Debating Which Rifle To Get Next

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Magnetic_Flux

Debating Which Rifle To Get Next

Post by Magnetic_Flux »

Hi all, new member here and proud owner of a M91/30.

I have been looking at expanding my new collection of military surplus rifles, and have more or less narrowed it down to either a Yugo Mauser or a Swiss K31. I know how accurate the K31 is, and that the GP-11 ammo is close to match grade. It does seem like that is the cheapest ammo for the K31 available. However, I thought I read on here that the GP-11 ammo is no longer being produced, is that true?

With the Yugo, I know there are some outlets for ammo, a lot of which is corrosive; I'd prefer to stay away from that.

With the factor of availababilty of readily-inexpensive(less than $1/round), non-corrosive ammo as the main factor on which rifle I'd buy, which would you recommend? I do like the accuracy of the K31, so I'm probably slightly leaning that way, but I'm open to suggestions. The 8mm Mauser ammo seems to be somewhat scarce, and I have read not all advertised 8mm ammo will chamber.
I also like the fact that most K31s available are in excellent condition, I'd like this to be a rifle I can shoot for years.

Thanks for the input!
Pip6214

Re: Debating Which Rifle To Get Next

Post by Pip6214 »

Their have been some reported issues from the current batch of Romanian 8mm that doesn't want to chamber in some rifles. I personally cannot attest to this since I am still sitting on some of my Yugo & Egyptian surplus. I own both and I would lean towards the Swiss K31 and GP11 can be reloaded with the Berdan tool so that could be an option down the road. The GP11 is still produced today but not for import from Switzerland, they use it in several machine guns and probably still use it in the civilian shooting matches as well.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well not a tough choice. Get all of them. I unintentionaly have 3 yugos. A 24/47, m48 and a k98. You cant go wrong with the 24/47. Great conditions great bores and still cheap. M48s ae not bad and can be found in great condition also. The k98s are also available for a pretty good price, condition not as nice as the others but is a nice cheap k98. K31 is a super rifle. There is no question on buying them. Shoot great and condition is fantastic mostly. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:pointup: Nothing to add to that. This would be a tough choice. Tack driver=Swiss though... There's enough ammo out there. Matter of fact AIM is selling all kinds of Swiss rifles and has some GP11 right now. Very fair prices. S&G has plenty of GP11 http://sgammo.com/product/surplus/480-r ... ammunition
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

If you go with the K31, check out Cheaper than Dirt for GP11. I bought some a few months ago and it was the cheapest I could find it.
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

Anyone have a line on Berdan primers? Or any north Texas folks want to split a 5000 primer case? I'm ordering a K-31 as we speak, and I worry about the GP-11 drying up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

I'd go with the Swiss K31 while there seems to be some on sale right now, a year from now who knows. I'm thinking the Yugos might be easier to find later on.
Ammo for both rifles can be found at AIM surplus, just ordered several boxes of PPU 8mm soft point that once shot will make good casings for reloading.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

I have a K31 and a Yugo M48A. They are both good rifles but the K31 is more accurate and GP11 is easier to find than 8mm surplus. Of course if you reload, none of that matters. M48s are not hard to find but we are coming down to the last batches available of the K31s from the big surplus retailers. K31s will always be around but prices will climb once the surplus rifles dry up. Prices seem to be holding on Yugo Mausers and there always seem to be a few around at Samco or Wideners. You will definitely want to acquire both but I would start with the K31. I am looking to put a scope on mine, my eyes aren't much good past 100 yards but the rifle is happy to shoot out to 600 - 800 yards no problem with pretty good accuracy. The Swiss Products scope mounts are great, not that expensive and not permanent.

FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

Have you ever used the diopter type sights?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ace3245

Post by Ace3245 »

I would go for the K31. I have both but I like the K31 better.