new 91/30 owner looking forr some info..

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ElCid79

new 91/30 owner looking forr some info..

Post by ElCid79 »

Hello everyone, new to the forum. I was gifted a beautiful 91/30. I have never owned a Russian Rifle before so this has me a bit outside of my depth.

It is a 1944r model 91/30 with the Izhevsk Hammer and Sickle inside of a laurel wreath markings. The reciever, magazine well, and bolt are all stamped rk1964. And the scope has it etched in the mount by hand.

It was imported by PW Arms in Redmond WA.

There is a 7 digit number on the left side of the forward most part of the receiver that appears to possibly be either underlined or marked through.

What can you tell me about it? How do you tell if it is an original sniper model, or one that was pieced together?

Thanks in advance!
zeebill

Re: new 91/30 owner looking forr some info..

Post by zeebill »

Pictures would be appreciated greatly but from what you have said I am g8uessing it is one of many P&W Arms snipers that have been deemed real by the masses. The number that is lined through would be the old scope number that the refurbished one on the rifle replaced. That is a refurbished rifle and the numbers will more than likely match as they took care of that when it was refurbished. They seem to be good shooters and you will find much more information on them in the sniper section of this board. Congrats! Bill :D
gurn

Post by gurn »

Nice, a PU sniper as your first Mosin. :thumbsup:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
ElCid79

Post by ElCid79 »

I will post some photos later today when I get home. Also, there are two numbers carved by hand into the scope mount.

One matches the stamped serial numbers on the rifle. The second number matches what is on the scope.

The windage and elevation knobs have two screws in them with rounded heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Pictures and more pictures. Take a bunch and upload them here or through a web site like photobucket.com and post them.

Members here love to see photos and will be able to tell you a lot by what they see.

It sound like you have a PU sniper but there are many fakes out there, hopefully you got a real one.
Kollaa kestää
ElCid79

Post by ElCid79 »

I posted a long reply not sure if it went through. I am still on probation here, so it wont post my stuff right away.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Who is the importer? Their mark gives a good clue to bit eing a real sniper.

If you reply to a post and take a while to type it out and someone else makes a posts, when you click submit it wont go through until you click submit again, this gives you a chance to review the post that was just made by the other person.
Kollaa kestää
ElCid79

Post by ElCid79 »

Couldn't get this post to work.. Reposted below. Thanks for the 640x480 tip... One file was corrupted during compression.
Last edited by ElCid79 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Be sure the photos are sized no bigger than 640X800.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ElCid79

Post by ElCid79 »

Ask and you shall receive, I tried to take as detailed photos as possible. I will try to describe the markings as well. Thanks again for the help! :ani-pop:

The box that it came in

General Condition full.

General condition Right rear.

Top of , barrel, reciever and bolt. Markings from left to right. on Barrel Hammer and Sickle inside of a laurel wreath. 1944r. RK1694 ... Chevron with an arrow inside of it. On receiver a tiny number 9, just to the right of the chevron.

PW ARMS REDMOND WA
SERIAL NUMBER
rk1694

An X just in front of the bolt.
ElCid79

Post by ElCid79 »

Bolt with RK1694 engraved. Various markings on wooden stock. and easily read markings on front of receiver.

some sort of "Swoosh" on top of bolt. as well as a C on left side of receiver. There is also what appears to be a hidden = inside of a circle on front of bolt. As well as an V further up on the bolt.

Aft part of hammer markings
ElCid79

Post by ElCid79 »

Right side of receiver. Same symbol as hidden on bolt.

Left side

Markings on rear sight.

Magazine hinge markings

Magazine release markings. RK1694

Stock markings

Left side aft barrel markings.

C C on receiver, swoosh on bolt. X on receiver
Little U on side of receiver and various other markings

Down barrel

Optic General notice obscene amounts of cosmoline. It is in surprisingly good shape, with I only noticed one scratch. It is absolutely covered in cosmoline. Optics are surprisingly clear.

rifle serial number and optic serial number carved into mount.

Top of optic

Screw profile

Various easy to see markings
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

These are the recent imports, these are real snipers. :thumbsup:

Check out the sniper section and you'll see a few of us recently got some of these and we are all happy with them.
Kollaa kestää
ElCid79

Post by ElCid79 »

So I take it that's a good thing? I can't wait to read up on them. Thanks for the help! Care to share any of the cliffs notes, on pro's / cons. dos and don'ts etc.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome Cid. You might want to look through here. viewforum.php?f=36 If you go here http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/ and look down the page to the sniper section there's a few other pages for snipers too. This http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/ref ... index.html is also good reading to explain the reburb program they put Mosin Nagants through though it tends to be a bit different for PU snipers in that they did tend to try and keep as much of the original parts with them for accuracy purposes. Then there's this for initial cleaning and after shooting corrosively primed ammo. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=6932
ElCid79

Post by ElCid79 »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Lee, do you happen to have a link for that discussion? I can't seem to find it. Thanks for the general info pages, I am going to enjoy reading up on them.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

ElCid79 wrote:Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Lee, do you happen to have a link for that discussion? I can't seem to find it. Thanks for the general info pages, I am going to enjoy reading up on them.

There's a lot to cover but it may answer some basic questions you may have and they're a real good reference if you need to know something quickly. The Sniper Forum Lee was referring to is here viewforum.php?f=36 You can find it and other forums but looking at the top of any page here and clicking "Board Index" index.php under the picture of the Mosin Nagant at the top left side of the page.
ElCid79

Post by ElCid79 »

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

We also have these. The how too section viewforum.php?f=66 The Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Russian- ... 1872797489 and the Mosin Nagant Wiki complied by users from the forum. http://mosinwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

ElCid, welcome to the forum. You got yourself a very nice gift. There are many types of the Mosin Nagant that can be had for very reasonable prices if collecting more or acquiring a few shootable WWII rifles interests you. These sniper rifles and especially some of the accessories come covered in grease, or what many folks call cosmoline. Fortunately they did this because these have been stored for decades often times and without any rust or corrosion. It is easily removable without damaging the original finish and before firing it you will need to get it cleaned both outside and inside, especially the bore and chamber area, including a thorough take down, cleaning, and reassembly of the bolt and firing pin inspection. I about guarantee you that anything you want to know will be in those links provided by weldonhunter, and you'll find lots of good Mosin company here.