Quick range day with the M91 B barrel

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MarksmanTim

Quick range day with the M91 B barrel

Post by MarksmanTim »

I finally got around to getting the jammed bore slug out of my one and only M91 which happens to also be a B barrel. Luckily I was able to do it without causing any damage to the crown or rifling. Evidence of that is the results of the shooting on Saturday... 100 yards from a rest. The covered holes and one other in the middle were the first 5 I shot (the black dot blew off from so many holes after placing it) These were more to get used to it discharging again and to see where it was going to print. Once I knew where my point of aim should be I slowed my rate of fire and concentrated on accuracy. This was a 10 shot group and is the result shown plus one more from before, so there are 11 holes. The one off the paper was an errant shot from another rifle. I was impressed with the results. Especially because I despise the M91 sights. They are so hard to focus with. My eyes are pretty decent too! Oh, and I was using hand loads: 168 gr SMK .308 diameter HP BT, over 50.0 gr of H380 with a standard Federal LR primer.
1122141233a.jpg
1122141233.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
daveshady

Re: Quick range day with the M91 B barrel

Post by daveshady »

Nice work!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Another good report with .308" bullets. Hmmmm
I like it.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

bunkysdad wrote:Another good report with .308" bullets. Hmmmm
I like it.
My understanding was that the B barrels, like all Finn built barrels prior to the M39 had .308 bores when new. The M39 was built with .310 bores. Since the B barrels were all originally M91 length, they were made in .308, hence if you have an M39 B barrel it will also have a .308 bore.

I'm using my own words here and talking generalizations. Of course bores wear with use so YMMV.

I use .308 bullets in my M28/30 and .3105 or .311 bullets in my VKT M39. Those two rifles get the most action at the range out of any in my collection.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

DAMN FINE SHOOTING!!!!! The move to a .308/.309 bullet is my next venture after this "mild load" I'm working up. I had read that the M91 Finns LOVE .308 bullets. I plan on trying some 150 gn. Hornady's I have that my Savage doesn't like. Damn good shooting.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice group, I could shoot groups like that if I walked up to the target and put the muzzle to the paper. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I see stuff like this and feel kinda bad about my own shooting. Well, not really. lol Good job!!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Wow! Very nice shooting! My B barrel m91 shoots good but not that good! Ok, that's probably my fault..
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

TopperT wrote:DAMN FINE SHOOTING!!!!! The move to a .308/.309 bullet is my next venture after this "mild load" I'm working up. I had read that the M91 Finns LOVE .308 bullets. I plan on trying some 150 gn. Hornady's I have that my Savage doesn't like. Damn good shooting.
Thanks for the positive comments. I also have a bunch of 150 gr Hornady's in .308 but I haven't loaded any yet because I wanted to finish this random box of 168 gr bullets I had. Now I'm down to 150 gr and 174 gr as my bullet choices to work loads up for.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nice group, I could shoot groups like that if I walked up to the target and put the muzzle to the paper. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Thanks. Don't think that I couldn't read the rest of that! hahaha :chuckles:
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

jimpierce7 wrote:I see stuff like this and feel kinda bad about my own shooting. Well, not really. lol Good job!!
Hey you're shooting is just fine! You're range day posts is what inspired me to share my range day fun! Keep it up!
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Lotema wrote:Wow! Very nice shooting! My B barrel m91 shoots good but not that good! Ok, that's probably my fault..
Thanks! Practice practice practice! haha. I think my hand loads helped enhance that accuracy!

I really want to get a B barrel M39. Anyone have one they want to sell?
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated