Corrosive ammo,how to spot it ?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
RedDiamond1944

Corrosive ammo,how to spot it ?

Post by RedDiamond1944 »

I like my Mosin m9130 and wish to shoot, take care of, and preserve it for a long time. I am not really interested in all the extra precautions and cleaning with corrosive surplus ammo. How do I spot it ?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Corrosive ammo,how to spot it ?

Post by Rongo »

First of all.... :alien:

Regarding corrosive ammo.... Hmm. If you want to be sure I would stick with new manufacture like Prvi Partisan, Wolf, Remington & Winchester ammo that comes in a 20rnd box.

Cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo is not a huge deal, but it must be done immediately after shooting it.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
JIMPARKS

Post by JIMPARKS »

Corrosive residue is easily taken care of, especially in the 91/30. First brush/rag thru the bore saturated with windex/ammonia. Spray the bolt face and receiver with windex/amonia and blow it out with air. Then just clean like you would normally do. Ammonia on nitrates is like baking soda on acid.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I would say that in a semi auto rifle, especially a piston driven auto, that using corrosive ammo would be more trouble, but bolt action rifles are easy to clean so I would not avoid corrosive ammo, especially if you don't have a bank full of money to buy ammo. But if you do decide to avoid it then just know that all surplus ammo is corrosive. Remember it is the primers that are corrosive so it is just better to assume that it is all corrosive. Or handload your own.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

All surplus 7.62x54r is corrosive. Commercial such as the brands mentioned earlier, is advertised as non-corrosive. Personally, I clean the same way whether using new or surplus ammo. This ensures that my rifle(s) will not become a rust bucket. When I use ammo that I hand load, knowing the primers and propellants I purchase are non-corrosive, I might modify my cleaning routine and clean as if shooting any modern center fire hunting rifle.
john_the_plinker

Post by john_the_plinker »

JIMPARKS wrote:Corrosive residue is easily taken care of, especially in the 91/30. First brush/rag thru the bore saturated with windex/ammonia. Spray the bolt face and receiver with windex/amonia and blow it out with air. Then just clean like you would normally do. Ammonia on nitrates is like baking soda on acid.

Yes, it is easy, but it is NOT because of the ammonia. Potassium chloride is the left over salt from corrosive primers. This salt is about 900 times more soluble in water than ammonia. Properties of KCL, with handy chart of solubility. Also, the ammonia you buy at the store is than 10% ammonia, the rest is, you guessed it, water. One last thing, Windex/window cleaner is less than 5% ammonia solution, i.e. about 1/2 of 1% ammonia.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I just use G96 nitro solvent,seems to work pretty good.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If the box has Winchester, Remington, or Federal written on it then it's not corrosive, everything else is suspect. Reload it yourself and you can be sure it's non corrosive without paying the buck plus a round of the commercial manufactured hunting ammunition.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

john_the_plinker wrote:
JIMPARKS wrote:Corrosive residue is easily taken care of, especially in the 91/30. First brush/rag thru the bore saturated with windex/ammonia. Spray the bolt face and receiver with windex/amonia and blow it out with air. Then just clean like you would normally do. Ammonia on nitrates is like baking soda on acid.

Yes, it is easy, but it is NOT because of the ammonia. Potassium chloride is the left over salt from corrosive primers. This salt is about 900 times more soluble in water than ammonia. Properties of KCL, with handy chart of solubility. Also, the ammonia you buy at the store is than 10% ammonia, the rest is, you guessed it, water. One last thing, Windex/window cleaner is less than 5% ammonia solution, i.e. about 1/2 of 1% ammonia.
Ammonia is not a concern of mine when cleaning post shooting corrosive ammo. The key is to get a good rinse to remove aggressive deposits that can do harm. Steamy hot water down the bore does wonders; Then clean as you normally do.
What I like is we have a choice in the kinds of ammo we use. If you don't want to mess with corrosive ammo you don't have to.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Sonny wrote:I just use G96 nitro solvent,seems to work pretty good.
That's pretty potent stuff.

"Dang that entropy"
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

What's the preferred method for getting the hot water down the bore? I can't imagine boiling water is very good for the furniture, so do you get one of those long, skinny funnels to guide it in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yes a funnel is good our a tea pot that has a spout, or you can disassemble from the stock. I use a funnel with a hose and point the barrel downward and pour slowly down the breech end.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Teapot, take it out of the stock & good to go. I'll do the funnel/hose setup soon. Pretty easy & man does that hot water work crud loose.

"Dang that entropy"
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

I'm lazy, I guess. I just didn't want to have to take the thing completely apart for every post-range day cleaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RedDiamond1944

Post by RedDiamond1944 »

I myself enjoy reloading, more than cleaning. I think I'll go that rout. This whole boiling water down the bore , and ammonia malarkey is for the birds. I don't mind a cleaning patch and some #9 down the bore after a day at the range. Now it's off to slug the bore on the ol' girl and find out what the heck size projectiles to buy.
RedDiamond1944

Post by RedDiamond1944 »

Thank everybody for all the input ! I have collected a small pile of used PPU brass I have fired I will start reloading with that.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Red Diamond, that was one of Internationals better engines, I have one in my 1969 FWD, powerhouse, and nearly idiot proof.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I clean all my rifles the same way. After I shoot and get home. Doesn't matter if it is corrosive or not.

Clean like it is corrosive and right after and who cares if it is or isn't.

Dolk
RedDiamond1944

Post by RedDiamond1944 »

@junk yard dog
My grandfather was a member of the US Army 5th Infantry Red Diamond devision of the ETO. Landed in Normandy July 9 1944 and stayed through out the war and LUCKILY one of the very few who made it home. He was (from what my dad tells me) with Patton at the Battle of the Bulge.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You can make a copy of a funnel like this with some copper tubing and a drilled out cartridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!