Dog collars

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
joe7170

Dog collars

Post by joe7170 »

Is there a proper side that the buckles goes on, or does it really matter?? I know, I'm getting super anal now, but just for the sake of curiosity. :lol: I know i like to put the screw heads on my M91 barrel bands on the right side, no other reason but I'm right handed. I just put the collars back on my M28, and figured I'd put the buckles on the left :bonk:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
Mosinhope

Re: Dog collars

Post by Mosinhope »

Not sure about this but I think the buckle goes on the right side ( bolt side ) of the rifle.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I really don't know but I bet every mosin owner has at least wondered about this question.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I never gave a rats ass so long as they weren't damaging the rifle or my hands, and if I knew I would have forgotten by the next time I had to put a sling on a new rifle. 99.9% of the people who will see that rifle on the range wouldn't know if they were right or wrong either so you should be OK :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

I'm sure once these rifles hit the field the typical conscript probably put it on however he/she wanted. If they got lucky enough to have a rifle let alone a sling. I'm in the same mindset as JYD, as long as it ain't hurting anything then it's good to go.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I agree too. I try to make sure that I embed the buckle inside the sling so I won't damage the stock. On the sewn end that can be a challenge sometimes.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I too, being right handed let everything stick out to that side. I figure most people are right handed too so I follow up with everything that way. I think I also do not use the way they have the grey slings on M39's per the excepted way. I just try to make them the comfortable way and then make them consistent. I think someone once pointed that out on a picture of my M39 safe once? I don't try and get too anal on stuff like that unless it becomes hard to work with a certain way. I know over the years that in most cases rifles I have gotten from importers direct seem to vary quite a bit so I really don't get too upset at stuff like that. Seems most of those rifles always had 2 distinctly different dog collars most times too so if they didn't care that much why should I get all in a tither? Bill :wink:
entropy

Post by entropy »

Doesn't matter, they'll slide all over around the dog's neck, so.......oh. never mind. :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

entropy wrote:Doesn't matter, they'll slide all over around the dog's neck, so.......oh. never mind. :wink:

Well spoken answer!!! About covers it all I guess! :lol: Bill
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Non of mine got buckles, just these little square metal thing the leather goes thru, and a pointy thing you stick in the hole....SBP :bonk:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"