Greeek surplus 303

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
TheMaineEvent

Greeek surplus 303

Post by TheMaineEvent »

Let me start by saying that I'm not a fan of CTD. I remember what they did during the "scare", but I'm also not one to pay more for something if it is a great deal since I'm only hurting myself.

That being said, CTD has had some 174gr Greek surplus 303 ammo for what I'd call a great price (190). Surplus 303 isn't easy to come by at any price let alone a good one so I decided to put my feelings on them aside and buy some.

It showed up today and I thought I'd share with you some pics of the quality.

All 480 rounds were packed in white boxes;

How they are packaged;

How the rounds look;

Overall, I'm happy with the quality of the rounds. Based on my initial look I didn't see any that were unfireable, but I'll give all the boxes a better inspection over the weekend.
Including shipping, each round comes so 48 cents. Not bad.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Greeek surplus 303

Post by Longcolt44 »

For what it is I don't think you paid too much. Greek .303 is some of the best shooting ammo you can buy.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

Thanks! I think I'm going to enjoy it and it sure beats paying upwards of 70 cents/rounds for PPU. Yeah, I know, I need to get into reloading, lol.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I shot a lot of that stuff years back, good ammo.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I shot a lot of that stuff years back, good ammo.
Yep. Just like their HXP. Good quality.

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

finloq wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I shot a lot of that stuff years back, good ammo.
Yep. Just like their HXP. Good quality.

Which brings the question, what is the head stamp on this Greek ammo?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A little spendy but still about as cheap as your going to find. Not bad... :biggrin:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Yeah a lot of people are pissed at CTD. They really didn't do much more than what a lot of other places did. I look at ammo prices all day every day and they weren't the worst as far as raising prices go. They were pretty bad though. I don't care for them because my own personal experiences with them but I won't beat that dead horse. They listed this stuff in late Oct. and this is the first I've seen of any that someone bought. Looks like decent stuff. They listed this deal as well as one just like it that was 500rds loose and they actually one with stripper clips. That one sold out fast and the 500rd deal went next. Here's the listings for those that wanted see more of the info. they had on them.

http://gun-deals.com/deals/25552-greek- ... 7z-spitzer

http://gun-deals.com/deals/25551-greek- ... -strippers

http://gun-deals.com/deals/25550-greek- ... 7z-spitzer
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Feel the same about CTD. Haven't bought from them since 2010, but had to have some of this ammo.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get some brass, components, a Lee Loader ( size of deck of cards) and start reloading. .303 is an excellent rifle to reload for, you know the remaining surplus will soon run out. What is a Greeek by the way? :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
81turbota

Post by 81turbota »

I am very satisfied with the Greek 303 I got from CTD. I have fired about 150 rounds of it so far- reliable and accurate ammo.
1898 Tula M91 - SA
1929 Tula 91/30 - MO/53
1931 Tula 91/30
1934 Tikka M27
1940 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M38
1944 VKT M39
1944 Izhevsk 91/30 PU sniper
1968 No maker M39

1941 Podolsk SVT40 - SA
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I have to admit, I too am satisfied with the package I got from CTD. The price was right, the packing was good, the shipping was fast, and the ammo looks great. I inspected every round; 10 boxes of 48 rounds each. Mine is a mix of HXP 76, 73, and 69. I only found one slightly corroded round in the HXP 69 batch and the rest was clean. Most of mine is HXP 76 head stamp. Should I get some more? I'm actually thinking about it, as I have not seen this stuff since the'90's. It is boxer primed and reloadable, although I think you will need a primer pocket reamer to clear the slight crimp. I have heard this ammo is non-corrosive, but, like all surplus ammo, I will not change my cleaning routine.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

If you like it and have the cash, you really couldn't go wrong by getting more of it. I wish I had a stash of it.
Pip6214

Post by Pip6214 »

As stated by all the previous post, CTD isn't on top of my list of favored buyers. I laughed myself out of their retail store during my one and only visit while I was up in the DFW area during the "panic". I hate to admit that it was a good deal including the shipping and taxes but couldnt pass it up. I burned through 30-40 rounds before my shoulder gave out and it ran clean with no hiccups.
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

Seeing as CTD still has the surplus 303 in stock I ordered another can today. Figure that I'd regret not buying more in the years to come.
MnMosin

Post by MnMosin »

I too ordered some of this. It should be delivered Monday. I thought corrosive ammo had to do with the primer? This is supposed to be boxer primed, did they make corrosive boxer primers? I would like to reload the spent cases if possible. From the listing:

Caliber: .303 British
Bullet: MK7Z Spitzer
Grain Weight: 174
Muzzle Velocity: 2440 fps
Boxer Primed
Reloadable
480 Round bulk case packed in 48 round Boxes
Mark in MN
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

MnMosin wrote:I too ordered some of this. It should be delivered Monday. I thought corrosive ammo had to do with the primer? This is supposed to be boxer primed, did they make corrosive boxer primers? I would like to reload the spent cases if possible. From the listing:

Caliber: .303 British
Bullet: MK7Z Spitzer
Grain Weight: 174
Muzzle Velocity: 2440 fps
Boxer Primed
Reloadable
480 Round bulk case packed in 48 round Boxes
It is non corrosive ammo and the primer is what makes ammo corrosive or not. Well maybe some real old black powder ammo might be loaded with powder that's corrosive but I don't know. It's the primers that make corrosive salts by way of a chemical reaction when fired. There was corrosively primed ammo (boxer primed) used by the US and maybe some other countries a long time ago, but it's usually berdan primed military ammo that is corrosively primed. If you thought it might be corrosive because of some of what tjtm38 said about some rounds being corroded he was talking about the outside appearance from age and his reference to not changing his cleaning routine is just him being cautious. This is from CTD website " This ammo has a 174 grain Full Metal Jacket bullet, brass cased, boxer primed, non-corrosive, and is reloadable."
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

WeldonHunter wrote:[quote="MnMosin If you thought it might be corrosive because of some of what tjtm38 said about some rounds being corroded he was talking about the outside appearance from age and his reference to not changing his cleaning routine is just him being cautious."
I shot a lot of this stuff back in the mid 90s and have every reason to believe it is non-corrosive. However, if there is anything this forum has taught me it is to treat all surplus ammo as corrosive.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

tjtM38 wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:[quote="MnMosin If you thought it might be corrosive because of some of what tjtm38 said about some rounds being corroded he was talking about the outside appearance from age and his reference to not changing his cleaning routine is just him being cautious."
I shot a lot of this stuff back in the mid 90s and have every reason to believe it is non-corrosive. However, if there is anything this forum has taught me it is to treat all surplus ammo as corrosive.
Yep I'm with you there. Call me kooky but I clean all my firearms right after shooting them besides my 22 rifles after I've been out at 3am dispatching a varmint after my chickens. All the surplus ammo I have is corrosively primed anyway so all of my milsurp firearms get cleaned accordingly.
MnMosin

Post by MnMosin »

WeldonHunter wrote: It is non corrosive ammo and the primer is what makes ammo corrosive or not. Well maybe some real old black powder ammo might be loaded with powder that's corrosive but I don't know. It's the primers that make corrosive salts by way of a chemical reaction when fired. There was corrosively primed ammo (boxer primed) used by the US and maybe some other countries a long time ago, but it's usually berdan primed military ammo that is corrosively primed. If you thought it might be corrosive because of some of what tjtm38 said about some rounds being corroded he was talking about the outside appearance from age and his reference to not changing his cleaning routine is just him being cautious. This is from CTD website " This ammo has a 174 grain Full Metal Jacket bullet, brass cased, boxer primed, non-corrosive, and is reloadable."
Thanks. I received mine today and it looks exactly like the OP's. I only opened two of the inner boxes and the rounds I saw were '72 and '75 HXP. Looks very similar to the .30-06 HXP I get from the CMP. I am happy with it, wish I had bought more, but the mortgage does need to be paid.
Mark in MN