What do I have here

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Doc68

What do I have here

Post by Doc68 »

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone.

I need some help in determining what exact Mosin I have. I have been looking around the forum and think it's a Finish M28. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/doc68 ... t=3&page=1
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What do I have here

Post by millman »

That link doesn't work. Try once more. We should be able to help if we can see it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Doc68

Post by Doc68 »

How do I make it a hyperlink.
Pip6214

Post by Pip6214 »

SIG M28
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Fixed the link for you, looks like you got it right.

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/doc68 ... t=3&page=1
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Yep. Nice one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Doc68

Post by Doc68 »

Pip6214 wrote:SIG M28

Are these the normal run of the mill Mosin's? I was trying to identify it and thought it was an M28 from the markings and such. Just don't know too much about them. My buddy gave it to me since he now has a baby and his wife didn't want a gun in the house.
Doc68

Post by Doc68 »

Pip6214 wrote:SIG M28

He also gave me a cleaning kit I think. Came in a small metal round tube. I have been looking around and haven't been able to find another that looks like it.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Nice M28.

To post picture from photobucket, click the IMG box to the right of the picture and it will copy it. Then just paste it into the post you are making.

Kollaa kestää
Doc68

Post by Doc68 »

So are these more of a less common version? I have a 91/30 which I got for $99.00 from a guy awhile ago. Should I keep this in the original stock or should I have a gunsmith fix the stock/replace it?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Under NO circumstances mess with the M28. They are very desirable is original condition, like yours. Actually don't mess with any old Mosin, but especially not that Finn. M28.

C. S. Lewis
Doc68

Post by Doc68 »

millman wrote:Under NO circumstances mess with the M28. They are very desirable is original condition, like yours. Actually don't mess with any old Mosin, but especially not that Finn. M28.

Ok. Im in dark territory here with Mosin's. I'll heed the advice I get. What are the prices of the Finn M28 versus a more common one? I know pricing is determined by what someone will pay for it versus what I think it's worth. I guess what I'm asking is what would be a base price to not go under?

Thanks
Rich
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Best thing to do is look on Gunbroker, and see what they are bringing. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Note that if it is monkeyed with, price falls to about a quarter of what you find there.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BTW, I am glad you had sense to seek advice before messing with it. You wouldn't believe some of the basket cases people show up here with. You have a very nice rifle.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Let me save you the trouble. Your friend gave you a 400-500 dollar rifle. If you let anyone screw with any part of it, mess with the stock, or refinish anything then you can instantly cut the value in half or like Millman said maybe a quarter.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh, also I can't tell to well from the pictures but that looks like a US 1907 sling, unless it is a reproduction. If an original that might be worth a few bucks. Your friend entrusted you with quite a nice prize.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Just curious, what do you think is wrong with the stock?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Doc68

Post by Doc68 »

Longcolt44 wrote:Just curious, what do you think is wrong with the stock?
The stock on the right side of it has a few gouges taken out of it. You can't see it in the pics but they are there. That's what had me concerned.

Rich
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

No big deal, when you get to be around 80 years old you will have some dings and gouges out of you too.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

For an m28, it is in really good condition. The Finnish stock was likely replaced at some point when the rifle was refurbished.

If you remove the stock for cleaning, be careful and pay attention because there are usually shims under the action and mag. all these were added to improve accuracy.

Do not refinish or even over clean the rifle, collector like them in their original condition complete with battle scars.

There are a few m28's in the showcase, check them out for some good info.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2665
Kollaa kestää