Got a SKS and have questions

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Remiel

Got a SKS and have questions

Post by Remiel »

So i bought myself an SKS for my birthday, its supposed to be Chinese, but there are no markings to support that, it is a #'s matching on all but the dust cover. but there leis the issue, based on my reading here the dust cover is Sino-Soviet but the rest are all Russian serials, the only other marks i see are the 8 in a diamond and the Cyrillic I in a triangle,there may be more but i have not taken it fully apart yet, any ideas?
martin08

Re: Got a SKS and have questions

Post by martin08 »

Your SKS is Russian manufactured. It came in with the recent batch of imports from Albania, which were mostly Chinese.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

martin08 wrote:Your SKS is Russian manufactured. It came in with the recent batch of imports from Albania, which were mostly Chinese.
Any way of telling if its a Tula or not?
and i got it for 425.00
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Yes, it is a Tula. This gun is marked with two Cyrillic prefixes, followed by four numbers. The Izhevsk guns will have only three digits following the prefixes.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

martin08 wrote:Yes, it is a Tula. This gun is marked with two Cyrillic prefixes, followed by four numbers. The Izhevsk guns will have only three digits following the prefixes.
Thank you for the info, got all the demon snot out of it and going to go test it today(i hope)
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

got to shoot it and boy was it fun, everything worked like a charm.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

You got a good one. They are really neat rifles. I learned a lot about how piston semi-auto's work from the SKS's.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Sounds a lot like mine, recently bought it from SOG as Chinese, but with Greasemonkeys help , It's Russian. Not sure about the Tula arsenal ,because of these marks on the barrel.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

rideandslidejim wrote:Sounds a lot like mine, recently bought it from SOG as Chinese, but with Greasemonkeys help , It's Russian
Well i went back to the Gun store i got it from and told them what it was, got to look at the second one that was on layaway and it was a 3 digit serial Russian, and if i remember right from the info i was given it was an Ishvesk, too bad it was on layaway and the wife would kill me if I came home with another. Now i just need a boat load of ammo for it!
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

Well after a summer of playing with it and having fun, I noticed that the barrel has a different# on it and the stock has to be a replacement, It developed a serious rocking issue where the action would move in the stock back and forth approx 1/16 of an inch, that was fixed with a little piece of brass sheet/shim i made and installed between the recoil lug and cross bolt, no more rocking. It likes the Barnual white box ammo, but the Tulammo is not so accurate, going to start reloading for it and maybe get a correct dust cover for it. I even went out and bought original stripper clips(BXN), I also let some else shoot it, and now I want another and the local store have a few type 56 still in cosmoline for about the same price.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The Yugo surplus ammo in stores now is supposed to be top notch, 40 rnd boxes on strippers. It is corrosive, probably AP, and the price is right.
Getcha some : :vcool: I've had 6 t-56's, 4 Russian made, all VG shooters.......two belonged to Victor Charles.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

steelbuttplate wrote:The Yugo surplus ammo in stores now is supposed to be top notch, 40 rnd boxes on strippers. It is corrosive, probably AP, and the price is right.
Getcha some : :vcool: I've had 6 t-56's, 4 Russian made, all VG shooters.......two belonged to Victor Charles.
If you mean Armor Piercing by AP then no it's not. The only steel core ammo in this country now is stuff that was already here and most of that was the chinese norinco stuff but it's illegal to import steel core 7.62x39 now. The M67 Yugo ammo is all brass cased, berdan corrosively primed, lead core, copper jacketed and is completely non magnetic. That's one reason it's still so popular even though it's about $100+ more than it was. It's some of the best 7.62x39 ammo you can get. Just make sure you clean thoroughly after shooting and there's no problems.