Oldie, but a Goodie.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Oldie, but a Goodie.

Post by millman »

Most everyone here will be sick of me posting this, but it was my first MN, and is still the strangest one I have. It is a Finnish M91, relined ala the P-series rifles, but it has no P marking. It only has 2 SA stamps, a "D" mark, and the Ser.# 39. I have never found any info on it other than that. I got it with no handguard, but Hlavinka found me the perfect match. Thanks MH. Anyway, here are some pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oldie, but a Goodie.

Post by millman »

I see you can only post 3 pics at a time. Next 3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

next.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

That is one nice rifle. I have had my greasy little finger prints all over it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

That's the famous P-25 that ain't a P-Series cause it doesn't have a P-Mark, but it has all the characteristics of a P-Series rifle, right down to the White Barrel, but still lacking a P-Mark and overlooking the fact that territorial aggression was going on at the time that rifle, that ain't what it appears to be was marked with only a two digit serial number because it was probably too early to decide that it was in fact what it's not today because what it wasn't marked as about 100 years ago makes it what it is today.
One Nice Rifle :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Jumperwire wrote:That's the famous P-25 that ain't a P-Series cause it doesn't have a P-Mark, but it has all the characteristics of a P-Series rifle, right down to the White Barrel, but still lacking a P-Mark and overlooking the fact that territorial aggression was going on at the time that rifle, that ain't what it appears to be was marked with only a two digit serial number because it was probably too early to decide that it was in fact what it's not today because what it wasn't marked as about 100 years ago makes it what it is today.
Thanks. That is just about my take on it. But to be perfectly clear. It is not a P-series.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

bump for the new guys who may have missed this one.

C. S. Lewis
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

millman wrote:
Jumperwire wrote:That's the famous P-25 that ain't a P-Series cause it doesn't have a P-Mark, but it has all the characteristics of a P-Series rifle, right down to the White Barrel, but still lacking a P-Mark and overlooking the fact that territorial aggression was going on at the time that rifle, that ain't what it appears to be was marked with only a two digit serial number because it was probably too early to decide that it was in fact what it's not today because what it wasn't marked as about 100 years ago makes it what it is today.
Thanks. That is just about my take on it. But to be perfectly clear. It is not a P-series.
Mybe it's just a prototype for the P-series :biggrin:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
martin08

Post by martin08 »

39-D

I once knew a lady.....

.... but she didn't have a gun like that! Oh, my.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Martin, I like the way you think.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow. I never will get tired of such a fantastic piece of history. Incredible!
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

I think it's a P-series! Early and unmarked, but a P-series nontheless.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Hlavinka wrote:I think it's a P-series! Early and unmarked, but a P-series nontheless.
Me too. Hey Millman, if you ever get a chance, post some pics of the barrel bands. I would like to compare them with mine. I think we decided,(on the old forum) that mine was missing a hand guard. just want to visualize it.
Great looking rifle :clap: :clap:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I'll post some pics when I get home.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Mill, I will loan you my "P" series stamp so you can fix your rifle, but I have to get it back. :twisted:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Jumperwire wrote:
Hlavinka wrote:I think it's a P-series! Early and unmarked, but a P-series nontheless.
Me too. Hey Millman, if you ever get a chance, post some pics of the barrel bands. I would like to compare them with mine. I think we decided,(on the old forum) that mine was missing a hand guard. just want to visualize it.
Great looking rifle :clap: :clap:
I still don't have pics, but I didn't forget you. The band are the later type of the band with screws.They have a notch inside for the handgaurd tab.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

These pics show the notch in the front and rear bands.

C. S. Lewis
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

WOW what a great find. Someone done forgot the P ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Thanks Millman. That's what mine look like. I guess I need to hunting a hand guard. :D