Something nice from Beretta

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
target

Something nice from Beretta

Post by target »

92A1 brand new. 9x19. The quality and feel of this gun is great. I can see why the Beretta guys love them so much. Buttery smooth action and points so good that I think Luger would be jealous.

Jbob

Re: Something nice from Beretta

Post by Jbob »

I was watching my son fire several of my pistols last weekend for his first time at using anything like these. When it came up to using my 9mm Sig Pro and then the Beretta I could tell a big difference. Those Beretta's push straight back and your right back on target each time once it's fired while my others come up several inches each time.
Your going to love it, that's my favorite when shooting IDPA events.
target

Post by target »

It definitely feels really nice in the hand that's for sure. I've got bigger hands so the gun fits perfectly. Comparing how it feels to my M&P9, it definitely fits me better and points better than the M&P9 but when it comes to shooting they feel pretty similar for me. Recoil impulse on both is sort of straight back for me so I enjoy them both in that aspect. Glocks are a bit of a different story for me. The Glocks I've shot feel snappy and tend to rise a bit more.

I think 9x19 is gonna get pretty scarce in my neck of the woods.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

If you like the Beretta 92 form, and are lookin for a more compact version for concealed carry in .380, then look for a Beretta 84. They have the same appearance and handling characteristics of the 92. I find it shoots very much like the 92. I have a 92FS as well.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
target

Post by target »

Well I have the M&P9 shield and I really like that gun a lot. I plan on getting a CPL in January or February. I've heard good things about the compact Beretta's and after handling this one I am sure everything I've heard is truthful.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

I've never handled the 92 compact. I do know that the 84 is no longer made and can be had for below the market price of the 92 compact. Your choice though.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
target

Post by target »

I probably won't buy a Beretta compact as this 92A1 full size is good enough for now. I might grab a fullsize 92 in the future though just for some variety.I've never been big on compacts and I only bought the shield because it's the gun I plan on getting my CPL with and I never heard anything bad about them. Again though, after handling this particular Beretta, I imagine the same quality that went into this gun has gone into the compacts as well.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Brand New? Very Nice.... I would love to get one of those used ones that are flooding the market right now. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have a Beretta 92FS and it is my favorite handgun. SOG still has those Italian police returns 92S for $279.00 that I think I need too.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
target

Post by target »

Yup. I am the first owner outside the store it was bought from. The used ones were on my list for a while but I could only ever find .40 cal police turn ins and I'm not big on the .40 so I never committed to one. These Italian made guns feel so smooth and tight that it makes a lot US guns look a tiny bit rough when compared.

I'm gonna stock up on ammo and mags for this gun and really stretch it's legs when I get a chance.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

I would love to try a compact type in the Beretta like these, never even knew they made a compact since I don't get out much.
I'm not a big guy so using the 92 as a cc is out of the question although it fits great when shooting IDPA events having it on the hip.
Might need to look into this compact gun, I've had my permit for a couple years now and still haven't found anything I really like yet.
Seems each time something catches my eye it's the cocked 2 stage trigger with no manual safety type that I don't like..... I know that's the new generation thing but not for this boy. Seeing the first one I thought to myself, why in the hell did our country allow something like this in ? Then looking around I found even the well known brands are built that way now...
I guess I'm getting to old but be danged if I want one stuck down my pants.
Maybe I should move toward JYD's beliefs and just go with the wheel guns. :D
A J

Post by A J »

Good timing for this thread.

My wife wanted a new carry gun: a 9mm semi-auto. I took her gun shopping and we tried out about 6 or 7 small carry guns. Much to my surprise, she fell in love with a Beretta PX4 Subcompact. I served in the Army for many years and carried an M9. I always liked the gun (unlike most other Army guys) and was accurate with it. My only complaint is that it was a little too large for 9mm and is too freaking expensive. Other than that, I was a fan. Never thought she'd like a Beretta. I was thinking she'd get the Ruger or S & W.

Hers should arrive in a few days. In the meantime, she's like a little kid before Christmas - which is pretty much the way she is anyhow! :)
A J

Post by A J »

Here's what I like about Beretta M9s (and your gun).

+ very accurate
+ wicked easy to take apart and maintain
+ super reliable
+ external hammer
+ safety / decock

I still don't own a Beretta, but am starting to get the itch.

By the way, check the Beretta website. There are some rebate offers going on right now.
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

Longcolt44 wrote:I have a Beretta 92FS and it is my favorite handgun. SOG still has those Italian police returns 92S for $279.00 that I think I need too.
$259 at Palmetto State Armory, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Nice looking pistol and I'm glad you are happy with it. Not surprised your son likes to shoot the 92 as they always struck me as heavy for caliber. When I went through armorers school the 92 was what we trained on as the the 1911A1 was pretty much relegated to reserve units. Pay close attention to recommended lube diagrams. At least on the early versions we had too much lube or too little caused jambs. When the police trade in 40 became available I picked one up and like how it handles.
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

Ok, so what do you think I give up if I pay under $300 forone of these police issue 92s pistols versus paying over $500for a 92fs? The magazines aren't that hard to find, are they?are these likely to be reliable, good shooters? Not terribly concerned about appearance.

Thoughts?

target

Post by target »

If I wasn't in the middle of another purchase I would probably grab one or two of those.
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

I think maybe I'll go to a range, rent the 92FS, and just verify that I like the ergonomics before starting to work on my wife for a gift for myself without an occasion! Especially when I'm already angling for the basics of a reloading setup...

Anyway, if anyone has one of these, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

entropy

Post by entropy »

The 92 is a nice pistol, I just think it shouldn't have replaced the 1911 as standard issue. You'll note that most of the SF community stuck with the 1911, with the Marines first ordering Kimbers, then having Colt build one to spec for them, the M45. ( They look amazingly like my Taurus PT1911AR, BTW. 8-) )

I agree with AJ on the pluses, except the last one, I do not like the Walther-style safety/ decocker. I will also add that the one thing I noticed with the M9 vs. the 1911 (or the M10 .38 Spl. revolvers, for that matter) is that everybody's scores went up when we qualified, myself included. I still cried the day I had to turn my 1911's and revolvers in for M9s. :cry:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
A J

Post by A J »

entropy wrote:The 92 is a nice pistol, I just think it shouldn't have replaced the 1911 as standard issue. You'll note that most of the SF community stuck with the 1911, with the Marines first ordering Kimbers, then having Colt build one to spec for them, the M45. ( They look amazingly like my Taurus PT1911AR, BTW. 8-) )

I agree with AJ on the pluses, except the last one, I do not like the Walther-style safety/ decocker. I will also add that the one thing I noticed with the M9 vs. the 1911 (or the M10 .38 Spl. revolvers, for that matter) is that everybody's scores went up when we qualified, myself included. I still cried the day I had to turn my 1911's and revolvers in for M9s. :cry:
I wasn't in the Army long enough to really develop a love for the 1911. I think I only had it for a couple field exercises when they gave me the M9. I spent decades in the Army and just about everyone complained about it. I actually liked the M9, but I was in the minority. In my hands, that thing couldn't miss! Well... sometimes I may exaggerate a bit. :D

In Iraq, I carried and M9 and an M4. Both were great weapons. That's what I was issued and didn't have a choice. All the guys who had a choice carried Glock 19s instead of M9s.