New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

r700308 wrote:Hi , Im Mike new member thanks for having me
Welcome to the board Mike :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

DougC wrote:New guy checking in. I really enjoy shooting my 1927 Tula Hex!
Welcome to the board, my 1927 Tula ex Romanian army rifle is one of the most accurate 91/30's I own :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1oddball wrote:Just saying hello. I'm new today and am looking forward to visiting here often. I have several pu snipers and one k98.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

cwdehaan wrote:Hi there. Just picked up a 39 Tula. Fun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to the board :vcool: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Deltabronco wrote:Hello,
I am new to this forum, but not new to the hobby. Glad to see this site prides itself on preserving surplus rifles by not condoning the "modernizing" of historical rifles. I look forward to participating in some good conversation about the hobby.
Andy
Hello Andy, welcome to the board, we definitely are not the place to see sporterized milsurps :lol: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Crackerbrown wrote:Hello, new member here but have been learning from this forum for a while. Seems like great people here!
Thank you, and welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tpsharp wrote:Hello to everyone on here I'm from Louisiana glad to be here. I just purchased my first Mosin and in love now, can't wait to shoot it.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tommyd123 wrote:Hey guys... my name is Tommy. .. I'm a proud new owner of a 1927 mosin nagant. ...love the gun...shoots great, kicks like a mule and is dead accurate
Hello Tommy, and welcome to the board, you will get used to that "kick" thing the more you shoot it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tommyd123 wrote:Hey guys...im new here...I just bought my first mosin the other day and wanted to know something....mine has both Russia manufacturer stamps on it....the bolt has the star..and the rifle has the arrow stamp.....the Koop thing is all the serial numbers match and are the original #'s...no double serial...I would show u a pic if I could.
Hello again Tommy, that mixture of parts is normal, what you have is a rifle that was refurbished by the Soviets after WW2, they mixed the parts up a bit. Perfectly normal and correct for your rifle. Star is Tula, the arrow is Izhevsk. The SOviets renumbered the rifle when they did the refurbishment.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

19ontheslide wrote:Hello all, new member to the forum here though I've been reading threads here for awhile. I currently own two Mosin Nagant rifles, one typical M-39 B-barrel and one that I just can't make heads or tails of. It's a high-wall, round receiver rifle stamped with the usual "SA" in box on the left side of the barrel, and in what is almost definitely a Fin straight grip stock (with finger-joints at the belly), but with its original Russian barrel (marked 1942) and sights (hooded front). Stock also has the "Z" and crossed cannons inside the gear stamp, and a well-centered stock bolt. I keep looking through my copy of Lapin's book but can't find anything quite matching it. I'll try to post some pictures up before long and hopefully I can get some info from the knowledgeable folks here. Looking forward to learning more about these fascinating rifles.
Welcome to the board, what you have is a Soviet M91/30 the FInns captured during the war and put back into service with their own troops. We call these Finn captures, but they are just rebuild 91/30's. Not all will have the Finn built stock like yours, that is a nice plus.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

HeyBigBear wrote:Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie to the site and the rifle and wanted to check in. Just picked up my first Nagant yesterday. Have been "Google'ing" about the rifle all day and came across this site. I'm excited to learn from the community and look forward to sharing my experiences.

Member of the Glock ID community under the same user name.

Best,

Ryan
Welcome to the board Ryan, might be some Glock owners here, not me, I am a wheelgun man, but I think I have seen a few Glock posts. Don't forget to tell us the details of that new Mosin :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
mrmark99

Post by mrmark99 »

Hello:
I started collecting the Finn capture Mosins about three years when I picked up a 91/30 that was "KRU1 stocked marked" and it was also "SA marked" on the barrel. That was 15 "Finn Marked Mosins" and a Finn marked SVT40 (Podolsk) ago. This year I displayed the Finn Mosins that I had at the KCMCC Leavenworth military collectors show in March.

Last Sunday I displayed four my "new" SA marked ones at the MVACA 1 day Sunday gunshow in Lenexa.
A Finn model M27, very late dated - 1940 dated. Uses a very early rear Russian M91(no slot for sling) stock mated to a late M27 front end ("Popsicle" stick front band re-enforcements).

A Finn model 28, modified to M28/30 specification. It is also appears to be the Earliest known M28 serial number with a SY Tikkka barrel. (84XX serial number)

A Finn marked SVT40 Podolsk arsenal (1940 dated - Continuation War capture)

A real Finn marked M91/30 sniper (Continuation war capture)(in a red post war laminated Russian sniper stock that I just happen to really like - I know its not right, but the right stock looks like its been rode a bit too hard)
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

Hi there,

I just bought my first Mosin Nagant after several hours of poring over the five rows of rifles on display at my local Cabela's. None I could find seemed quite as nice as the 1931 hex receiver Izhevsk I took home. The numbers match except for the one on the magazine floor. (I'm interested to know how much of that assembly is non-original given the re-arsenaled number there.) My first task is to figure out how to strip and clean this thing including getting all the cosmoline out of it. Then I need to take it to a gunsmith and have them fix the front sight in place again. It moves on the little dovetail mount without sliding all the way off, and there's an index mark struck across the sight and the mount, I just don't know how the sight is secure in place. I'll talk to a pro about that, as well as checking headspace. Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks for having me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jdsonice

Post by jdsonice »

Hi,

New member here. Jack D.

I own one Mosin 91/30 and got about 6 months ago. Love the gun. It is my only bolt action rifle.

Thanks

Jack
tommyd123

Post by tommyd123 »

Hey guys I'm new. .. please forgive my mistakes. I'm a new mn 91/30 owner. Love this thing. I want more
praetorianseven

Post by praetorianseven »

Good afternoon. This is my first post and you should understand that I am seriously addicted to Mosin Nagant rifles and ALL their variants. Thanks for letting me join!
SgtSandman228

Post by SgtSandman228 »

Howdy everyone. Actually looking at a nice 1940 Tula to purchase in the next few days and hopefully I'll be part of the ranks soon enough. Actually why I joined: had some markings on the receiver and had trouble finding the meaning. It's supposed to be a sniper, but the markings were not the usual "CN" mark typical of Tula snipers. Picture is attached if anyone here can help. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tamera

Post by Tamera »

neal45 wrote:I'm Neal aka nwellons. I was a member of the old forum and am glad to be back. Dolk has done a great job.

I've been collecting for about 4 years and have some interesting ones. Looking forward to being here.
I am new, too, to this site. They made me quit shooting my mosin nagant 91/30 tonight at the indoor range so I'm hoping to find out where to buy ammo I can shoot during the week at the range...

I look forward to any info anyone is willing to share.
SgtSandman228

Post by SgtSandman228 »

SgtSandman228 wrote:Howdy everyone. Actually looking at a nice 1940 Tula to purchase in the next few days and hopefully I'll be part of the ranks soon enough. Actually why I joined: had some markings on the receiver and had trouble finding the meaning. It's supposed to be a sniper, but the markings were not the usual "CN" mark typical of Tula snipers. Picture is attached if anyone here can help. Thanks!
Did a bunch more research, found out that it's actually a Izhevsk mosin. Given that the confirmation that it is a sniper on Izhevsk mosins is a serial stamp on the left side of the bore that matches the scope serial, I will have to inspect this rifle again.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

FineRedMist wrote:Hi there,

I just bought my first Mosin Nagant after several hours of poring over the five rows of rifles on display at my local Cabela's. None I could find seemed quite as nice as the 1931 hex receiver Izhevsk I took home. The numbers match except for the one on the magazine floor. (I'm interested to know how much of that assembly is non-original given the re-arsenaled number there.) My first task is to figure out how to strip and clean this thing including getting all the cosmoline out of it. Then I need to take it to a gunsmith and have them fix the front sight in place again. It moves on the little dovetail mount without sliding all the way off, and there's an index mark struck across the sight and the mount, I just don't know how the sight is secure in place. I'll talk to a pro about that, as well as checking headspace. Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks for having me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Headspace check, you can do that yourself with the Okie headspace gauges. Otherwise a shim cut from beer can metal should tighten up that front sight. Welcome to the board.
Theodore Roosevelt