What symbol is this

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BubbaDX

What symbol is this

Post by BubbaDX »

I am going over a new-to-me main and I see this on the bayonet. Does it look like a Tula hammer and a number 1 or does it look like a cyrillic symbol?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
cj1964

Re: What symbol is this

Post by cj1964 »

Hmmm - I think it looks like a styled "F". I've seen "F" markings on Romanian rifles and type 1 bayonets, but usually only as part of a serial number and not in a styled font like that. How about some more info on the bayonet - type 1 or 2 and other markings...? I'll be curious if anyone else has a similar mark. It's new to me.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

It's a type 1 bayonet. It has a serial number on the other side and a few faded marks
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Here are the makings I have found. I think the rifle came from the Balkans but I am not sure the bayonet was.

cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Nice!!
It's a pre-1928 Ishevsk type 1 bayonet and I believe the "Z" indicates an Austrian capture mark. That probably is an "F" and perhaps Austrian as well, but maybe Balkan too. A really nice bayonet - congrats!
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Very cool! Ill post pictures of the rifle this belongs to very soon.
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Part of the required Austro-Hungarian uniform was a bayonet scabbard. If this was issued to a soldier, it is my understanding that it probably would have had an ersatz steel or leather scabbard. It might be good to try to find one. I think it would be an acceptable addition for that bayonet - as long as you don't represent it as original or matching. :2cents:
JayPoc

Post by JayPoc »

No, No, No.... :facepalm2: :facepalm1: :facepalm2: :facepalm1: :facepalm2:

the Z is for Zombies. I thought everyone knew that?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Is that a partial R in a circle I see on that one shot? Remington? Bill :?:
finloq

Post by finloq »

I think that it is simply a proof mark. The Izhevsk mark is clearly visible in the same picture.

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"