T-53

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: T-53

Post by Longcolt44 »

They are a '53, ugly, '55 good. He wants 180. I quick checked the '53 bore and it was pertty dirty but I'll give them a better look tomorrow at the "board meeting".
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Many big dealers hoard and save things. In the Milsurp business it is just away to survive the bad times. Right now I know at least one dealer who is hoarding 91/30's. There was just a notice that some big supplier is out of 91/30's, can you see the hand writing on the wall Folks? That is how a certain entity is driving up the prices for M39's, he owns them all but he got greedy mix and matching parts to increase his profit per rifle and now others are buying from him and too big for him to control. I hope he eats them all but I know many people who think he is just great, if they only listened and knew the truth. Bill
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The two Omega T-53s I got today are:

1. 1954.11, nice clean markings
* Non-matching
* M-44 cleaning rod
* A quite decent stock, very few dings, but the finish is worn
* Bore is not pitted but shows some wear, It shouldn't be a bad shooter.
* No missing or broken parts
* Blue is 90%
I would rate it overall as good

2. 1955, nice clean markings
* Non-matching
* M-44 cleaning rod
* Stock is cracked but repairable and not beat to hell,finish is worn
* Bore is not pitted but is very worn, rifleing is thin, it is questionable if this one will group
* No missing parts, no broken metal parts
* Blue is about 80%
I would rate it overall as fair

I will shoot #1 tomorrow and report with photos. Number 2 needs some quality time with the stock before shooting.

Edit: The '55 has an Izhevsk butt-plate, with the old serial crossed out and Chinese characters added, it also has an Izhevsk cocking piece.........
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
lmc8541

Post by lmc8541 »

where is this Omega? the website i found does not mention complete rifles, and how much are they from them?
USMC '85-'89 Weapons Co. 1/5 SSP
Deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his Rifle!
Okami099

Post by Okami099 »

I saw Bryan from AIM post that he would be having some for sale soon as well. :-)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Imc, I asked the same question recently. They don't list them on their website, you have to call and talk to them.

Man, they sure list a lot of parts though, huh? :mrgreen:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

lmc8541 wrote:where is this Omega? the website i found does not mention complete rifles, and how much are they from them?
Omega Weapons Systems

$69.00 plus shipping
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Final report.

I bought a total of 3 T-53s from Omega. Here is what I ended up with.

One very good, all matching except butt-plate, nice bore, good wood and metal, good shooter.

One good, no matching, good metal and wood, good shooter

Then there is the last one: I found out what keyholing meant when I had to move in to 30 yards to get on target with the last one........It sure would make a nasty wound.

Number three ends up as a parts gun, but no complaints. It worked out to $132.00 shipped, each for two rifles. The parts are a bonus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Man, that's crazy. I have heard of tumblers, but never saw the imprint from one. I like your summary of final costs...I'd say you were accurate!

Over-all, congrats. And I'd keep that rifle and target both. It would make for good conversation when a gun buddy stops by!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks like you are hitting center plate...I would call it a keeper. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Cool SA, (no that's not Spanish). Looks like you stood back and threw bullets at the plate.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Longcolt44 wrote:Cool SA, (no that's not Spanish). Looks like you stood back and threw bullets at the plate.

They really did print nicely. :D

That old gal has fired her last round.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Dang, never seen the outline of a bullet on a target that is vertical. May she rest in peace.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

The one I bought from Omega was out of the prior bunch, I was lucky to keep five rounds anywhere near a paper plate... more like on the 3' by 3' chunk of plywood that the target was stapled to! And all the rounds went through sideways as well at 25 yards. I ain't rich enough to spin the wheel with them again and take a chance, I guess I'll wait and pick me up a decent M44 when I come across one for my "fireball" fix! :biggrin:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I think they are all over the charts. I got mine from Omega also (first batch) and it is a very good shooter. Will keep up with any of my other M44's.

It depends on how badly they were abused I guess.

Dolk
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

It'd also help if Don would actually grade them instead of listing them all as "Fair" when some were much less than that rating.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

mogunner wrote:It'd also help if Don would actually grade them instead of listing them all as "Fair" when some were much less than that rating.
I suspect, that as cheap as they are selling, he cant spend the time to clean the barrels to grade them. I am glad I rolled the dice, but I am stopping while I am ahead.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SA1911a1 wrote:
mogunner wrote:It'd also help if Don would actually grade them instead of listing them all as "Fair" when some were much less than that rating.
I suspect, that as cheap as they are selling, he cant spend the time to clean the barrels to grade them. I am glad I rolled the dice, but I am stopping while I am ahead.
Me too, I actually only bought mine to try to "bump" Millman as "the worst T53" contest a few years back. I thought I had it there for a while till he unleashed "the carp shooter" or what ever it was called. "The carp shooter" needs to go in the "Showcase"! :wink:

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

dolk wrote:
Me too, I actually only bought mine to try to "bump" Millman as "the worst T53" contest a few years back. I thought I had it there for a while till he unleashed "the carp shooter" or what ever it was called. "The carp shooter" needs to go in the "Showcase"! :wink:

Dolk
Agreed.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"