.45-70 hunting ammo

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Sonny

.45-70 hunting ammo

Post by Sonny »

So I'm new to the bigbore world and would love some info on a good factory load for hunting.

So far I've tried..

Fusion 300gr
Winchester 375gr
Remington 405gr

The Winchester grouped the best with Remington a very close second.
But the 300gr Fusion felt the snappiest..is snappiest a word? lol

Game will/would include deer,elk(hopefully) moose and blackbear but keep in mind that there are grizz around here,we just can't hunt them anymore. :vsad:

Anyway is bigger(405gr) always better(300gr)?

Whatcha think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjtM38

Re: .45-70 hunting ammo

Post by tjtM38 »

What rifle are you using? I have a H&R SB2 in .45-70 and have shot the Hornady Leverevolution 300 grain flex tip bullet with great accuracy. I've hand loaded a 350 grain Speer soft point to lever gun pressures and had almost as good accuracy. I'm keeping the loads within lever gun specs, as I don't know whether the H&R can handle heavy loads meant for the Ruger #1. Unless you want to hunt something really big, I would go with the lighter bullet; 300 grain.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I have a Marlin 1895 and sad to say I do not reload. :redfaced:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

BassPro up here has some Hornady® LEVERevolution in 325gr,I might try that and see how it groups.

btw...I'm thinking of putting a low power scope on it,maybe a 2x-7x..
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Beautiful rifle! You gotta just see what ammo it likes. Agree with low power scope. Make sure you get one with plenty of eye relief.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

tjtM38 wrote: Agree with low power scope. Make sure you get one with plenty of eye relief.
Yes sir...I hate getting "scoped"..lol :thumbsup:
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

There are a lot of choices. Personally, I like the Remington 405 grain load, even though it's loaded to old black powder ballistics (~1330 fps). Much more velocity can be had out of the old girl if you so desire. But if I was hunting elk in areas with Grizzlies, I'd take the Remington load, or Buffalo Bore.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1& ... geNumber=1

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Genetically Swiss wrote:There are a lot of choices. Personally, I like the Remington 405 grain load, even though it's loaded to old black powder ballistics (~1330 fps). Much more velocity can be had out of the old girl if you so desire. But if I was hunting elk in areas with Grizzlies, I'd take the Remington load, or Buffalo Bore.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1& ... geNumber=1

GS
Yup...this is what I was thinking..405gr and keep your shots to 100 yards or less..

maybe 150 yards.....nah 100 yards at most.. :wink:
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

Agreed. 100-150 yards, beyond that with that load, your trajectory becomes mortar like.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

This was the first year Ohio allowed pistol caliber rifles for deer hunting and in their wisdom included 45/70 on the list of approved calibers. A friend shot a medium sized (150lb+/-) buck using a Marlin Guide Gun and the Hornady Leverlution ammo at a measured distance of a little over 200 Yds. Now he was using some type of range finding scope on the rifle but I don't know the make or model. Otherwise a +200 yd shot would not have been taken. The bullet went in the front shoulder area and out the opposite rear hip. Based on the comments from the few people I knew that hunted with 45/70 most projectiles are going to go all the way through any mammal you shoot, so shot placement is important. As usual. So if the 405 is grouping well and you are willing to stay <150 yds it will do it's part if you do yours.
Brake Weight

.45-70 hunting ammo

Post by Brake Weight »

If anyone's state allows these types of 'cowboy' rounds like Mississippi does, I would highly suggest looking into getting something in .35 Whelen. It's good for anything on the planet except maybe elephant.

But as for off the shelf ammo, I don't think the Hornady LeveRevolution can be beat. Hand loads are a different story.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I've been reading good things about the Hornady LeveRelution ammo and will have to try a box to see how they group.

They sure do have good muzzle velocity,2050 fps for a 325 gr slug compared to Remington 405 gr at 1390 fps. :thumbsup:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I cast and load my own 45-70, but it's for my Trapdoor Carbine and is using black powder, not smokeless.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That sure is a beautiful Marlin Sonny. I can't really see you going wrong with any of those loads as long as you can hit the vitals. There are so many scopes out there now that are nice. I won't even begin to mention names.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I'm thinking of a 2x-7x scope,maybe a Leupold VX-2 or a Nikon P-300,not sure yet.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Can't go wrong with a VX-2 2-7X. Try the LeveRelution, see how that shoots; the 375 WIn. sound like a good all-around round to use, unless the LeveRelution shoots better.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
JIMPARKS

Post by JIMPARKS »

1885 Browning 459 dia lead 405 gr from Oregon Trail, large rifle standard primers, 28 grains 5744 - pleasant to shoot, drops everything I manage to hit.