I'm Jones'n for a Beretta M9

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
A J

I'm Jones'n for a Beretta M9

Post by A J »

I retired from the Army in 2013. I really miss shooting the Beretta M9. It's the gun everyone loved to hate but for some reason, I always shot well with it and can't ever remember getting a jam. Lots of guys hated the M9. Why? Because it wasn't a Glock 19 or a M1911. I never really got into either of those guns as the Beretta is what the Army issued me and I really didn't have much of a choice. Over the years I grew fond of the Beretta, developed a muscle memory for this fine weapon and became more proficient than most. I carried it for almost 30 years and just about 24/7 when I served in Iraq and am thinking about getting one.

I want the closest model to the Army issue one as possible. They run about $500. Since I always sell other toys to finance new purchases, I'm in the process of selling some other stuff. I'm already up to about $300. :) It shouldn't be too much longer.

Do you have any advice to offer concerning the civilian M9s? Thanks.
BuckeyeSgt

Re: I'm Jones'n for a Beretta M9

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I got the 92fs at a gun show for $499 new. I carried one as well and never had a problem with it. But that was when we weren't shooting or getting shot at. The only thing I did was to replace the plastic guide rod with a steel one. Found a new green holster like I had on Amazon.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have and carry sometimes a 92FS.. We have an commercial M9 at the shop, except for the stamps I see no difference in the two. If you want a nice Beretta in the 92S configuration Southern Ohio Gun still has the Italian police turn ins for under $300.00.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

of the four pistols I have been looking at, the Beretta M9 is the only one that anything bad was said about. You may have a better view as your experience with the weapon is longer than my source is old. lol I was told the tolerances are very tight and the slightest dust makes it jam? That doesn't really sound to me like something the Army would use?
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

The one I carried never had a single jam. The one I have now hated PMC ammo. No malfunctions with Winchester though. The Glock gets the rest of the PMC ammo.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am a 1911 guy, but when I shoot for bragging rights, I shoot the 92FS. It is a great piece of firearm engineering. I have been considering buying another from SOG. They are getting in some "new" condition 92-S (I think) pistols. From what I can determine, they differ from the 92 FS by not having the ambidextrous safety, and they put the mag release in the wrong place. :wink:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
A J

Post by A J »

jimpierce7 wrote:of the four pistols I have been looking at, the Beretta M9 is the only one that anything bad was said about. You may have a better view as your experience with the weapon is longer than my source is old. lol I was told the tolerances are very tight and the slightest dust makes it jam? That doesn't really sound to me like something the Army would use?
No, not true. Like any pistol, the Beretta can, and will jam. As long as you give it the minimal cleaning, it's going to work just fine. Mine performed flawlessly in all sorts of weather and in the face of all sorts of operator neglect! :) My M9 seemed to shrug off desert dust.
A J

Post by A J »

SA1911a1 wrote:I am a 1911 guy, but when I shoot for bragging rights, I shoot the 92FS. It is a great piece of firearm engineering. I have been considering buying another from SOG. They are getting in some "new" condition 92-S (I think) pistols. From what I can determine, they differ from the 92 FS by not having the ambidextrous safety, and they put the mag release in the wrong place. :wink:
I checked the used ones out recently. They're pretty different from the M9. The safety switch is on the frame instead of the upper receiver. Like you said, there's some other differences. Nice pistols. They're just not what I'm used to.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A J wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote:I am a 1911 guy, but when I shoot for bragging rights, I shoot the 92FS. It is a great piece of firearm engineering. I have been considering buying another from SOG. They are getting in some "new" condition 92-S (I think) pistols. From what I can determine, they differ from the 92 FS by not having the ambidextrous safety, and they put the mag release in the wrong place. :wink:
I checked the used ones out recently. They're pretty different from the M9. The safety switch is on the frame instead of the upper receiver. Like you said, there's some other differences. Nice pistols. They're just not what I'm used to.
Don't settle on one based on price... Get the one you want.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I only shot two types of handguns in my Air Force career. We started with the S&W Model 15, Combat Masterpiece (70's and 80's) and switched over to the Beretta M9 in the early 90's. The .38 was so easy to shoot and accurate, I swore we would have trouble with infrequent shooters when we switched to a semi-auto. We didn't. People easily converted the pistol and it is a great handgun. I think the military will have a tough time finding a replacement handgun and a round different from the 9mm NATO (9x19). I personally think there are better handguns on the market, but the Air Force will never choose a Glock, Walther P99, or S&W M&P without an external, ambidextrous safety.
A J

Post by A J »

Rongo wrote:
A J wrote:
Don't settle on one based on price... Get the one you want.
I won't get something "close" to the M9. When I make the move, I'm getting the real deal.
A J

Post by A J »

tjtM38 wrote:I only shot two types of handguns in my Air Force career. We started with the S&W Model 15, Combat Masterpiece (70's and 80's) and switched over to the Beretta M9 in the early 90's. The .38 was so easy to shoot and accurate, I swore we would have trouble with infrequent shooters when we switched to a semi-auto. We didn't. People easily converted the pistol and it is a great handgun. I think the military will have a tough time finding a replacement handgun and a round different from the 9mm NATO (9x19). I personally think there are better handguns on the market, but the Air Force will never choose a Glock, Walther P99, or S&W M&P without an external, ambidextrous safety.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the Army's going to buy next. There are plenty of really nice handguns out there that would work. I agree with you that the Army will NEVER go with a pistol that does not have a safety AND a decocker. Glocks are out of the question. Actually, the most popular handgun I saw amongst people who had a choice downrange in Iraq (Dept. Of State, SOF, Iraqi Generals, Contractors, etc) was the Glock 19. All the "cool kids" carried a Glock. They're great pistols but I'm used to the Beretta. I could see the Army jumping on the Beretta PX4 or the Ruger SR9. The SR9 actually includes two additional safety features that the Beretta does not: a loaded chamber indicator and the weapon will not fire without a round in the magazine. Plus, the SR9 offers a slimmer fit for smaller soldiers and 2 additional rounds in the magazine, a rail and adjustable back straps; plus it's cheaper. No matter what the Army eventually goes with, I am certain that soldiers will bitch about it. "I can't hit the target! Must be this stupid pistol!" :)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

My father picked up a M96 a few weeks ago. Iy is pretty nice. I have had a Taurus PT99 for years now, and have never had any issues with it. It just goes and goes. I also prefer the old style frame mounted safety of the Taurus. (it is like a 1991 model). The decocker of the m96 is a nice feature though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
A J

Post by A J »

^^^^

Great looking firearms. Actually, I like the looks of the stainless steel more than I thought I would. Very nice.
target

Post by target »

I've got my 92A1 posted up here in another thread. I fell in love with that pistol very quick. Smooth shooter that fits my large hands very well.

From what I have been reading the bad rap the M9 gets from US service men and women is partly from guns that are way past their service life and just worn out. A new Beretta is a wonderful work of engineering and I think John Browning himself would have appreciated the gun as it is now.
A J

Post by A J »

target wrote:I've got my 92A1 posted up here in another thread. I fell in love with that pistol very quick. Smooth shooter that fits my large hands very well.

From what I have been reading the bad rap the M9 gets from US service men and women is partly from guns that are way past their service life and just worn out. A new Beretta is a wonderful work of engineering and I think John Browning himself would have appreciated the gun as it is now.
Any Army-issue sidearm is going to be handled roughly by soldiers. Some of the M9s I've used at ranges and such were really beat to hell with very little blueing and shaky tolerances. They still fired every time and were still more accurate than most of the shooters (including me).

An old NCO of mine relayed a story about how his M9 slipped out of his holster while riding in a doorless Humvee in Iraq. The weapon hung from the "dummy cord" for many miles dragging and bouncing alongside the Humvee. By the time the NCO figured out what had happened, the thing was rubbed to a shiny silver sheen. When he tried to turn it in at the completion of his tour, the armorer couldn't believe what he was seeing. The NCO replied: "hey, it's been through a war, what do you expect?" It still fired flawlessly.

I just sold an old cymbal I wasn't using, so my "toy account" is up to about $360. I figure I need about $525 to get an M9 with FFL fee.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

525 would be on the bottom of prices. GunBroker has NIB 92FS starting around 499. M9s are usually not NIB.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Just for some price info, the stainless m96 pictured above was $530 otd at a gunshow. It is a 2007 model, and came in the box with the factory case, two mags, and all the papers. It looks like someone shot it about 20 times.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
A J

Post by A J »

jones0430 wrote:525 would be on the bottom of prices. GunBroker has NIB 92FS starting around 499. M9s are usually not NIB.
Go to gunwatcher.com. You just type in what you're looking for and it shows you the best deals. Saved me about 40-50 bucks on my last Ruger LCR purchase. And it's free!!!!!!

The cheapest NIB Beretta M9 is $499. plus FFL fee.
A J

Post by A J »

I just made the plunge. I found a deal at Bud's Guns: brand new Beretta 92FS Police Special with 3 x 15 round mags. $427 + $5 insurance + $25 FFL = $457. The police special is basically a 92FS that may or may not have a police badge stamped on it. The 92FS is nearly identical to the M9. Can't wait for it to arrive.

My wife has a Beretta subcompact PX4. She just ordered 2 x full-size 17 round mags with extended grips. The illness is spreading! Oh, the humanity! :shifty: