Annual Thanksgiving range day

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MarksmanTim

Annual Thanksgiving range day

Post by MarksmanTim »

Just another quick range session. This time with the M52 sniper. I finally found some .311 and .312 copper jacketed bullets to load for this rifle. It was time to test them out! I set up at 100 yards. I'm happy with the results knowing that the muzzle end of the rifling is pretty worn. I was noticing a pattern that occasional shots, that would normally be chalked up as fliers, were all landing in the same spot making me think there's a side of the bore worn more than the other which sometimes causes the bullet to fly off the normal path. I thought it would be a nick in the crown, but I don't see anything.

Anyway, like I said I'm happy with the results and enjoyed another peaceful few hours outside before the family madness yesterday afternoon. I hope everyone had a great holiday!

Obligatory pics:
1127141217.jpg
1127141217a.jpg
1127141217d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Joeinthehills

Re: Annual Thanksgiving range day

Post by Joeinthehills »

Tim, it appears that it doesn't have the red shellac finish that most refurbished snipers have?

I haven't tried either of mine out they are 1943 and 1944r dated refurbs.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Joeinthehills wrote:Tim, it appears that it doesn't have the red shellac finish that most refurbished snipers have?

I haven't tried either of mine out they are 1943 and 1944r dated refurbs.
Joe,

That's because this rifle isn't refurbished or Russian. :bwink: This one is dated 1954. :D
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Ah so... :facepalm1:

I thought virtually all got sent back to Mother Russia at the end of their service life unless they were used by the Finn's.

BTW, where's the snow on the ground? I thought that you guys got hit hard?
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Joeinthehills wrote:Ah so... :facepalm1:

I thought virtually all got sent back to Mother Russia at the end of their service life unless they were used by the Finn's.

BTW, where's the snow on the ground? I thought that you guys got hit hard?
This one was made by the Hungarians.

I live about 10 miles north of where the band hit, so I only got 3-4 inches. My work in the city of Buffalo got about 1 foot, but 2 miles (or less) south of my work got 6 feet. :big shock:

It was a very narrow lake effect band and it stalled out in one area and never moved really.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Tim, what distance were you shooting this beauty? That looks like good shooting to me. Right in the kill zone.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

bunkysdad wrote:Tim, what distance were you shooting this beauty? That looks like good shooting to me. Right in the kill zone.
It was only 100 yards. I agree, accuracy is certainly still good enough to be used in the rifles intended role, but out at greater distances I'm sure accuracy would need to be measured in "minute of man".
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated