Poor poor baby With UPDATE. New photos.

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Burrhead

Re: Poor poor baby

Post by Burrhead »

Bunky I'd sent it to Ruger and get the finish repaired the Security Six is a very nice gun and Ruger is the original manufacturer so give the gun a second life and send it in.
entropy

Post by entropy »

When I was working at Joe's in St. Paul, an old widow came in and wand to 'get rid' of her husbands old 'shop gun'. They'd owned a bakery, and he'd bought an S&W Model 11, (.38 S&W cal. ) probably from Joe, back in the day. He shot 6 rounds from it in the back alley (On Rice St. in St. Paul) to test fire it, then reloaded it and left it in a drawer. Over the years some bread dough had encrusted itself in the grips, and the steamy bakery air had stripped every spot of blue off it. The store didn't want it so I met her in the parking lot and gave her $25 for it. (She set the price.) I reblued it, and it took forever to get the dough out of those grips! Took it out and test fired it, and sold it for $75. I concluded that being shot by a .38S&W would merely piss off most people; it's a very anemic round.

BTW- I agree with everyone else. Send it into Ruger. You can't go wrong, and $110 just for a bluing is cheap, plus the restore, you can't beat that! :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

You rescued the old girl. She deserves to look pretty again. Do it, the price from the factory is a steal.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Since I have a special rifle in lay away needing funds I took some Birchwood-Casey Blue and Rust Remover and 0000 steel wool and at least it is in one shade of steel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

A Can of Dura Coat is @$25......any color you want. :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I talked to Ruger today and bad news, maybe. They will not reblue this Single Six because they no longer make that model and if they screw it up they can't fix it. What they will do is take this back and sell me a current model GP 100 at less than half price. I'm not a big revolver guy in the first place so I think I'll just keep this as is as a house gun.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Get it to me and I will get you a pro hot blue (black oxide) job for free. It will be gorgeous.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
finloq

Post by finloq »

millman wrote:Get it to me and I will get you a pro hot blue (black oxide) job for free. It will be gorgeous.
Ha!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421105559.121434.jpg

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Here is an example. This was a rusty $25 box of parts when I got it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

finloq wrote:
millman wrote:Get it to me and I will get you a pro hot blue (black oxide) job for free. It will be gorgeous.
Ha!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421105559.121434.jpg

Rustoleum is quite nice on lawn chairs.

C. S. Lewis
finloq

Post by finloq »

You are making me nervous with the handcuffs hanging off the water heater

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

finloq wrote:You are making me nervous with the handcuffs hanging off the water heater

:lol: That is actually a cistern pump. (I live in a very old house). You are welcome to visit anytime Finloq.

C. S. Lewis
finloq

Post by finloq »

millman wrote:
finloq wrote:You are making me nervous with the handcuffs hanging off the water heater

:lol: That is actually a cistern pump. (I live in a very old house). You are welcome to visit anytime Finloq.
When you say that, I hear: "Roaches check in, but they won't check out!"

finloq

Post by finloq »

Was the cistern pump trying to escape?

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Honestly, I don't know why those are there. They were trick handcuffs that the kids had. I would assume they put them there. The real set is upstairs.

C. S. Lewis
finloq

Post by finloq »

The cistern pump must have been doing his Houdini routine.

finloq

Post by finloq »

I'm banned aren't i?

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

finloq wrote:I'm banned aren't i?

Not by me. Except for that Yak avatar, I think you are Ok.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Yes, I know it is not a Yak.

C. S. Lewis
finloq

Post by finloq »

millman wrote:Yes, I know it is not a Yak.
You've spent too much time listening to some squirrelly moose.