M24/47 Barrel Band Help

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Mosin-Marauder

M24/47 Barrel Band Help

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I was shooting my M24/47, today, and after 2 rounds the front barrel band slides forward and out of its retaining spring. I have to (gently) tap the band back on with a hammer and then nudge the spring upwards into the cutout on the band. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thank you for any help you can provide.
Mosin-Marauder

Re: M24/47 Barrel Band Help

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Bump, please help.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

My Czech 98/22 does the same thing. The fix is to hand fit the catch with small file. I am hesitant to file on these old girls, so I just live with it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

The catch, as in the circle on the band or the actual retaining spring?
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I think I understand now, it's the actual piece that pops into the band, if I'm thinking correctly. Any ideas about how to hand fit it? I can tap the barrel band up to where the catch is lined up with the hole, I just have to take a screwdriver and nudge it into the cutout in the band. But it still comes loose.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I think my issue is that the spring catch doesn't fully engage in the hole in the barrel band. I think a bit of judicious filing and fitting of the pin on the spring catch would fix my problem. That said, I don't care to start filing things, so I just tap the band back after every few shots.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Do you think putting a bit of outwards tension on the spring would secure bit any better?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Mosin-Marauder wrote:Do you think putting a bit of outwards tension on the spring would secure bit any better?
It couldn't hurt. Just don't overdo it and snap the spring.

C. S. Lewis