HN Rifles

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Pacomdiver

HN Rifles

Post by Pacomdiver »

heres pics of my 2 HN rifles, a 1937 and 1938 tulas
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: HN rifles

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, nice Tula's, my first Soviet refurb 91/30 some years back was a 1938 Tula. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Pacomdiver

Re: HN Rifles

Post by Pacomdiver »

why did this get taken out of the showcase? aren't they rare enough? 2 of the 11 known ones
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Who took them out of the showcase? Were they already in the showcase? There is a procedure to go through to submit a rifle to the showcase to see if it can be put there. First it requires a write up and description of the rifle with complete and clear pictures to show the rifle's features in a way that would be best to show it well.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Pacomdiver... I sent you a PM regarding those posts.
bunkysdad wrote:Who took them out of the showcase? Were they already in the showcase? There is a procedure to go through to submit a rifle to the showcase to see if it can be put there. First it requires a write up and description of the rifle with complete and clear pictures to show the rifle's features in a way that would be best to show it well.
I did. I went over the process in the PM on how we proceed with Showcase Submissions & I'm looking forward to seeing more on these. Especially the Instructie... I'm a sucker for those. :biggrin:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Pacomdiver wrote:why did this get taken out of the showcase? aren't they rare enough? 2 of the 11 known ones
A complete history and loads of pictures will get you a good start.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Mosin Showcase Rules & Posting Procedure

[hr]
PLEASE READ FIRST!

The Mosin Nagant Showcase is a section of the forum dedicated to displaying nice, uncommon, rare, unique, interesting & obscure variants of the Mosin Nagant in a Presentation Format. As it grows this will provide a great venue for everyone to see all the models of the Mosin Nagant Rifle in one location.

Remember, Mosins posted here DO NOT have to be rare... But they do need to be more than the common everyday refurb as well. Please see the guide below for more details.
:vcool:

Rules of the Showcase Forum

1. Presentation Content ... Please make your Post informative & with good-quality pictures. The posting should tell us about the rifle itself, it's historical facts, provenance & other known & verifiable details to the best of your knowledge.

2. If you feel your Mosin Nagant should be posted here… Then Post a new thread of your rifle in the Regular "Collectable Mosin Nagant Forum" section first to give members the opportunity to comment on the rifle. In that thread, please mention consideration for the "Showcase" in your post. Members will then have the opportunity to post and give their input... Then go ahead & put a copy of your thread here.

3. MOSIN NAGANT REQUIREMENTS... You may be asking what should be posted here? Examples would be; Any Mosin Nagant with nice, unusual or uncommon features, prefix matching #'s, "Nice" Ex-Snipers, unissued or lightly issued models, DDR marked, Double &Triple date MO's, Finn variants, [SA] Finn capture, Odd Arsenal repairs, Weird variations, Unknowns, Marbled or striped stocks, Vet Bringbacks with (or without) documentation, Old Warhorses, Rare production models and low matching serial # models.
Remember; These are just examples & it doesn't have to be "RARE" to post here... Mosin Nagant's that really do not qualify would be very common, rough Refurbished Mosins that one can acquire almost anywhere or a definitely altered/bubba gun. It has to have that little something to make it special, different & not run of the mill common.

4. As we all know, Regular thread's in the Forum will disappear in the pages over time... but when something is posted here it will endure as a reference for everyone to re-read & enjoy. Participation is appreciated & we hope this grows into a great reference tool for Collectors & Enthusiasts. The majority of the members here all have an uncommon or rare example in their collection & this is a great venue to show it.

5. The Showcase as a quality Reference This is really the goal... To see nice representatives of ALL the Arsenals, Models, Years & variations. The Mosins DO NOT need to be very rare or hard to come by... Just good, interesting & unique in some sort of way that sets it apart just a bit from the ho-hum, run of the mill refurb.

6. Most importantly; Have fun & enjoy!

[hr]

Procedures for submitting your firearm in the Showcase:

1) Post your Presentation in the Regular "Collectable Mosin Nagant Forum" section for member viewing & discussion... Then post a copy to the Showcase for Administrator approval. Remember to PM an Administrator that there is a Post "pending" in the Showcase.

2) Review your post THOROUGHLY before you Submit to verify it is as you intend. Administrators may edit or suggest changes before final approval of the Showcase submission.

3) When you are finished press the "Submit" button.

4) You will see a message saying your post will first have to be approved by an Administrator. We also ask that you PM an Administrator to notify us of your Submission.
Once your post is Reviewed AND Approved... your firearm post will become visible to all members.

[hr]

[hr]
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

what is the significance of HN mosins? i cant find anything about it
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

They were selected to be sniper rifles is the accepted theory. Same as the CN marked rifles. Someone will correct me if I'm slightly off in the description.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

MarksmanTim wrote:They were selected to be sniper rifles is the accepted theory. Same as the CN marked rifles. Someone will correct me if I'm slightly off in the description.
I believe that is a "theory". No one really knows, but they are around and you can find them every so often for sale. They used to be hard to find, but with the last batches of Mosins out of Russia, they had quite a few of them.

They are not drilled or even an ex-sniper rifle. Just different markings is all.

Dolk
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Glad someone else took the blow of being unknowledgeable of an HN rifle as I too had never heard of them. Markings on refurbs while fascinating and endless in variety are nothing like rare to me but that is just my single opinion and I am quite sure many others disagree with it. I have seen so many different letter and number combinations on refurbs over the years that I am firmly convinced anything is possible on them. As far as being rare I am sure many of these combinations are rare but what they really mean is impossible to tell or firmly connect to written history that is acceptable as real to many collectors who know far more than me or a lot of others here and other countries too.

If it came down to a vote on the HN rifles I am afraid I would not be voting for them to be in the showcase as I find them to be among the many unknown markings we associate freely with many Mosins. History to me has to be accepted by the majority of the world and that rarely happens these days as we all seem to have different takes on things. Bill