Rare rifle? This marking what does it mean?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Buckmaster9130

Rare rifle? This marking what does it mean?

Post by Buckmaster9130 »

My mosin stock markings what does this mean Ive had it on three rifles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yeah machine guns kill sure, I don't doubt that. Sniper rifles end wars..
redspoon

Re: Rare rifle? This marking what does it mean?

Post by redspoon »

Have seen the yellow paint on some T53's, not sure of the significance though.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

It's hard to make out what I'm looking at with the shinny non-original looking finish on the stock. I'm surprised the yellow didn't come off when it was applied. Looks like maybe a letter to designate something. Not sure what.

Edit - what are the details on the rifle in question. Model, maker, year, etc.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looking at the altered finish on this rifle, the fact that you have three rifles with the same mark & the likelihood that said obscure marking has never been seen before indicates this was done by someone stateside post Arsenal.

As a side note; One should put on a shirt for picture day. :shock:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Somebody had some yellow paint and before they refinished the rifle they sprayed it on there I am afraid more than likely is the answer. Not rare if you have yellow paint? Don't have any here. Bill
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

I stopped using the word "Rare" the day after I found my M24 and Millman found one too. :?
Buckmaster9130

Post by Buckmaster9130 »

Found something you might to scroll down a bit tho http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks05.htm
Buckmaster9130

Post by Buckmaster9130 »

lol I caught the jab with the non- original finish XD No worries I just used spray laquer
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Buckmaster9130 wrote:Found something you might to scroll down a bit tho http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks05.htm
Certainly is a possibility. More pictures of the rifle would help to put it in the proper context. There could be other markings on the stock or metal that might give more clues as to where the rifle was and why it may have received the painted marking. A better photo of the marking would help too, there's a lot of glare on that one. Some outdoor pictures would provide better lighting.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
SKhiSm 59-66

Post by SKhiSm 59-66 »

Buckmaster9130 wrote:Found something you might to scroll down a bit tho http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks05.htm
THAT, sir, led me straight to the identification of a stamp on my first MN which I picked up yesterday evening. It turned out to be a real surprise. If you're interested, keep an eye out for a post from me about it, I'll have it up with pics soon as I can get to it, just have a ton of stuff going on, family coming this w/e etc. Anyway thanks a TON 'cause I was beating myself to death trying to ID this stamp.
"And at this range, I'm a real Frederick Zoller"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Buckmaster9130 wrote:lol I caught the jab with the non- original finish XD No worries I just used spray laquer
Ugh. Stay away from that awful stuff.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Buckmaster9130 wrote:lol I caught the jab with the non- original finish XD No worries I just used spray laquer
So now there's no point in us discussing the marking on the wood since the potential provenance & history has been forever tarnished. This is a Preservation forum, please remember that. Re-read the rules please.

Nothing further to discuss here folks... Locking it down.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"