Not sure what I have.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
murray1246

Not sure what I have.

Post by murray1246 »

I got this Mosin Nagant (what im told) and I been looking up when/where it was made but Im not having any luck. Best I can tell it might be chineses guessing from the markings. Its in rough shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Not sure what I have.

Post by Miller Tyme »

It's a Mauser, (looks a lot like a Gew88, but Mausers aren't my cup of tea) with what appears to be Chinese stamped on it. The Chinese where big with Mausers pre Communist time.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not a Mosin, not even close, not a Mauser either, this is a Chinese copy of the German Commission 1888. Welcome to the board, Mosins are easy enough to find, any gunshop either has one ( or more) or can get you one easily enough. Chinese commission 88's are harder to find, but I would consider them as collectables for wall decoration rather than a rifle I would fire.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

YUP :pointup:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Len S

Post by Len S »

It's a "Hanyang" rifle a Chinese version of the German Gew.88.
..of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants. -Alexander Hamilton , The Federalist Papers
murray1246

Post by murray1246 »

Alright cool. How old you guys think this is? Should I try to fine someone to fix it up or keep it as is?
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

murray1246 wrote:Alright cool. How old you guys think this is? Should I try to fine someone to fix it up or keep it as is?
If you "fix it up" it will lose most of its value. There were about a million made from 1895 until mid 40's. It is doubtful what caliber it is chambered for the were originally chambered for the early German .318 bore 8x57mm cartridge, which continued to be used in China till 1935. Some may have been chambered for the 8x57S cartridge that the Chinese used in the Chiang Kai-shek Rifle. In any case I wouldn't consider it a shootable rifle. A collectable to be certain.

Resale value for this one may be perhaps $130, though that's a pure guess. It might be worth more to a collector of these rifles. One in very good condition might go for around $800.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
murray1246

Post by murray1246 »

It for sure isnt in good condition. Its been used as a deer rifle for years before I got it from a friend of mine but it hasnt been fired for a few years.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have a similar rifle but mine isn't Chinese. I notice yours does not have the typical barrel of a Gew88 Commission rifle which had a shroud around the barrel which made the barrel look very large in diameter. I am not sure if the Chinese changed the barrel or it was made that way from the beginning. I would have to look it up but you can get all the info you need from Googling the info the guys gave you above. Very cool old rifle.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Here is a picture of the end of the barrel on a German Feeling showing how large the barrel looks. The barrel is encased inside the shroud. Image
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not a Mosin, not even close, not a Mauser either, this is a Chinese copy of the German Commission 1888. Welcome to the board, Mosins are easy enough to find, any gunshop either has one ( or more) or can get you one easily enough. Chinese commission 88's are harder to find, but I would consider them as collectables for wall decoration rather than a rifle I would fire.
A copy of a conversion 1888 Commision rifle without the barrel shroud by the looks of it. I say oil it up to prevent further degradation & hang it on the wall. It's shooting days are over IMHO...
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Sgt lamb

Post by Sgt lamb »

judging from the reciver markings it maybe a fairly early hanyang later ones had typicaly a reverse swazika marking and the 2 diget year code you add 12, (1912 the founding year of the chinese republic) to the year code to find out the year made Mines a year 30 or 1942. like the other posters said consider it a wall hanger but your does look better than most