Import ban! Time to stock up!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Swandriver

Re: Import ban! Time to stock up!

Post by Swandriver »

WeldonHunter wrote:
Swandriver wrote:The ban proposal is not just for M855 but SS109 as well.

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/ ... rposes.pdf

[Some ammunition that was previously exempted as “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes,” specifically 5.56mm constituent projectiles of SS109 and M855 cartridges, will again be regulated as “armor piercing ammunition.” Except as provided by law, no person may manufacture or import such ammunition, and manufacturers or importers may not sell or deliver such ammunition."]
They are the same round. The SS109 is simply M855 without the green paint as an identifier. The F1 Australian round is the same thing.
Thanks, I understand that. My comment was for those that may not. But it was good of you to point that out. :thumbsup:
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

WeldonHunter wrote:
InOmaha wrote:The other thing they can do is stop making "pistols" out of rifles and adding braces to them to get around the SBR tax. Try to make SBRs legal if you want them instead of getting handgun ammo bans on rifle ammo.

Good luck with that. There's idiots out there that simply can't help themselves and will make pistols even when confronted about it. Kind of like the ones we see here that want to sand and cut up collectible firearms. During the 5.45x39 7N6 ban I saw an exchange on Calguns with one of these exact jackwagons that was one of the ones making AK74 pistols and said he frankly didn't give a shit and was going to do it with other firearms. There's some real gems floating around in society.
Personally I think they should allow SBRs without some tax. But what I think and what the law says are 2 different things. Once people try to skirt the laws by making semi-auto "pistols" out of rifles with "oh no, it's not a stock" braces these sort of things happen. I wouldn't own something with a short barrel unless it was in a pistol caliber anyway. How much more does a 16" barrel version M4 with collapsible stock weigh then one chopped off with a brace added? I'd definately stay away from short barreled in 7.62x39 or larger. Too much power to keep it on target.

So the N-PAP type pistols and the 5.56 pistols and SIG brace got 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 5.56 steel rifle ammo banned because it became pistol ammo. Just because some people wanted inaccurate rifles that overpenetrated as pistols.

I also think somone should be able to get a purchase permit, buy any gun, and have it shipped to you without an FFL. And if you have a concealed carry permit, someone being worried about you getting a gun mailed to your house is silly. You have a gun on you.

But, like grandma says, "If wishes were horses, we'd all go for a ride."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Just ordered another 2 cases @ $0.21/rd. from The Sportsman Guide. :Drool1:

Now that leaves me with 12 cases less 80 rds. that my son & have shot up. :bwink:

Last group @ 200 yards was w/in 1-1/2" group w/ surplus ammo. :redfaced:

Life is good... :thumbsup:
Longview

Post by Longview »

It has occurred to me that if the Administration wanted to hurt Russia, instead of some goofy back door gun control, they should stop import of Russian Vodka. That'd really get their attention!
~Longview
"You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy." - Eric Hoffer
gregsteb

Post by gregsteb »

Longview wrote:It has occurred to me that if the Administration wanted to hurt Russia, instead of some goofy back door gun control, they should stop import of Russian Vodka. That'd really get their attention!

You are right on the money. The ban is nothing more than a back door plan to ban imports and further their liberal gun control agenda. The Administration comes out looking all rosey, they took a hard stand on import bans, yeah right. Token bans with a hidden agenda.

The majority of these imports were coming from the Ukraine, not Russia. So actually the ban is at best a double edged sword that is hurting the Ukraines and Russia, at worst it's only hurting the region we're claiming to support.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The answer to all this panicky ridiculousness is printed plainly a number of times in Centerfire's latest sale letter "A Product of Bulgaria" or some other former combloc nation who is not above helping Mother Russia. For God's sake what did you folks think was going to happen when brainless our leader? made another pointless and stupid move? Like I have said in the past never listen to what he says but watch what he does and what happens after that. Bill :o :o
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

A top ten seller on GB has jacked up 91/30 prices, starting at $239 to $259.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

GB sellers can (and do) set their starting prices high. And, guess what? They don't sell either. Most of these guys have no clue how to sell there.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I was kind of wondering. When wasn't it time to stock up?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's always time to stock up.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

jimpierce7 wrote:I was kind of wondering. When wasn't it time to stock up?
Exactly!

For me!.............

We go from shortage to shortage to shortage. Most of these shortages are "fabricated". I wonder how many of these are fabricated by the "anti-gun" groups. Sitting back and laughing their butts off at us having to pay more and more and more. Don't buy into it. Buy what you need and when you can.

Example of just 22:
I have a dozen "bricks" left of .22 I bought a long time ago. When I could and when it was expensive (at the time) and plentiful. Most of it I payed under $20 a brick for. I never buy when there is a shortage of anything. Just what I need and when I can afford. I don't feed "panic buying". I haven't bought any for years now.

If I were buying it during "panic buying", that would be hoarding. Buying it when is is plentiful is investment (if you can afford it)...... D
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

AP pistol ammo has been banned in Florida for as long as I can remember. Just hope CAI doesn't begin making x54 pistols.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum