Finnish sling ID.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Pip6214

Finnish sling ID.

Post by Pip6214 »

I'm looking to get a positive ID on this sling. It is a soft leather and has a faint Friitalan Nahkatehdas OY marking but no SKY civil guard marks. I haven't seen any M39 with this style of leather and without the civil guard mark I thought it could be M27? Any ideas to which model and its approximate value to justify the[ cost will be appreciated.
scribs87

Re: Finnish sling ID.

Post by scribs87 »

Looks like the sling on my m27. Mines not original to my rifle but iv done alot of digging online and came up with that style sling. theres slings on 7.62x54r.net. Might show the m39 slings as it showed m27's.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have seen that type of sling on many different types of rifle both in old pictures, reference materials, and on collectors rifles. To say that it is on one type of Finn rifle kind of tickles me to be honest about it! I just don't quite think we can be that sure it wasn't on multiple different models of Finnish rifles. If it were a grey green leather it might have been on an M39 but some of those were so worn they lost the color years ago along with their original coating of maybe zinc on the steel belt buckles. Then I have seen the same usable grey green leather with replacement brass belt buckles, sometimes oval and sometimes like that square one you have there. I would say the fact is by what we see the Finn's used whatever they could get their hands on with many being pieced together out of parts of others. I got an M27 earlier this year with an obvious old K98 leather sling sowed together for the use on that rifle. Look at the apparent tractor belt slings they made and used! So my final thought is if it came on that rifle leave it there and give the rifle the benefit of the doubt. It came to you wearing that and maybe that is the way it fought too. So many people freak me out with their changing things to the proposed proper accoutrement, or finish or many other things. Leave them alone the way they came to you and enjoy them for what they are and may have indeed fought like. Bill :wink:
Pip6214

Post by Pip6214 »

Thanks Zeebill. I picked this up for $10.00 and it was with another M39 sling that I didn't buy. I slapped it on my M27 (has Ski trooper sling mounts). I was just curious since I've seen similar slings but with C.G. markings.