scope mounts

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
56 kodiak shooter

scope mounts

Post by 56 kodiak shooter »

I would like to hear what others think about scope mounts that mount to rear sight, im not interested in one just wanted to hear what others thought about them,im leaving my mosin,s all original
thughes

Re: scope mounts

Post by thughes »

They don't work for shit.
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I tried one for my SKS ( nothing modified, it replaced the cover )... total junk/ I expect the Mosin ones are the same.
This things aren't built to tight tolerances. So aftermarket stuff probably doesn't fit right
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

zedteamk2 wrote:I tried one for my SKS ( nothing modified, it replaced the cover )... total junk/ I expect the Mosin ones are the same.
This things aren't built to tight tolerances. So aftermarket stuff probably doesn't fit right
I concur with the SKS stuff as it (the cover) moves around way too much

The Mosin scout scopes are a long eye relief type and I can not deal with them at all. Thank God I was lucky enough for someone else to buy and try the thing and I frankly did better with an open sight. Matter of fact I did so bad with the scope I tried the open iron standard sights to see if something was wrong with the ammo or rifle itself. Wrong I shot a good group with everything I was using previous to that except the scope. I think many of us tend to think Oh a scope I will be a sniper now and when it doesn't work blame the equipment. It takes quite a period of adjustment but after 100 plus rounds I made changes back and bingo I could hit things and was grouping great with the same equipment. That was enough for me and I saved myself some money too! Bill :D
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I bought a '39 Tula with no rear sight, so I had a mount and scope that I'd got in one of those package deals. After 4-5 trips to different places to shoot, its staying sighted in, 60-70 rounds, will shoot 3 inch groups on this rifle at 100. I shot at a basketball size rock at 400 using the wide part of the bottom crosshair like it was a PU picture, it hit 4 out of 5. Then did it again. I'm pretty Impressed for a cheap scope it couldn't do any better.
You have to switch two of the set screws from their holes, one is longer and goes in the middle hole.......SBP....62MN's
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Luthierseye

Post by Luthierseye »

My brother & I had the same bad issues with the cheap mounts and scopes in thinking "why put an expensive scope setup on a $140 rifle". Then on several occasions to our favorite range, we happened to question some other shooters, who had very nice modern setups, as to scope costs vs rifle costs. We were enlightened to find that the serious shooters frequently spend 2 to 4 times the rifle cost on scopes & mounts. So I installed a Brass Stacker Universal mount, which requires NO PERMANENT ALTERATION, and a Weaver Classic K 4x28 Long Eye Relief scope(built for heavy recoil) for a total cost of just over $300. It is like night & day. 1.5" groups of three at 100 yds with surplus ammo is common. We want to stretch out to 200 or maybe 300 yards to see how we do. Mine is mounted on a '33 Tula 9130 and my brothers rig is on a '39 Izhevsk 9130. The funny thing is that later, when I got my Swiss K31, I find that it shoots that good with iron sights(Mojo peep sight rear) again, no permanent alteration. But then the K31 is known for that, and the peep sight sure helps my 74 year old eyes in getting a good sight picture :wink: All that said, we still enjoy the challenge of shooting the Mosins with iron sights. And I have installed a MOJO peep rear sight (again, no permanent alteration) on two of the best shooters-the Finn M39 and a '35 Tula 9130. I save & tag the original sights in the event that I need to revert to original sights. I hope I haven't violated the forum rules with this post; it seemed OK as I have made no permanent mods on any of the rifles. Pics later if there is interest.