collection!
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Thanks Jim. I have enjoyed building it up. I still have half a dozen M44s and SKS laying around, dripping in cosmo. Someday I will have time to clean them up and photograph them as well.